• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Old man from NJ

electricstart

Going to be 65 Very soon but still in good shape and health. Bow hunter for 40 plus years mostly from trees . I have used baker ,loggy ,old man api and few summits climbers . Still use the summit viper. I used many different hang ons even made own for years .Used mostly tree steps or spikes until the ladders and sticks came out . Now use Lone wolf and river edge hang ons with there ladder sticks. I also have a couple of ladder stands . I hunt with crossbow ,compound and recurve . Harvested my share of whitetail with all the tools above . Now I got the bug to try the saddle to harvest a whitetail which will be cruzr xc hoping it will be most comfortable for my old back . Done many hours on you tube to make this decision. Have not picked out platform yet might use the steps around the tree. I only plan to go 15 to 18 feet up. Believe or not really don't like heights . I always feel real safe climbing with a lineman's and always use a safe harness with tether . Did not have all this safety years ago . I also do gun and black powder hunt that's 50 plus years . Very Happy to find this forum and have already got a wealth of information and probably helped make my decision to try this . As you already Know I am obsessed with whitetail hunting . After 50 plus years it is still as exciting as year one and I think when I receive my saddle it will open a whole new way to hunt these elusive animals . I have to be honest after 50 years they still make a fool out of me some times and I never stop learning .I have no private land never had always public property .One big reason for saddle many more people in woods these days( non hunters). Thank you for any advice on saddle hunting and would be happy to share some of my experience on whitetails if any one needs it .

Welcome from Georgia. I think you’ll find the switch less challenging than you think.

Welcome. Great comments and why I keep returning to the woods.
NJ gets a bad rap but was a great place to grow up.

Welcome. Great comments and why I keep returning to the woods.
NJ gets a bad rap but was a great place to grow up.
I am North NJ which nothing like the city areas . Since they started doing QDMA Bucks have gotten older and Bigger and our session is very long Sept 12 to Feb 20 this year and if you get all the licenses and permits you can take 6 bucks and unlimited Doe in most zones .A lot of public land . Why I stay . If you hunt bear some of the biggest black bear in the country if the governor lets you hunt them Political BS is a problem they should let Fish and game do there job and they do a great job.
Thank You

Welcome from Maine! Thanks for offering your half century of whitetail knowledge. God knows we can all use all the help we can get against these old survival machines. That will now make about 28 million hours of experience on this site:)

I am North NJ which nothing like the city areas . Since they started doing QDMA Bucks have gotten older and Bigger and our session is very long Sept 12 to Feb 20 this year and if you get all the licenses and permits you can take 6 bucks and unlimited Doe in most zones .A lot of public land . Why I stay . If you hunt bear some of the biggest black bear in the country if the governor lets you hunt them Political BS is a problem they should let Fish and game do there job and they do a great job.
Thank You
you’ve got it dialed in :)
Have had great hunts in Hunterdon and Sussex Co. up north-

Welcome from Maine! Thanks for offering your half century of whitetail knowledge. God knows we can all use all the help we can get against these old survival machines. That will now make about 28 million hours of experience on this site:)
Deer Humble me every season not just big old bucks . Never stop learning . Maybe the saddle will change some of that .

Thank You

Back