• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New one here

Robbo

I’ve been shooting trad bows off and on for 5 years or so but I have committed to using one this season. I feel real comfortable out to 20 yards. I see some guys kill stuff out to 30 and 40 with trad bows but isn’t it about being close? Is my 20 yard range good enough?

I’d say absolutely. Shoot at what distance your comfortable at. Try to get your setups close to where you think they will be or cross so you can get some close shots and have fun being in the woods.
Best of luck

That makes me feel good then, thank you! The Trad world is so much fun!

I agree with @Allegheny Tom. I think for every trad shooter you hear about shooting 30-40 yds you will find ten that don't shoot beyond 20. Also, I know of some guys that wont shoot beyond 20 at a whitetail but, will stretch that to 30 or so yards with a bigger target like an elk.

Personally, I like 15 yards or closer. You should listen to the Stickbow Chronicles "I hunt close" serious its full of stories of guys shooting game at sub five yards.

It is whatever you feel comfortable with but impo 40 is way to far for trad gear but as long as they are not maiming game animals more power to them! As hunters we have a responsibility to the animals to make clean quick kills and responsibility to put reasonable limitations on our ability as it pertains to the game we are after!!! I think something like elk maybe 40 yards could be acceptable if you can consistently hit the kill zone at that distance but whitetail deer are to quick to react to be shooting them at that distance but what do I know just some dumb hick from NC so take it for what its worth and just practice enough to be comfortable at the range you plan on hunting and be safe good hunting brother!!!

I have only killed one deer beyond 20-25 yards and everything was perfect and lined up for the shot.

I once shot at a monster buck in the middle of a picked soybean field while laying on my back. I was walking to a tree line and he came busting out of it right under my intended stand nose to the ground and moving fast. I layed down on my pack just hoping he would pass by without seeing me. He stopped for a broadside shot on my left so I took a shot. The arrow was flying perfectly and I thought I got him and it dropped right under his shoulder. After he took off I walked to get my arrow and it was over 50 paces which is about 45 or so yards and the arrow was stuck in the ground just beyond his tracks. I had no idea it was that far when I let that arrow go. It would have been a helluva shot if I pulled it off...especially from my back.

Having said that I have killed over 50 deer in under 20 yards. Most in the 10-15 yard range. I set up for a 20 yard max shot and hope they are closer. Some a few feet away. I practice for 30 yards.

Like ever thing. The few guys who did it will tell the whole world how great they are thanks to the internet. Mean while the other 99% of the other guys are doing it the right way.

I have never shot a deer past 12 yards in my life. That is even when I shot with a compound. I just let them get close and if they don't give me the perfect shot, I don't shoot. I've already accepted my limitations as a traditional archer and I live happily with the consequences.

I have never shot a deer past 12 yards in my life. That is even when I shot with a compound. I just let them get close and if they don't give me the perfect shot, I don't shoot. I've already accepted my limitations as a traditional archer and I live happily with the consequences.
Fantastic attitude. I love that.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply’s, Im having so much fun on this journey!

Ive heard if you can hit a paper plate youre good. I think a plate is a little big given theres no such thing as plate fever, but if your groups (with a broadhead) are consistently tight and you can get a deer within that range youre good to go. dont compare yourself to someone else.

For me a 20 yard shot is iffy. My preferred is 12 yards and I feel real good to 15. I know guys that are deadly to 30 yards with their longbows but that is not most guys.

20 is plenty.....particularly for a deer. Honestly, that’s pretty good shooting.

Anything beyond 20......depends on the day.

It's great that you know YOUR range limit. You just have to know where that is in your stand. Take a range finder with you so you can be confident in where you can shoot from your stand/blind. It can be a benefit to shoot stickbow. I once was sitting just off a trial and when a young buck walked by at ~5 yards, I cussed myself out for carrying a compound that day. I KNOW I could have shot him with my recurve but had no chance to draw and shoot a compound at that range. Enjoy your time in the woods and shoot straight.

Back