• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New pellet grill... what do I need to cook?

IkemanTX

Christmas came a few days early for me. I got home from a work trip to find this gargantuan Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie smoker! I was pretty good this year, but probably not good enough for this!

7b94a73c318051fcfe877641a3efd396.jpg

Now the question is.... what recipes do I need to do?
I think the first thing will be venison ribs, but if y’all have any smoker recipes send them my way.

Baby back ribs using the 3-2-1 method are pretty good!
221 with baby backs. 321 with st louis. Pork shoulder is tough to screw up. Look up Memphis Dust in the amazing ribs website for a rub. It's one of my favorites for pork

I got a rec tec. After looking at yours, im not sure why. Any tenderloin to grill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I would do pork ribs first. They're forgiving enough you can learn new equipment, but usually still have something edible.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Congratulations! You can cook anything you want, just make sure you have quality pellets and keep them dry, any moisture in the smoker or on the pellets can cause issues. Follow manufacturers recommended instructions for cleaning and you'll be making delicious meals for years to come. I just did two slabs of ribs, (3-2-1 method works very well) and followed that up with a brisket! Last week was venison meatloaf and the week before was jerky!

Setup and initial burn off went down without a hitch. Kind of weird setting the temp for your grill on your phone...

I need to shoot a pig for this sucker, that’s for sure.

Recipes the wife and I are definitely going to do

Venison ribs
Beef ribs (wife isn’t a huge fan of pork ribs)
Brisket
Homemade bacon
Pork butt
Suckling wild pig (since it will probably fit a 40lb piglet in it)

The options are endless, but it sure will be fun to try it all.

Beer can chickens are fantastic on it. Let me know how the brisket goes I've been wanting to try one o. It

The reverse sear. It'll be the best steak you eat.

Take and salt and pepper your steak, preheat your grill to 225-250.

Smoke the steak to 130-135.

While its smoking get a skillet blazing hot with olive oil. Make sure that it has a strong sizzle when you put the meat in there. Add a tablespoon of butter when you drop your steaks in. Cook until you have a nice crisped outer crust on the steak. Flip it and add rosemary and minced garlic and a bit more butter. Use your spoon to drizzle the melted butter, garlic and rosemary over your steak. Once that side is seared, make an aluminum foil envelope and put your steak inside. Let it rest 10 minutes.

And while its resting, you should stretch and drink water. Cause your wife is gonna be grateful.

I copied and pasted this from a reply I made from another post a few days ago! My go to recipe.

The reverse sear. It'll be the best steak you eat.

Take and salt and pepper your steak, preheat your grill to 225-250.

Smoke the steak to 130-135.

While its smoking get a skillet blazing hot with olive oil. Make sure that it has a strong sizzle when you put the meat in there. Add a tablespoon of butter when you drop your steaks in. Cook until you have a nice crisped outer crust on the steak. Flip it and add rosemary and minced garlic and a bit more butter. Use your spoon to drizzle the melted butter, garlic and rosemary over your steak. Once that side is seared, make an aluminum foil envelope and put your steak inside. Let it rest 10 minutes.

And while its resting, you should stretch and drink water. Cause your wife is gonna be grateful.

I copied and pasted this from a reply I made from another post a few days ago! My go to recipe.
I love my GMG, looks like you got the Cadillac!
I second the reverse sear. But I go to 120 on backstraps then finish in a scorching hot pan.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Also, stay away from traeger brand pellets. They use oils to flavor the wood. Its all oak or maple but flavored oils are used for the others. I believe they are being sued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back