• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Range Finder Info.

Blacksmith

SH Member
Being a Trad Shooter I have never owned or tried a range finder but would like to try one. Does anyone use one for a monocular and not carry binos? I use mine a lot but would like to get away from them if I could buy a 6 - 8 power RF. Hunting eastern wood lots. No need for heavy duty binos.

I usually don't carry bino's bowhunting. I use my rangefinder often and it works ok. Better than nothing but no substitute for good binoculars. Pretty thick where I hunt so 60-70 yards is all I can see until late in the season. Acceptable for me at those ranges so I leave the binos at camp. There are a few trees where I have the million-dollar view and I bring my binos to those spots.

Check out the Hawke endurance range finder. It has a red display that is not over powering.

Purchased the Vortex Razor HD 4000 for this exact reason, so I did not need to carry Binos if I did not want. It had the best glass and 25mm lens at a decent price and lifetime warranty. It replaced my Leupold 1600 TBR, who digital display lost have the digits after 3 years.

I'm looking at the Maven range finder. I think the higher end ones will be better optical quality. They have really good glass. I think it is 7x power.

I think it is a good idea, especially in the Eastern woods.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Had the Muddy. I'm not a wimp but, those buttons didn't seem to make it one hand friendly. Or is that the norm? First year with one as I'm using the Mini in the late season.

I’ve been using the same vortex ranger 1300 for the last 3 years. Illuminated reticle. 6x mag. Flawless for me since purchase and you won’t need to take out a second mortgage to get one either.

Back