• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Ravin Crossbows - 500FPS with Electric Cocking and a New "Vertical" Crossbow

iLOVEthehunt

Curious to see what everyone thinks of these new "freaks of nature"
https://ravincrossbows.com/shop/

The R500E has an optional electric cocking mechanism. I have the R26 and love it, but the prices on these new crossbows are insane. With tax, you'll be looking at $4k for the R500E sniper package.

The R18 "vertical" crossbow is the weirdest thing I've ever seen. It's $1,550 with a speed of 330 fps, which puts it in line with the Hickory Creek vertical crossbow as far as speed, but at twice the price.

Interesting. What does your R26 really weigh. I find advertised weights are not accurate. Just curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's all pretty sweet technology. But agree with @kenn1320 here. This stuff is going to start changing the rules. I like the option of a crossbow. I think they should be allowed during archery season. But they way they keep making them faster and ability to shoot farther is going to have a negative effect on the seasons. Or they will be forced to restrict them. But I know deep down all the DNR cares about is money. (like anything these day)

Good lord guys, can we not have even a single frigging thread about crossbows without the inevitable camps of bow vs. crossbow or regulations need to change coming in and polluting the chat? This section is specifically designated for xbow talk, not your opinions against them. It would be great to beat able to read a thread without it and stick to the topic. My thread about the double shot xbow was also high jacked. You can do better, and if not, Facebook is waiting on you now!

As to the technology involved, it is great to see Ravin pushing the envelope on this speed and the other more compact xbow. It will be interesting to see when/if this translates to compounds.

Good lord guys, can we not have even a single frigging thread about crossbows without the inevitable camps of bow vs. crossbow or regulations need to change coming in and polluting the chat? This section is specifically designated for xbow talk, not your opinions against them. It would be great to beat able to read a thread without it and stick to the topic. My thread about the double shot xbow was also high jacked. You can do better, and if not, Facebook is waiting on you now!

As to the technology involved, it is great to see Ravin pushing the envelope on this speed and the other more compact xbow. It will be interesting to see when/if this translates to compounds.

They look like fun. Costly fun. If I had unlimited funds I would buy some for fun. I might consider the R18.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
It's all pretty sweet technology. But agree with @kenn1320 here. This stuff is going to start changing the rules. I like the option of a crossbow. I think they should be allowed during archery season. But they way they keep making them faster and ability to shoot farther is going to have a negative effect on the seasons. Or they will be forced to restrict them. But I know deep down all the DNR cares about is money. (like anything these day)
Well I wouldn’t say it was just about money. As a general statement, there has never been more deer than now. In most states they are practically begging hunters to thin the herd. Although, I do agree that if xbows keep advancing someone is going to take action. That action may be more politically based, rather than scientifically based, but it won’t matter, the result will be the same.

Well I wouldn’t say it was just about money. As a general statement, there has never been more deer than now. In most states they are practically begging hunters to thin the herd. Although, I do agree that if xbows keep advancing someone is going to take action. That action may be more politically based, rather than scientifically based, but it won’t matter, the result will be the same.
I changed my mind on the laws. A deers reaction time is still to great at a distance for me to think it is a huge advantage. If someone wants to burn 4k+ on a crossbow to kill deer. Have at it. If they really want them thinned, they will extend gun seasons longer.

The insane thing about this bow is that is would make me legal in Nevada with my disability permit but the R26 I have is not legal. Nevada requires a 14'' minimum power stoke and this is 15''. After it hits the market and people get feedback on it I may consider selling my 26 for the regular R500...not the electric version.

I was able to play with a r26 a few weeks ago. It’s so much smaller than it looks in magazines. I was a little leery of all that stored energy being in my face.

I was able to play with a r26 a few weeks ago. It’s so much smaller than it looks in magazines. I was a little leery of all that stored energy being in my face.

I love my 26. It’s definitely a lot of stored energy in the face but I never feel uncomfortable using it. It’s super easy to swing around the tree in the saddle. Much easier than my other two larger x-bows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super hot crossbows scare me too. Several manufacturers have had their speed demon models blow up and I've witnessed it in person on multiple occasions.

It's like a super hot cartridge or hot-rod engine or ultralight climbing sticks. Pushing limits is fun, until you push that scooch too far.

Compound bow manufacturers run into the same issue, but less than they used to. They pushed the limits, found where they lay, and now more or less trod roads well-travelled. Crossbow tech will settle down eventually, and Nutterbustet will buy hisself an 800fps model so he can shoot through 3 does at once.

I can understand these insane prices of Ravin because of their innovative styles...but still. Who has the money to drop on these things? Repair must be a nightmare as well.

So at 500fps where does that put this thing on effective range? Had a fella one time tell me he can effectively kill a deer at 100 yards with his crossbow and I told him BS, but maybe he wasn’t joking.

Super hot crossbows scare me too. Several manufacturers have had their speed demon models blow up and I've witnessed it in person on multiple occasions.

It's like a super hot cartridge or hot-rod engine or ultralight climbing sticks. Pushing limits is fun, until you push that scooch too far.

Compound bow manufacturers run into the same issue, but less than they used to. They pushed the limits, found where they lay, and now more or less trod roads well-travelled. Crossbow tech will settle down eventually, and Nutterbustet will buy hisself an 800fps model so he can shoot through 3 does at once.

You must be using the new heat seeking bolts that are coming out!

I love my 26. It’s definitely a lot of stored energy in the face but I never feel uncomfortable using it. It’s super easy to swing around the tree in the saddle. Much easier than my other two larger x-bows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love my r26 too but I change my string and cables every year on it just to be on the safe side. That little thing is pretty abusive on the cables check them really close where they go through the cams. I picked up one of those Ravin presses on sale and do them myself.

Back