• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New saddle from Wild Edge for 2021

DMTJAGER

Just stumbled across this at the Wild Edge WS. Don't know if it has become common knowledge so sorry if this is posted in futility.
For those interested consideration:

I wonder if saddles will be getting more and more expensive, like these hang on stands? I just saw the new Beast stand for $625!!
First allow me to say I believe absolutely 100% a person is absolutely and completely entitled to spend their money any way they choose and is of no concern let alone the business of anyone else.

Having said that I feel the majority of hunting equipment and clothing ESPECIALLY because the majority is made in China or in factories other than American is obscenely over priced and I spend MY money accordingly
Is the new Beast stand overpriced IN MY OPINION
Yes absolutely I believe it to be obscenely overpriced and I will not even consider be buying it
But for others it will in their opinion represent a sound investment especially if they hunt strictly public land run n gun
Hell I have difficulty leaving my 30 year old $130 Vantage point stands out on private land for months at a time and thats with using two separate way to lock them onto the tree and I leave the bottom 4 SITS out sometimes as well.
NWIH I'd ever leave a Beast, LW or LWCG treestand out even if I hunted it in the am and were coming back to it for a PM hunt if on public land
But again stands like the LWCG and Beast don't appeal to private land hunters and IMO were designed for are specifically marketed to people who hunt predominantly public and run n gun and never leave their stands or climbing methods in the tree once their done hunting for that day or sit

Lastly to make a stand that large and that light it has to be of minimal dimensions and for us hunters that start at 250lbs in our B-day suits before we put on so much as a sock and the closer your fully dressed and equipped weight gets to 300lbs the more one had better as closely as you can check to insure such a minimalist stand design will hold up as well and as for long as other heavier less expensive designs will.
If your a big man and big hunter like me and my weight fluctuates between 230 and 260lbs let alone if you weigh more I SAH would be in no screaming azz hurry to be a bata tester for this stand.
Again all are just MY opinions

Last edited:
First allow me to say I believe absolutely 100% a person is absolutely and completely entitled to spend their money any way they choose and is of no concern let alone the business of anyone else.

Having said that I feel the majority of hunting equipment and clothing ESPECIALLY because the majority is made in China or in factories other than American is obscenely over priced and I spend MY money accordingly
Is the new Beast stand overpriced IN MY OPINION
Yes absolutely I believe it to be obscenely overpriced and I will not even consider be buying it
But for others it will in their opinion represent a sound investment especially if they hunt strictly public land run n gun
Hell I have difficulty leaving my 30 year old $130 Vantage point stands out on private land for months at a time and thats with using two separate way to lock them onto the tree and I leave the bottom 4 SITS out sometimes as well.
NWIH I'd ever leave a Beast, LW or LWCG treestand out even if I hunted it in the am and were coming back to it for a PM hunt if on public land
But again stands like the LWCG and Beast don't appeal to private land hunters and IMO were designed for are specifically marketed to people who hunt predominantly public and run n gun and never leave their stands or climbing methods in the tree once their done hunting for that day or sit

Lastly to make a stand that large and that light it has to be of minimal dimensions and for us hunters that start at 250lbs in our B-day suits before we put on so much as a sock and the closer your fully dressed and equipped weight gets to 300lbs the more one had better as closely as you can check to insure such a minimalist stand design will hold up as well and as for long as other heavier less expensive designs will.
If your a big man and big hunter like me and my weight fluctuates between 230 and 260lbs let alone if you weigh more I SAH would be in no screaming azz hurry to be a bata tester for this stand.
Again all are just MY opinions
FYI Beast stands are made in America.
Things have gotten expensive for a lot of fairly complicated reasons. One simple reason is the push to have everything be American made and bought from small companies direct.
A less simple reason is that cost of aluminum SKYROCKETED over the summer (traders exploiting a price arbitrage between the LME and China’s SHFE price, demand being higher than ever, COVID related supply chain backups, record setting appliance sales, etc.)
And of course metal tariffs imposed by Donald. That all equals higher prices.

I agree with this 100%. Something becomes popular and everyone and their mom starts making it. Prices skyrocket simply due to popularity. Not because of supply and demand, because of materials, not because of where its made. Its simply people taking advantage of something that people are interested in. And while it may be profitable in the short term, they chase many people away with the price gouging. Those people turn to DIY or other means.

Things have gotten expensive for a lot of fairly complicated reasons. One simple reason is the push to have everything be American made and bought from small companies direct.
A less simple reason is that cost of aluminum SKYROCKETED over the summer (traders exploiting a price arbitrage between the LME and China’s SHFE price, demand being higher than ever, COVID related supply chain backups, record setting appliance sales, etc.)
And of course metal tariffs imposed by Donald. That all equals higher prices.

A 1in x 8ft piece of square aluminum is 20$ at lowes.. It has nothing to do with anything more than price gouging on a product people want.

My wife is a seamstress. I had her look over some of these 200-300 saddles. She says it probably 15-20$ in material if you bought the material retail and not wholesale. And even then, you can likely make two with the materials as they are sold by the yard.

Theres a reason these companies can put items on sale for 20% off and still turn large profits.

I wonder if saddles will be getting more and more expensive, like these hang on stands? I just saw the new Beast stand for $625!!
Yup. Get a big following and charge big money. Its just the thing to do. Sadly people are biting the hook and also even more depressing is i have fallen for this bs for the last few years with all the big youtube killers.
my 2 channel is real life. Success and failures
Good quality gear and equipment.
People need to realize what works for one may not work for another.
Also if someone is doing somthing on social media most of time someone in past has done it lol

I agree with this 100%. Something becomes popular and everyone and their mom starts making it. Prices skyrocket simply due to popularity. Not because of supply and demand, because of materials, not because of where its made. Its simply people taking advantage of something that people are interested in. And while it may be profitable in the short term, they chase many people away with the price gouging. Those people turn to DIY or other means.

A 1in x 8ft piece of square aluminum is 20$ at lowes.. It has nothing to do with anything more than price gouging on a product people want.

My wife is a seamstress. I had her look over some of these 200-300 saddles. She says it probably 15-20$ in material if you bought the material retail and not wholesale. And even then, you can likely make two with the materials as they are sold by the yard.

Theres a reason these companies can put items on sale for 20% off and still turn large profits.
You’re exactly right in that .125 wall thickness bent tubing is cheap. You won’t find me or anyone i know standing up on anything made of that type of material. Thankfully Not all metals are created equal.
Your seamstress wife is also exactly right in the materials cost being quite low. Everything you wear is quite cheap if you were to break it down to raw materials. Armani shirts, air jordans, crispi boots, etc. all less than $20 in materials. Electronic components cost nickels and dimes yet DACs run up to $4000!I can get free oak trees in my back yard yet some people pay thousands for dining sets. Crazy times we live in!

You’re exactly right in that .125 wall thickness bent tubing is cheap. You won’t find me or anyone i know standing up on anything made of that type of material. Thankfully Not all metals are created equal.
Your seamstress wife is also exactly right in the materials cost being quite low. Everything you wear is quite cheap if you were to break it down to raw materials. Armani shirts, air jordans, crispi boots, etc. all less than $20 in materials. Electronic components cost nickels and dimes yet DACs run up to $4000!I can get free oak trees in my back yard yet some people pay thousands for dining sets. Crazy times we live in!

You’re exactly right on this. It’s amazing to me that people don’t understand the simple cost of time. If a saddle can be made for $30 in materials yet sells for $230 it’s not hard to understand where the rest of it goes. People are in business to make money—they need a margin. There’s employees, bills, and all the time that goes into R&D. I think $20-$30 was dubious as well since the climbing buckles alone cost that much. Even if it was, it’s still not far off base to me. I also agree that pricing an aluminum tube at Lowe’s versus a solid sheet think enough to machine are two different animals. What do people think bow risers are made from and do they not wonder why they aren’t cheap?

Eh. Aren't most climbing sticks 1/8in (.125in) wall square aluminum tubing?

Comparing air jordans to a tree saddle isn't exactly apples to apples. I haven't seen many DIY jordans out there, but I could be wrong..

Eh. Aren't most climbing sticks 1/8in (.125in) wall square aluminum tubing?

Comparing air jordans to a tree saddle isn't exactly apples to apples. I haven't seen many DIY jordans out there, but I could be wrong..

I can’t speak to Air Jordan’s but the issue with the aluminum needs clarification. It’s not just the thickness, it’s also the quality. But if your point is that among cheapest parts of most sticks is the tube then you are correct. If your point is that a good stick (say Beast, EWO, Shikar, etc) should only cost a little more than $20 I’m not sure I can get on board.

From the short video, it seems that they have Cobra waist and leg buckles, it is wide, it uses wide webbing, it has an oplux bridge with TRC to make it adjustable. The TRC is knotted. A wish list item would be sewn TRC prusiks or the use of a cord that can be spliced (so you don't have to have room for the knots that stick up and can get in the way upon rotation).

That sounds right up my alley, and shows they've been paying attention to this forum because all those things are mentioned/done here. I'll keep my eyes open for when this comes to market. If it is made by a climbing equipment manufacturer, then all the better (that might be why we see rated buckles all around and no use of amsteel).

Last edited:
Just stumbled across this at the Wild Edge WS. Don't know if it has become common knowledge so sorry if this is posted in futility.
For those interested consideration:
Oh man, another saddle from Wild Edge? Sign me up.......

Oh wait, I'm still waiting for the Yarak to drop.

Back