• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Saddle Hunter from Iowa

Eric2021

Hi,
I’ve hunted a couple of times with my tethrd Phantom and really enjoyed it! Still need to get some sticks that don’t weigh 5lbs each. I do have one concern about the prussic on my bridge. There is a splice (see photos) which is getting a significantly wider opening just from the 2 hunts. I saw it upon initial purchase and sent photos to tethrd. They confirmed multiple times it was fine. They may be right, but I thought I’d ask this group since the splice continues to become more exposed?? Should I be concerned?

Attachments

• 1B75A7B8-64E2-42A5-B0CD-94AE2C786270.jpeg
    1B75A7B8-64E2-42A5-B0CD-94AE2C786270.jpeg
    300.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 8CB1A249-0505-41C6-8B2D-92A15871F42C.jpeg
    8CB1A249-0505-41C6-8B2D-92A15871F42C.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 32
Welcome from Maryland!! You’re gonna get a lot of different answers. I personally don’t love amsteel as part of my bridge. Part of the issue is being able to trust your gear. You will get a bunch of responses saying it’s fine. It just comes down to what you’re comfortable with.

Welcome from a fellow Iowan (Polk Co.). I agree with @Bigterp on the bridge. I personally don't use amsteel on my saddle. Examine it and test it low and if you are comfortable with it and their response, carry on. If still uneasy, swap it. Confidence in your equipment is invaluable.

Greetings from Florida… I love amsteel for my bridge however that spot you’re showing looks like it might be where the Brummell is locking back into itself. You could try feeding some slack into the prusik to change the angle so that the Brummell isn’t on such a tight angle. As long as the inner (core) of the rope isn’t coming out then it really should be fine.
This is one of the reasons I like the Blake’s single leg over a double leg prusik or distel hitch. It’s usually just a cosmetic thing but sometimes it can be scary because you don’t want the tail pulling out.

Back