• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Saddle hunter looking to better conceal myself

Schemeecho

Still new to saddle hunting in general and looking for some advice from seasoned hunters on what type of tree is best to help break up my outline so I am not sky lined. There areas I hunt are filled with Pine and a mix of other trees. The last thing I want is to be suck having to choose a tall pine and stick out like a sore thumb. So come on Y'all help a fellow hunter out. O if it helps I am in South Carolina

DOiAi2WUEAE3A1Y.0.jpg

I have been using this for the last few seasons. Definitely has it's drawbacks, but deer simply do not see you.

Also, I'm a big fan of white oaks. They tend to hold onto their leaves longer. I like having some leaves below me, next to me, behind me, and above me if at all possible. Usually doesn't happen, but the more the merrier as long as I still have shooting windows.

Don't be afraid to set up in a tree with tons of limbs with your back to the tree and the expected travel route directly in front of you if that's the spot you need to be in. This is where a platform has an advantage in my opinion, but isn't very conducive to a longer sit (stand).

I have been using this for the last few seasons. Definitely has it's drawbacks, but deer simply do not see you.
Side effects may include but are not limited to the ability to see the other side, direct contact with the All-Seeing Evil Eye, homicidal tendencies, pathological lying, obsessive-compulsive disorder, schizoid personality disorder, hair loss, weight loss, tooth decay, increased fish consumption, and the inability to understand the appeal of potatoes, whether boiled, mashed, or stuck in a stew.

Still new to saddle hunting in general and looking for some advice from seasoned hunters on what type of tree is best to help break up my outline so I am not sky lined. There areas I hunt are filled with Pine and a mix of other trees. The last thing I want is to be suck having to choose a tall pine and stick out like a sore thumb. So come on Y'all help a fellow hunter out. O if it helps I am in South Carolina
You didn't specify bow or gun, or targeting any deer or mature bucks, so... With a gun, it really doesn't matter much, just get as high as you are comfortable with and plink away before they get close enough to see you. With a bow, try to find a pine with a gum tree close beside it for back cover, but not in front to block your shots (always choose back cover over front, and don't worry about height so much) . Having hunted in SC for 20+ yrs before I refused to pay the license hikes, if you can't get in almost any tree in any spot and kill does, you are doing something seriously wrong. As to big bucks, SC was never known for true giants as compared to other states, just your typical 16-18" wide 8 or 10 pt, and those were not as common, especially on public.

You didn't specify bow or gun, or targeting any deer or mature bucks, so... With a gun, it really doesn't matter much, just get as high as you are comfortable with and plink away before they get close enough to see you. With a bow, try to find a pine with a gum tree close beside it for back cover, but not in front to block your shots (always choose back cover over front, and don't worry about height so much) . Having hunted in SC for 20+ yrs before I refused to pay the license hikes, if you can't get in almost any tree in any spot and kill does, you are doing something seriously wrong. As to big bucks, SC was never known for true giants as compared to other states, just your typical 16-18" wide 8 or 10 pt, and those were not as common, especially on public.
I gun hunt right now. Like I said new to hunting, and I seem to be learning more every season. I always seem to jump deer when going in in the morning but havent hunted many mid day to evening hunts. I know im doing something wrong most of the time. Thats why I'm here trying to get advice since I dont know too many others that hunt. I have had no one to teach the fundamentals of hunting so I still figuring things out but honestly to have you put it in a way that makes it seem like I'm an idiot is very insulting and frankly makes you look like an ass. You wouldn't take a child who dosent have the experience to know whats right and say " you're seriously doing something wrong" would you? Now constructive criticism that's different. I do understand what you are trying to say as far as cover at your back to break up your outline. It's just the way you put the whole Doe comment. Like does are the stupid gender of the deer population and not being able to drop one. I dont mean to offend you in anyway and neither should you. If i post something that makes you wonder what my hunting abilities are or how much time I have spent hunting leaves you with more questions the please feel free to ask. I dont mind explaining myself since everything about my abilities are not always clear. In a way I have the hunting mind set of someone with less experience then others, much like a child I am new to this. I have friends that say if I cant kill a deer then there is something wrong with me and these ass hats have never hunted a day in their life. While I think your comment post was meant to be helpful and I do appreciate the insight you still came off a little harsh.

Wasn't meant to be harsh, but you said in your original post that you were new to saddle hunting, not hunting overall and then focused more on the most minor comment in my post. I learned most of my deer hunting skills in SC because there were and still are lots more deer down there, which is a great thing for learning. I killed more deer there in spite of my lack of skills than because of them at first, hence my comment about you must be doing something really wrong. You just have to get out and get the experience, and in my opinion, most mentors will simply pass on the wrong skills that they were taught. To truly get ahead quickly, read Dr. Sheppard's book, or look on here for @Nutterbuster cliff notes (lots of posts) , and follow those as they 100% translate to SC and will be the most sound tips you can get. You said you are bumping deer, which is a great start, so you should hunt more evenings too where you bump them, but outside of some rutting activities (which the timing varies widely across the state), midday is generally best reserved for the Midwest states. There are several guys on the site in SC and someone may be willing to show you some things in person too if you reach out to them.

I always seem to jump deer when going in in the morning
Set up on them. If you're not killing deer, I can almost guarantee that just climbing a tree right where you bump a deer will lead to better success rates than trying to overanalyze the process. Deer hunting is like bass fishing. You can make it as complicated as you want. But if you catch a fish in one spot, bet ya a dollar your next cast is goin' right back in that general area. It's a reflex that fisherman have in spades and that deer hunters severely lack. Where there's one bass (or deer) there are almost always others. They liked being in that spot before you were there, and they'll like it after you leave. Might as well hang around.

Wasn't meant to be harsh, but you said in your original post that you were new to saddle hunting, not hunting overall and then focused more on the most minor comment in my post. I learned most of my deer hunting skills in SC because there were and still are lots more deer down there, which is a great thing for learning. I killed more deer there in spite of my lack of skills than because of them at first, hence my comment about you must be doing something really wrong. You just have to get out and get the experience, and in my opinion, most mentors will simply pass on the wrong skills that they were taught. To truly get ahead quickly, read Dr. Sheppard's book, or look on here for @Nutterbuster cliff notes (lots of posts) , and follow those as they 100% translate to SC and will be the most sound tips you can get. You said you are bumping deer, which is a great start, so you should hunt more evenings too where you bump them, but outside of some rutting activities (which the timing varies widely across the state), midday is generally best reserved for the Midwest states. There are several guys on the site in SC and someone may be willing to show you some things in person too if you reach out to them.
Thank you for providing a better explanation of your comment post.. As far as jumping deer thats where I feel my biggest mistake. I'd jump them and basically sit right where I was. do this foe a few hours and if nothing showed up i would just leave thinking I blew my hunt. It wasnt until speaking with someone on here that i thought about how the dee would move back in. He pointed out that most likely the didnt go to far and would probably circle around to wind check and follow any scent i left behind right back to me and if so then it was over if I didnt notice them first. Which made perfect sense. thats what led me to seriously start thinking about getting into a saddle. That and hang on stands are just to cumbersome for me. Being in a saddle just felt more natural once I tried it with a fleece diy saddle. not to mention easier to move in and set up

First I would look at the type of area you are in. Think about this. What type of trees you are around. What is the color and shade of the area you are looking at. Example. If you have dark bark trees than light brown and gray colored trees. Another is how much leaves and limbs are around you on a tree you are thinking of climbing. These are some things to look at. Hope this helps

We have similar trees in North Fl. I prefer oaks and hickory trees. Nothing is better than a tall white oak that branches out around 18-25’. Some people like them very small, I personally won’t hunt one unless it is at least the size of a volley ball, that way I know it is gonna hide my outline. If you hunt pines, I say go higher. Like 25-30’ and keep the tree between you and the deer to the best of your ability. For this, a ring of steps really helps

Set up on them. If you're not killing deer, I can almost guarantee that just climbing a tree right where you bump a deer will lead to better success rates than trying to overanalyze the process. Deer hunting is like bass fishing. You can make it as complicated as you want. But if you catch a fish in one spot, bet ya a dollar your next cast is goin' right back in that general area. It's a reflex that fisherman have in spades and that deer hunters severely lack. Where there's one bass (or deer) there are almost always others. They liked being in that spot before you were there, and they'll like it after you leave. Might as well hang around.
Good post...I see a lot of fellas on here being too mobile with lackluster results most would be better off hunting areas they are familiar and keep a written log of all conditions until they got it figured out...as far as staying more concealed in bare trees I just ROS and stay close to the tree as possible and stay still as possible

Side effects may include but are not limited to the ability to see the other side, direct contact with the All-Seeing Evil Eye, homicidal tendencies, pathological lying, obsessive-compulsive disorder, schizoid personality disorder, hair loss, weight loss, tooth decay, increased fish consumption, and the inability to understand the appeal of potatoes, whether boiled, mashed, or stuck in a stew.
You forgot self loathing and general hate of everything but fresh, raw fish.

Back to topic, if you can find split trees or clumps of trees that you can trim as needed to provide shooting lanes help give you a bit of extra cover if the deer come from behind or from the side.

Having a tree the right diameter to keep the trunk in-between u and ur animal doesn't work every time but if the tree is right u don't need anything to break up ur outline IMO. I stay out of pines because of sap if I can help it but I've had lots of encounters while I was in palm trees. I do usually try to choose something with some limbs or other smaller trees around the 1 I want to climb and prefer that, but sometime that isn't an option so I'll look for a tree in the 16-24 diameter....that size will keep majority of my body hidden behind the trunk if I need to do that

Having a tree the right diameter to keep the trunk in-between u and ur animal doesn't work every time but if the tree is right u don't need anything to break up ur outline IMO. I stay out of pines because of sap if I can help it but I've had lots of encounters while I was in palm trees. I do usually try to choose something with some limbs or other smaller trees around the 1 I want to climb and prefer that, but sometime that isn't an option so I'll look for a tree in the 16-24 diameter....that size will keep majority of my body hidden behind the trunk if I need to do that
I actually like palm trees (except for the little palm bristles that get all over your straps and tether.) I mean 20’ straight up perfect diameter and not a single branch or vine in the way???? What’s not to love

Back