• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Saddle Hunter

shmelton

SH Member
So today was my 3rd hunt out of a Saddle, and I’m starting to love it. I am using an XOP Saddle with 3 30” helium sticks. Here is a list of things I’ve done to make this system better…I’m sure I’m going to make some more changes, but haven’t done so yet.

1. I cut the pointless long leg straps off of the XOP Saddle. I kept the shoulder harness, helps when wearing in, plus if I decide against Saddle hunting I can use it as a harness.

2. I built a 1/4” Amsteel Adjustable Whoopi Bridge. Hunted with it for the 1st time today. God it made life better.

3. Added a Ropeman 1 to the stock tether. It is Worth 10 times the money I spent.

4. Built a moveable 1 step aider out of the long end of a 6’ cambuckle strap. One end has a loop on end has a hook. I ran the loop through the circle of the hook, and Over the hook. If I hang it from the versa button it hangs 17” below the bottom step. I added a piece of water hose to open her up.
346a08f52f54657f4c54e21ad4203be1.jpg

5. I built 3 2 step aiders out of 1/4” Amsteel today, but I haven’t installed them yet.

There are several mistakes I have found myself making. Like today, I put my lineman’s rope around my bow rope, and didn’t realize it u til I was 1/2 way down.

My lineman’s tends to drop when I pull up to another stick. Any ideas on how to stop this?

I put my platform 90 degrees from my top step. This put my strong side in the widest area for shot taking. I find myself putting 1 foot on the top step and one on the platform to hide behind the tree. Would it be better to swap the top step and platform position to stand behind the tree most of the time then move out to the step to take the shot?

What other little things did y’all pick up when you 1st started to make life easier? I’m sure I will have more Ahh hah moments that make me say dummy you should have known that, but Lear I g by error is a pain in the arse when a biggun is in front of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m I forgot to mention, I did own a Trophyline saddle and Wild Edge steps a couple of yrs ago, but hated it. I especially hated the WES. I’m sure it was a user error but I couldn’t get them to work so I sold the set up with intentions of never trying again. I’m glad I did.

So today was my 3rd hunt out of a Saddle, and I’m starting to love it. I am using an XOP Saddle with 3 30” helium sticks. Here is a list of things I’ve done to make this system better…I’m sure I’m going to make some more changes, but haven’t done so yet.

1. I cut the pointless long leg straps off of the XOP Saddle. I kept the shoulder harness, helps when wearing in, plus if I decide against Saddle hunting I can use it as a harness.

2. I built a 1/4” Amsteel Adjustable Whoopi Bridge. Hunted with it for the 1st time today. God it made life better.

3. Added a Ropeman 1 to the stock tether. It is Worth 10 times the money I spent.

4. Built a moveable 1 step aider out of the long end of a 6’ cambuckle strap. One end has a loop on end has a hook. I ran the loop through the circle of the hook, and Over the hook. If I hang it from the versa button it hangs 17” below the bottom step. I added a piece of water hose to open her up.
346a08f52f54657f4c54e21ad4203be1.jpg

5. I built 3 2 step aiders out of 1/4” Amsteel today, but I haven’t installed them yet.

There are several mistakes I have found myself making. Like today, I put my lineman’s rope around my bow rope, and didn’t realize it u til I was 1/2 way down.

My lineman’s tends to drop when I pull up to another stick. Any ideas on how to stop this?

I put my platform 90 degrees from my top step. This put my strong side in the widest area for shot taking. I find myself putting 1 foot on the top step and one on the platform to hide behind the tree. Would it be better to swap the top step and platform position to stand behind the tree most of the time then move out to the step to take the shot?

What other little things did y’all pick up when you 1st started to make life easier? I’m sure I will have more Ahh hah moments that make me say dummy you should have known that, but Lear I g by error is a pain in the arse when a biggun is in front of you.

Only way I know to figure out what works for me and what I like is to eliminate the things I dont like and dont work for me.

How much did it cost you to get set up? I am thinking of doing a more budget setup like this for next year. It will only be my second year hunting and first year getting up in a tree. A bit nervous about jumping straight into the saddle game as well.

Back