• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to Crossbow Hunting

Grayson Everett

Hey everyone,

I recently started looking into crossbow hunting and hunting in general. I live in a great area for hunting and I never really wanted to hunt until now. My problem is my parents don't believe in hunting. They didn't grow up in an area where hunting is big. I'm wanting to get my license, but my parents aren't too keen about me getting it. Is there any way I can prove to them that hunting is an okay thing to do? I'm just not sure because I've never been hunting before, so any help is appreciated.

All organic. All natural. No preservatives.
Venison is lean healthy meat.
They are not kept in pens and large farms purely for profit.

If you eat meat someone has to kill it. It might as well be you. It's more honest than thinking that meat comes wrapped in plastic.

"Is there any way I can prove to them that hunting is an ok thing to do?" In some cases yes and in some cases no, depends on them. Closed minded people seldom change their opinions. Some folks are just anti-hunting/anti-hunter and no amount of facts or education is going to change that. Some folks are non-hunters and if exposed to the reality of why hunting is important and the multitude of benefits that come from it, may never hunt but come to support others doing it. At 24, you are plenty old enough to tell them you want to be responsible for the procurement of your own protein and hunting and fishing are the means to do that. If they are not supportive of that, the odds that bombarding them with all the other reasons hunting and fishing are beneficial will be helpful is next to zero.

Are they vegans that think eating meat is unethical?

If not, you're just trying to get your own meat. Every lb of venison you eat is certainly ethically superior to a 1lb of beef. The deer you killed gets to live a wild life and do deer things (fight, have sex, ,do whatever deer like to do). Farm raised animals live in captivity. Furthermore, you know your meat is clean and free of any additives. Although deer obviously do suffer some pain in the final moments, no wild animal dies a painless death. Deer die of horrible diseases, get hit by cars, get eaten alive, starve or freeze to death. A well placed arrow or bullet is probably the most pain free way for any wild animal to die. Seems like only upside ethically (to me at least).

Back