• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to me bear grizzly

What's to be nervous about, it's a natural progression. I archery hunt because it's more difficult. And traditional to make it more difficult than modern gear.
Kind of just a saying of what i think will end up happening. But i am wondering if I'll even be able to transition back and forth.

I sold all my modern gear and I'm never looking back. Have harvested 2 deer so far and plan on trying to get one more before season is out. No need to yolk tune, or bow press, or pay $80-140 for new strings and cable, etc.

This is the biggest reason I switched, as long as the string or bow doesn’t break, there’s nothing to go wrong and I can do all the work myself, I even make my own Flemish strings which take 30 minutes, so I’m never out of the game for very long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im getting into more traditional hunting all around. Flintlock and recurve. Not so much for simplicity. But more rewarding and how my great grandfather hunted. I feel like Its a dying art almost. Im actually picking up a little bear for my son that he can learn on when he gets old enough.

Question why does traditional make it harder. Other than maybe limiting shot distance. I set up to keep shots under 30 yds and do as well with my recurves as I do with a compound. My limiting factor is my shoulders are shot so practicing a lot with my trad bows is tough. Shawn

Question why does traditional make it harder. Other than maybe limiting shot distance. I set up to keep shots under 30 yds and do as well with my recurves as I do with a compound. My limiting factor is my shoulders are shot so practicing a lot with my trad bows is tough. Shawn

Not sure if you're an amazing recurve shot, or a bad compound shot. Lol. But either way you are the exception. I would say the majority of people can't do as well at 30 yards with a recurve as they can a compound. I personally keep all of my recurve shots under 20.

Maybe you should consider going down in draw weight. At one time I shot 70-75 pound bows. Now my hunting bow is 42 pounds.

I dont think it does much outside of limiting shot distance some. Seems like more times than not when that question is asked the responses almost invariably go straight to target accuracy. Target accuracy, to some extent, has no bearing on success hunting. What I mean is that I have seen plenty of guys that could out shoot me all day on paper but cant keep their crap together with an animal at 20 yards. I have also seen plenty of guys that are just barely average shooters on paper that rarely fail to close the deal on critters. Biggest difference I see is getting drawn. With the compound there are plenty of times I have drawn on a deer in advance of a clear shot and let them walk in to the opening. I cant do that with the stickbow. Have to be more cautious with the draw.

Isn't that a pretty big limiting factor though? I probably see five times more deer inside 40 yards than I do inside 15 yards, (which is where I prefer them with Trad) every year.

Also, I have to disagree with your portrayal of accuracy and Target panic a little. Target panic, buck fever, whatever you want to call it can occur regardless of your weapon of choice. However, controlling for that, the amount of time I need to practice with a trad bow to be proficient at 20 yards is tenfold a compound and twentyfold a crossbow.

Isn't that a pretty big limiting factor though? I probably see five times more deer inside 40 yards than I do inside 15 yards, (which is where I prefer them with Trad) every year.

Also, I have to disagree with your portrayal of accuracy and Target panic a little. Target panic, buck fever, whatever you want to call it can occur regardless of your weapon of choice. However, controlling for that, the amount of time I need to practice with a trad bow to be proficient at 20 yards is tenfold a compound and twentyfold a crossbow.
I see your point about how many deer you see from the tree versus "in range". Obviously that is strongly influenced by the type of terrain and habitat one hunts. A big majority of the ground I hunt is not conducive to seeing deer much out of bow range but some does have pretty good visibility. I am pretty confident with my stickbow to 25 yards on whitetails and even though my compound is setup to shoot to 70 and I am proficient with it at that distance, I can count the number of deer I have killed beyond 25 without pulling my shoes off.

Maybe my point about accuracy came across differently than I intended. There is definitely a level of acceptable accuracy required to ethically carry any weapon into the field and each hunter has to define that for themselves. I agree a stickbow requires more consistent practice to maintain that level of accuracy but I dont view shooting my bow as a limiting factor cause I love shooting a stickbow. I am sure some folks would view that as limiting though because they havent figured out yet how to get their priorities right. (jk) My point was that whether we are talking about sticks or wheel, each bowhunter has a self determined effective shooting range on game. Within that context, a stickbow is not limiting as a broad stroke statement any more than putting 5 arrows in a 3" circle at 20 yards being the defining aspect of killing critters.

I dont think it does much outside of limiting shot distance some. Seems like more times than not when that question is asked the responses almost invariably go straight to target accuracy. Target accuracy, to some extent, has no bearing on success hunting. What I mean is that I have seen plenty of guys that could out shoot me all day on paper but cant keep their crap together with an animal at 20 yards. I have also seen plenty of guys that are just barely average shooters on paper that rarely fail to close the deal on critters. Biggest difference I see is getting drawn. With the compound there are plenty of times I have drawn on a deer in advance of a clear shot and let them walk in to the opening. I cant do that with the stickbow. Have to be more cautious with the draw.
This is me. I can kill paper and foam all day long. I will over think the real thing every time. But that's part of the excitement. If it was boring and no rush I wouldn't do it. My best killing years are based on how much I shoot. Particular 3D helps a lot.

Back