• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New toy when I get home.

bongo

SH Member
Well I know this is off topic for this time of year but. Sold my old Aquasport last time home and been wanten a shallow water flyfishing rig so like a dummy I was looked through classified a couple days ago and my buddy went and picked it up for me today. 15’ Dragonfly Marsh Hen. Carbon Fiber 1st one out of the mold. Hull #1. This hull has been made for years out of fiberglass but this is the first Carbon. Hope I like it. It weighs 185lbs.
ab5cadb64a70b85cb09eab11ab3d8d95.png
3265f6a517864a050a4072897096b5a0.png
cb034519b0201430a4151f9fe0a31e09.png
fa97cb6f32495b56d1e24a48c9423bd1.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Wow, that thing will float in a heavy dew! Got a motor for it?
I used to fish your area back in the 70s, hope the red tide has missed you. It's been all around us, don't know what kind of damage it's done offshore but I'm praying for the best.

Red tide is still there and the worst fish kill in a long time. I grew up there and red tide is just part of it.
I’ve got a Yamaha 15 four stroke should work good on it that’s max hp for it.
If you fished here in the 70s you have seen the best it was.
It’s not that good anymore to much pressure to many people. I fish a lot at night not many people know how to flats fish in the dark but I’m an old gill netter from that area and spent most of my time on the bay at night.
Fish feed at night in the summer when the waters hot that’s when I’ll use it most.
It’s hunting season so I won’t mess with it much till spring. It was a deal I couldn’t pass up. Kinda excited to rig it out though.
I think it will be a good rig for Everglades and Flamingo.

615e716e978c27292112dacdd619dee3.png
93d95e902855b9c6ecd2d71d0a790cff.png

Last edited:
That thing looks like a backwater dream! Are you going to run a long tiller handle?
We fished mostly at night down there too. Snook was the main target and we fished Redfish and Captiva passes mostly, throwing mirrolures from the beach. Feeling those smashing strikes and then hearing them come up and shake their heads out in the dark was super exciting. If you're an old gill netter, you've seen some good times too. We'd always cast net mullet when we were down there and they were mighty fine even though I think ours here are the best in the world. I've also done some commercial fishing, mostly mullet, but also ran a bait boat, selling pinfish and pogies.

That thing looks like a backwater dream! Are you going to run a long tiller handle?
We fished mostly at night down there too. Snook was the main target and we fished Redfish and Captiva passes mostly, throwing mirrolures from the beach. Feeling those smashing strikes and then hearing them come up and shake their heads out in the dark was super exciting. If you're an old gill netter, you've seen some good times too. We'd always cast net mullet when we were down there and they were mighty fine even though I think ours here are the best in the world. I've also done some commercial fishing, mostly mullet, but also ran a bait boat, selling pinfish and pogies.

Wow you were there. I married my wife of 33 years on Pine Island in 86. Her grandfather and father owned the hardware store at Pine Island center from 1960 till about 1990.
I was a Gulf shrimper at the time we were married but wanted to raise a family and be home to do it so started gillnetting in 84. I had gone to school with most of the guys fishing the island at that time.
Started crewing with one of my highs cool friends that I had played football with and learned how to mullet fish from him. Then started pompano and mackerel fishing offshore and trout fishing with trammel nets on the flats at night in the summer. I loved that fishing as you would paddle the flats all night looking and listening for the fish feeding on the flats around Pine Island. I learned from the best and got pretty good at it myself. Spent many a night from Boca Grande to Sanibel, Bull Bay , Turtle Bay,Two Pines South through to Sanibel. Gill nets ended in 95 and I do miss it. But it was a very hard way to make a living.
I saw gill nets ending and started guiding people and most of my clients came from Useppa and Boca Grande. I knew it was ending so I bought a fly rod and would take it with me at night trout fishing so I could take flyfishing clients as charters. I fell in love with flyfishing and about starved out because I was spending more time with the fly rod than gillnet.
Well I got carried away but that’s why I bought this little rig. Even though I’ve caught enough fish I still love to throw a fly rod.

Last edited:
Well I got carried away but that’s why I bought this little rig. Even though I’ve caught enough fish I still love to throw a fly rod.
Love those stories! I've deck-handed on a shrimp boat a time or two and did some guiding too, fishing and then gator hunting. Just retired from the gator guiding business a couple of years ago. Had a lot of fun gator hunting and met some great folks from all over the world, but it's a young man's game. I've never dove into saltwater flyrodding, just played around, but I've got a good friend who was one the top flyrod tarpon guides in the world and won the Islamorada gold cup tarpon tournament five times.
That storm is headed right down our throats, maybe it will be a blessing in disguise and somehow break up the red tide.

Love those stories! I've deck-handed on a shrimp boat a time or two and did some guiding too, fishing and then gator hunting. Just retired from the gator guiding business a couple of years ago. Had a lot of fun gator hunting and met some great folks from all over the world, but it's a young man's game. I've never dove into saltwater flyrodding, just played around, but I've got a good friend who was one the top flyrod tarpon guides in the world and won the Islamorada gold cup tarpon tournament five times.
That storm is headed right down our throats, maybe it will be a blessing in disguise and somehow break up the red tide.

If you want to send some gator clients somewhere I have a friend just getting his going. He has a place to hunt S of Immokalee off 29 S of the old prison. N side of Bear Island. He’s looking for clients. The place has a lot of gators. He might be willing to pay a finders fee. If your interested PM me and I’ll give you his number.
Didn’t know there was a storm till you mentioned it but maybe that will shake up the tide a little.

Last edited:
Sweet rig man. I run around the middle keys on occasion, and that little boat would be the ticket. I can just throw it over my shoulder to get across flat on low tide. Keep the stories going!

Back