• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Weekend hunting vehicle - all Trucks way too Much $$$$

nicholas buck

Just trying to figure out are some alternatives to a pickup truck for a weekend hunting vehicle. I just cannot find a used truck for less than $8000 that is not under ten years old and over 100,000 miles. What's other people like using that do not have the money to buy a $ 20,000 truck.

You could use a Jeep or any SUV really. If I were going to have a dedicated hunting vehicle and it had to be an SUV I would just gut the trunk area and line x it

For years I hunted out of a Nissan Sentra, even seatbelted a nice Texas hill country 8 point in the passenger seat. (bad move in the wifes eyes). Then I used a 1997 Dodge Grand caravan for a few seasons. Upgraded to a 2001 S-10. But now I'm all RAM. But nowhere near new!!!!

Dude, get a Honda Accord or Civic, or some other little gas sipper.

I loved hunting out of mine last year, and will only be using the Blazer and Suburban if I'm hunting my local spots. I drove to Baton Rouge and back last week (7 hours) on a $30 tank of gas in my accord.

I slept 2 nights in it so far while scouting this year. Plenty of room in the trunk. Throw a big cooler in there, quarter your deer, throw it in. That's how I got my 9 point home last year.

@John Eberhart uses a minivan. Pretty sure I’ve seen some guys on the hunting public hunt out of Honda’s and other small cars. A good friend of mine hunted out of a Subaru awd station wagon and it handled rough terrain and shallow sand/mud surprisingly well. I use the same 2wd pickup I drive the rest of the week. If I was in a car I would use it. I have a saddle, climbing system, and a rod platform that would fit in a good size glove box. You really don’t need a truck.

Back in the day we determined the worth of a vehicle by how many deer would fit into the trunk I had a delta 88 that sported 4 deer trunk
My first car was a Delta 88 until a tree jumped out in front of me.

I've also been known to tow deer home with a street bike down the gravel road (on Halloween - wonder if anyone saw me). So, really anything goes, but these days the 16 yr old 4x4 truck works great. I'm thinking a company truck is in the future for next year maybe.

For those with cars/suvs/vans - what do you do with roadkill? Super easy with my truck to throw them in the back, no worry about blood all over.

(I just admitted on a public internet forum that I pick up roadkill. Is that a bad thing??)

For those with cars/suvs/vans - what do you do with roadkill? Super easy with my truck to throw them in the back, no worry about blood all over.

(I just admitted on a public internet forum that I pick up roadkill. Is that a bad thing??)
You pick up road kill?? Wow Dan. Wow.

I hunted out of a Kia Sedona mini van for the last 5 years. I removed all of the seats in the back. It was awesome but it died on me over the summer. This year I will be hunting out of a chevy impala.

Same thing I do with bulletkill. Hack the quarters off and toss it in the trunk. I picked up 2 deer and a bobcat last year.

Reminds me, I gotta call that taxidermist.

LOL! Only the fresh ones. I leave the bloated ones for guys with red beards.
Ha! Funny you should say that. A friend of mine saw a deer get hit one morning on his way to work last year. He approached me immediately after getting in and wanted to know if I wanted to go pick it up because "you're a hunter" and "it was still fresh".

I may, or may not have taken him up on it... :)

Back