• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New York Intel / Roll call

High8

It seems that there are a lot of guys on here from NY, so I thought I would start this thread. With our bow season starting this Thursday October 1, I thought it would be cool to have a page where we could exchange Intel to see whats happening throughout the state in the deer woods as the season progresses! My first year in a Saddle and couldn't be more excited. For me i mainly hunt a 200 acre parcel that I have been leasing for 10 years now in Monroe county and few smaller parcels. Cant wait to kick this season off, so please introduce yourself, roughly the area you are hunting, and whatever else you would like!

Awesome. I hunt Oswego county and a small bit in Jefferson county. I see a few scrapes opened up already and a lot of activity with bucks separating from other bucks and starting to focus on does. I think its gonna be a early rut this year. I am heading to camp up north later today to hunt northern opener sunday....hopefully punch my doe tag!!

First year saddle hunter here from Otsego county,Cooperstown area. The acorns are dropping like crazy here,red oaks mostly. The apples were good but are also dropping fast.
I can't believe the weather forecast for the opener and first weekend,it looks positively awesome.
A buddy went scouting a week or two ago and found lots of rubs. I have been staying out of the woods.

I’m after this joker

Attachments

• 87D31291-B32E-4EAD-B9F0-9ACA7612209B.jpeg
    87D31291-B32E-4EAD-B9F0-9ACA7612209B.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 60
  • A2386786-7F19-4D40-9354-5AA803851339.jpeg
    A2386786-7F19-4D40-9354-5AA803851339.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 57AE4E91-0082-422B-99D0-9C74B85D3FE0.jpeg
    57AE4E91-0082-422B-99D0-9C74B85D3FE0.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 23397D22-889B-4C65-8CC9-F9C32C7B5CFF.jpeg
    23397D22-889B-4C65-8CC9-F9C32C7B5CFF.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 55
That's a dandy!! Right now I have a few good ones on camera but no giants yet. I have tons of bedding that holds lots of doe's so the bigger deer move in as rut gets closer like clock work. This year I have more food then ever in my plots. This year I planted standing corn, standing beans, and clover and chickory plots. The hard woods also have a decent amount of acorns falling also!

Hi there, great idea!! I'm in Western New York and I primarily hunt Chautauqua and Cattaraugus Counties. I would say I hunt a balance of private and public land. Most of my hunting takes place on a private 134 acre grape farm my buddy owns and operates. He leases his crop fields out to a local farmer who planted corn and winter wheat this year. My friend planted brassica's in between the grape rows. I'm finding a lot of boundary rubs like we do every year. The bears have been devastating the sawtooth oaks we planted 16 years ago. Lot of pics of bears and sign in the woods which I hope doesn't hamper my deer hunting. We continue to get a decent balance of daylight pics of bucks so it doesn't seem like the bears are affecting the deer movement yet. I can't wait for opening day. I also hunt local public land areas (3 different ones) and I have four other private farms I have permission to hunt on.

I’m in Orange County! Excited to take to the tree Thursday. Funny I remember when I was one of the few if not the only NY guy in here! So nice to see the growth!
If anyone wants a Ny saddle and state proud shirt go to doublesteps and order one up! Pick your colors here are some examples. Happy hunting!!
aca0ccd120b90fcdde576a19c7b9c813.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From S.W. New York.... mostly 9J wmu first year saddle hunting and trying to be more mobile! Running Cruzr XC saddle with beast sticks.. got some dandy’s on cameras this year but all I hunt is private! Good luck to the rest of NY this year

I live in Rochester but hunt down in Canisteo. I also am running with the Cruzr XC. I am on 600 acres and yes we have plenty of bears. Everytime I check the cameras I have at least one if not 4-5.Plenty of acorns dropping as well as good production of apples. Plenty of deer. Here a few that have been hanging around. Good luck to everyone this year and great idea of starting a New York page.

Attachments

• IMG_0104 (2).JPG
    IMG_0104 (2).JPG
    261.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 8 Pt.jpeg
    8 Pt.jpeg
    312.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0037 (2).JPG
    IMG_0037 (2).JPG
    335.2 KB · Views: 33
I am sooo hyped but may not get a chance to go out until the weekend. Either way,weather looks great! I just broke an arrow today when i tested my lighted nocks with broadheads. I was pressed for time and shot one BH and one FP at different sides of my 18 in 1 target and thought that would be ok. I didn't consider the arrows inside the target and when i shot my last BH it sliced through another arrow inside the target. This one is not too bright apparently. First test for the single bevel,it worked as advertised.
Good thing i left the sharpening for tomorrow.
I got my workbench in my basement cleaned up today that doubles as my butcher table,and the old granary i have is tidy too for hanging a deer. I also de-iced and cleaned the freezer. I am just about ready.

I’m in Orange County! Excited to take to the tree Thursday. Funny I remember when I was one of the few if not the only NY guy in here! So nice to see the growth!
If anyone wants a Ny saddle and state proud shirt go to doublesteps and order one up! Pick your colors here are some examples. Happy hunting!!

I honed my saddle hunting in NY from ‘07-‘15 before moving on to greener pastures. I bought my first Trophyline right off the shelf in Basspro in Auburn.

Same. Right outside Middletown i have some prop.

Hard to believe that my first sit of the year is in a ground blind and not my saddle but everything told me to sit over my bean plot tonight. Feels good to finally be back in the woods. Have had some nice bucks in here lately so we'll see what happens. So far one big lone doe.

Back