• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Newbie from Florida

Nick Steele

New to hunting and saddle hunting in general!

Did very little hunting with my dad in high school up in PA but he did all the leg work. Hunting my first season here in Florida from the ground then knew a few weeks in that I’m hooked so told the wife I wanted a saddle and low and behold it was here for Xmas along with sticks from my dad!

Was a weird feeling being suspended from the tree the first time and I’m slowly working my way to being comfortable up in the tree. I’m starting with one stick and being 6-7ft up in the tree and will work my way to being up 20+ft by next season I hope.

First sit in the woods and on the way to my spot I lost my hys strap so I didn’t have anything to hang my gun or backpack/water from. Have one more sit before the end of deer season so I’ll see how that one goes.

Welcome from Mi. Lot of Florida guys here. I think there are putting together a meet up for the spring. Or the saddlepalloza in GA. Check it out under meet ups.

Welcome from Maine! Slow and sure wins the race. Sounds like a good strategy. Check all new gear out at ground level and think safety at all times. Welcome to the addiction!

Welcome from NJ. I felt the same way when I started saddle hunting this fall. I practiced a couple times in the yard, then just went for it. Climbed 20 feet up and sat there from dawn till dark. By lunch time I was very comfortable. By the 4th sit I was completely comfortable with it all. Just get out there and hang. I would suggest that you practice a self rescue situation just in case your stick should ever kick out or you drop it or something.

Back