• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Newbie...looking for suggestions & advice

david k.

Hey guys!

Newbie here so be gentle! I have a buddy who turned me on to this site and almost solely hunts from his original Trophyline...I was able to sit in it one time and am interested in testing the waters. I've been watching videos, reading and soaking up all the knowledge I can for several weeks since the season ended here in Tennessee. I'm 56 and have been using a climber for 40+ years, Summit Vipers most recently. I am able to hunt 3-4 days a week throughout our entire season and I occaisionally leave one of the vipers in a spot for a day or two but mostly I carry them in / out every hunt. I'm 5'10 with a 38" waist and weigh about 215 pounds. Based on what I've read I think I'm leaning towards trying a one-stick climbing method, most likely with a full length Hawk Helium and a one or 2 step aider and I also feel like I'd prefer a Predator Platform over any of the steps...I'm not sure why, it just seems like that would be more comfortable for me. I usually stay in my stand for 5-6 hours on morning hunts and then about 3 hours for evening hunts and so I suspect that I'll also be more of a "sitter" than a "leaner" but I won't know until I try.

I know this has been asked a thousand times (I've read a lot of them...) but I'm looking for real world advice from any of the older, not so 'in shape' guys out there, regarding which saddles they have found more comfortable for longer sits as I've mentioned. I have an idea which one I'd be leaning to right now but want to hear other opinions.

Also, I am very open to anyone poking holes in my thought process regarding my trying the one stick climbing method and the use of the predator platform...am I biting off more than I can chew at my advanced age? Haha!

Thanks in advance!!

I am 62, 5' 10" and 200# I started with an original Trophyline also 25 years ago. Sold it and got a Guidos web in 2006 and used that until this fall. I bought a JX3 hybrid and it is the perfect stand for me. I have to be comfortable and I knew I wouldn't find that in any of the other saddles available ( hip pinch isn't going to work for me ) plus I have back problems and need the back the hybrid provides. And it is designed to be similar to a pack frame, and it is much more comfortable to pack everything needed for the hunt.

I never have tried one sticking. So I can't help you there. I use WE steps with the modded web straps and the top step has 4 bullman steps to make my ROS. And I also use the Yates big wall 5 step ladder. So with four steps I am at 24 ft.

All of this packs very nicely with the hybrid and is very easy to pack in. I typically go in 1 to 2 miles when I hunt.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have several saddles, the kestrel and mantis. Both offer great support. I do notice a little more hip pinch with the kestrel but not much. I have on order a JX3 for comfort. I will see how it works for me. Saddle Hunting is so individualistic, that one system may work for you and one may not.

Take your time and learn your system. I have yet to try one sticking. With size 14 feet, I just climb with sticks and WE steps. Practice at ground level and near ground level to get familiarized with the saddle before you start climbing. Always, always stay attached, whether it be with your bridge and or tether. Always make sure you are attached correctly. (I know this from experience). There is a recent post of a fellow who unattached to climb down to get his ramrod. He lost his balance and fell 25’.

Use the KISS method.

Last edited:
Hey guys!

Newbie here so be gentle! I have a buddy who turned me on to this site and almost solely hunts from his original Trophyline...I was able to sit in it one time and am interested in testing the waters. I've been watching videos, reading and soaking up all the knowledge I can for several weeks since the season ended here in Tennessee. I'm 56 and have been using a climber for 40+ years, Summit Vipers most recently. I am able to hunt 3-4 days a week throughout our entire season and I occaisionally leave one of the vipers in a spot for a day or two but mostly I carry them in / out every hunt. I'm 5'10 with a 38" waist and weigh about 215 pounds. Based on what I've read I think I'm leaning towards trying a one-stick climbing method, most likely with a full length Hawk Helium and a one or 2 step aider and I also feel like I'd prefer a Predator Platform over any of the steps...I'm not sure why, it just seems like that would be more comfortable for me. I usually stay in my stand for 5-6 hours on morning hunts and then about 3 hours for evening hunts and so I suspect that I'll also be more of a "sitter" than a "leaner" but I won't know until I try.

I know this has been asked a thousand times (I've read a lot of them...) but I'm looking for real world advice from any of the older, not so 'in shape' guys out there, regarding which saddles they have found more comfortable for longer sits as I've mentioned. I have an idea which one I'd be leaning to right now but want to hear other opinions.

Also, I am very open to anyone poking holes in my thought process regarding my trying the one stick climbing method and the use of the predator platform...am I biting off more than I can chew at my advanced age? Haha!

Thanks in advance!!

I’m almost 50 and not in great shape. My upper body strength to my weight ratio is sub par! Lol

I do 1 stick because of carrying the extra weight but I carry a 30’ “tether” and prefer to SRT if I can. SRT lets me get a foot involved. I tried DRT but didn’t like it due to my fat ass being to hard to pull up with my arms.

Last season was my first so I’m learning a lot but basically I’ve settled on a petzle left hand ascender (or similar as an upgrade I will do soon). I bought a mad rock safeguard and it’s perfect for what I want as both an ascender and a rappel device.

Sometimes I will one stick up and then leave my rope and ROS and stick up the tree at the end of the night and rappel down. In the morning I SRT back up.

Saddle for me is currently a RCH and fleece saddle and that may not change for another year or two. Shipping and exchange male cross border to Canada suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took a good long critical look at my physical condition and decided I could respond to your post. I rock the Mantis L. I use 5 WE steps with a K/S , and the Predator platform. Fit in any saddle is going to be personal, so asking someone else is only going to get you limited useful info. You'll need to get into some saddles, so find some folks around you or attend a get together in your area. I bet if you put something together you'll get some folks to respond, seems like a good way for a new guy to get some saddles in one spot for testing, just sayin. I on the other hand am on a mission to get into some semblance of shape and lose some dang weight. that way I will safely be able to choose any way to climb that I want.

I suggest waiting until Tethrd's Teach 'N Train in middle TN in April, if you can. They'll have the Phantom and Mantis to test out, and other guys might possibly bring competitors' products, too.
As far as biting off more than you can chew, I don't think you are. It doesn't take much effort for experienced hunters to get competent with a saddle. It takes a bit more to gain expertise (I'm definitely not there), but with less than a dozen practice climbs and sits, I think almost any hunter would be ready to hunt out of a saddle proficiently. After that, it's just a matter of dialing in the comfort and maximizing efficiency.

I suggest waiting until Tethrd's Teach 'N Train in middle TN in April, if you can. They'll have the Phantom and Mantis to test out, and other guys might possibly bring competitors' products, too.
As far as biting off more than you can chew, I don't think you are. It doesn't take much effort for experienced hunters to get competent with a saddle. It takes a bit more to gain expertise (I'm definitely not there), but with less than a dozen practice climbs and sits, I think almost any hunter would be ready to hunt out of a saddle proficiently. After that, it's just a matter of dialing in the comfort and maximizing efficiency.
That would be awesome! I'll check on that event and was going to ask if any guys are traditional archers and might be attending the Tennessee Classic in Clarksville, TN in early May?

Welcome, you have plenty of time to tinker before next season. One thing I will say is it definitely is a big upgrade in safety/security over conventional methods once you get comfortable.....

That would be awesome! I'll check on that event and was going to ask if any guys are traditional archers and might be attending the Tennessee Classic in Clarksville, TN in early May?
I'm a compound guy myself, but might attend just because my folks still live in Clarksville, and I might go with my dad. Contact @flinginairos if you want to be included in the Tethrd TNT.

I'm a compound guy myself, but might attend just because my folks still live in Clarksville, and I might go with my dad. Contact @flinginairos if you want to be included in the Tethrd TNT.

I shoot both and this shoot is held at the Twin Oaks Club near Clarksville and is always a fantastic shoot, probably about 400 trad archers will attend. I think its scheduled for May 1-3...it's called the Tennessee Classic so you should be able to find it online.

Question have you ever climbed with sticks? I ask because I hadn't before this my first saddle season. I am 59 6ft and 240, little pauchy. One sticking isn't hard but it takes a little practice,something I didn't do, practicing in the hunt isn't a good idea. Very safe,lots of great videos on here, just put in the practice. One advantage to practice is it will cut down on overheating in those early season hunts. You are not too far from me and it's hot in October. Also when one sticking do not climb higher than bottom step to move tether, it's in the videos and really important. (With aider)I am in Desoto County MS, if I can help let me know.

Hey guys!

Thanks in advance!!
I am 56 also and this is my first year in the saddle. I use a fleece saddle presently and am looking into a H2 or Kestral Flex. Money will dictate that decision. I use 3 Hawk Helium and an aider. I own 12 WE steps but not sure I am patient enough to keep using them. I am selling most all of my stands to get more saddle gear. Have killed one so far from the saddle and it never knew what hit her. only had 3 sits so far and I am sold. There is a lot of info to take in here but if you can get to a saddle group meeting or Tethered Teaching Event (there are several coming up) this will help you to decide what you want to buy. Then by next season you will be ready to take the woods by storm. Just has been my observation that getting advise from others is often times not always suited for your needs but what worked for them. Get feed back and opinions then try to sample a few methods and equipment then decide what works best and you are set. Good Luck.

I am 56 also and this is my first year in the saddle. I use a fleece saddle presently and am looking into a H2 or Kestral Flex. Money will dictate that decision. I use 3 Hawk Helium and an aider. I own 12 WE steps but not sure I am patient enough to keep using them. I am selling most all of my stands to get more saddle gear. Have killed one so far from the saddle and it never knew what hit her. only had 3 sits so far and I am sold. There is a lot of info to take in here but if you can get to a saddle group meeting or Tethered Teaching Event (there are several coming up) this will help you to decide what you want to buy. Then by next season you will be ready to take the woods by storm. Just has been my observation that getting advise from others is often times not always suited for your needs but what worked for them. Get feed back and opinions then try to sample a few methods and equipment then decide what works best and you are set. Good Luck.

Good advice...thank you!

I started saddle hunting practice climbing this past June. I am 62 years old. I bought Hawk Helium sticks and tried them. I have never hunted from trees before last year. My legs are not so steady anymore so the sticks were an adventure. I had to build up my leg strength to use them. I was terrified at 10 feet up at first. Since nothing broke my confidence in the equipment increased and I felt good. I tried SRT / RADS and never looked back. I want a climbing system that if I go limp, I go nowhere, just stay where I am up the tree. A lineman's belt and sticks are not it. SRT /RADS fulfills this requirement. I tried one sticking a few times and it was good. I was able to climb and the tether fulfilled the support requirement. If I was not doing SRT, I would do one sticking but why carry a stick if I don't have to do so?

I have found there are two types of climbing methods, foot climbing methods where your weight is not in the saddle until you get to the top (maybe not even then if you are leaning) and sitting methods, where your weight is sitting in the saddle. A comfortable sitting saddle is necessary for the second class of methods. SRT and one sticking are both in the second class since you are hanging from a tether a large percentage of the time. I use a sit drag with added safety belt and it works fine for sitting. Any saddle that you can sit in you can lean in. Many people complain about their saddles riding up and these would not work so well for the second class of methods although they would be fine for the first class of methods.

I started saddle hunting practice climbing this past June. I am 62 years old. I bought Hawk Helium sticks and tried them. I have never hunted from trees before last year. My legs are not so steady anymore so the sticks were an adventure. I had to build up my leg strength to use them. I was terrified at 10 feet up at first. Since nothing broke my confidence in the equipment increased and I felt good. I tried SRT / RADS and never looked back. I want a climbing system that if I go limp, I go nowhere, just stay where I am up the tree. A lineman's belt and sticks are not it. SRT /RADS fulfills this requirement. I tried one sticking a few times and it was good. I was able to climb and the tether fulfilled the support requirement. If I was not doing SRT, I would do one sticking but why carry a stick if I don't have to do so?

I have found there are two types of climbing methods, foot climbing methods where your weight is not in the saddle until you get to the top (maybe not even then if you are leaning) and sitting methods, where your weight is sitting in the saddle. A comfortable sitting saddle is necessary for the second class of methods. SRT and one sticking are both in the second class since you are hanging from a tether a large percentage of the time. I use a sit drag with added safety belt and it works fine for sitting. Any saddle that you can sit in you can lean in. Many people complain about their saddles riding up and these would not work so well for the second class of methods although they would be fine for the first class of methods.
i had considered looking at SRT as well but I’m not sure it would be any more efficient for me than one stick based on how I hunt. I’ll probably try it too though.
Thanks!

Back