• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Newbie Woman here!

Sambow300

Hello, total newbie woman here, and looking to learn as much as I can! I recently started bowhunting public land for the first time ever this year (didn't renew our previous lease). I don't have the strength or body type to (in my opinion) safely hang a hang on stand by myself, so I've been hunting off the ground. But I've been looking more and more into saddles, and found this website, and saddles don't seem quite so scary. I do need a stick that has shorter distances between steps because I'm only 5'3" short legged lol, so any advice for that would be appreciated!

I also know hip pinch sounds like a common issue for women, so I'm trying to research the best option for a saddle. Looking forward to getting into this style!

Howdy!

Most sticks have a standard 17" spacing that you should be able to try. Beast sticks and a lot of diy stuff is modded for a longer step. You might be interested in finding or making some old lone wolf mini sticks. They are short and light.

Not really sure how to advise on the hip pinch issue. I tried pretty much every saddle available before I made my choice.

Wild edge stepps all the way
Will take a little time to learn but u choose ur spacing so it’s perfect !
Also there was another girl on here that put a double carabiner one her tree tether and it spread the angle of the bridge so she wasn’t getting hip pinch
I’ll try to find the thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome from Wisconsin. A not so intimidating option might be Hawk Helium sticks to start out. Right off the shelf they have a short distance in the steps and you can decide to mod later if you want.

A lot of information here and it can be easily overwhelming but you’ll find everyone is happy to help. There are no stupid questions!

Hello, total newbie woman here, and looking to learn as much as I can! I recently started bowhunting public land for the first time ever this year (didn't renew our previous lease). I don't have the strength or body type to (in my opinion) safely hang a hang on stand by myself, so I've been hunting off the ground. But I've been looking more and more into saddles, and found this website, and saddles don't seem quite so scary. I do need a stick that has shorter distances between steps because I'm only 5'3" short legged lol, so any advice for that would be appreciated!

I also know hip pinch sounds like a common issue for women, so I'm trying to research the best option for a saddle. Looking forward to getting into this style!

Another option besides sticks would be the squirrel steps where you could vary your steps to your reach more easily. @Nutterbuster has a couple great youtube videos on them.

Welcome...I'm about an inch or so taller than you and can easily use step sticks that are 18" apart. However I'm also a short, squat 50 year old man. Let me recommend the muddy pro...I believe they are 18-19" spread and if that is to much then at the top stick I'd put a permanent loop of amsteel that you can use to get up to the next step. Then let me suggest the one stick method. As far as hip pinch goes...no clue for a lady. Welcome to the addiction...and if you're ever around the St. Louis or Alton, IL then I can help you with the saddle.

Howdy!

Most sticks have a standard 17" spacing that you should be able to try. Beast sticks and a lot of diy stuff is modded for a longer step. You might be interested in finding or making some old lone wolf mini sticks. They are short and light.

Not really sure how to advise on the hip pinch issue. I tried pretty much every saddle available before I made my choice.
I have tried the Hawk sticks once and thought it was a long reach, but it was also my first time on sticks, in the dark, with bulky heavy clothes and no linesmens belt. From what you all have said maybe I should give the Hawks another try.

Welcome from Maryland! A lot of good advice above, I would lean toward hawk helium’s to start. Good price, double steps & not too much distance b/w steps. I dont really get hip pinch unless my saddle is too high.... start w/an adjustable bridge so can mess around w/ it & see what is comfortable

Welcome from Virginia. Hit up the saddlehunter map, see if there's a fellow saddle hunter close to you whose saddle you could try on. Also, give the various manufacturers a call as they'll probably be able to recommend the best fit based on your hip size. Also take into account layers if you'll be cold weather hunting.
As for sticks if you're handy with tools or don't mind paying a machine shop to drill the posts doublesteps has all the components to make your own sticks. Others have already mentioned some other options. Props for ground hunting.

Welcome from Virginia. Hit up the saddlehunter map, see if there's a fellow saddle hunter close to you whose saddle you could try on. Also, give the various manufacturers a call as they'll probably be able to recommend the best fit based on your hip size. Also take into account layers if you'll be cold weather hunting.
As for sticks if you're handy with tools or don't mind paying a machine shop to drill the posts doublesteps has all the components to make your own sticks. Others have already mentioned some other options. Props for ground hunting.
Thanks Exhumis! I've always loved ground hunting with a gun, but with a bow it's tough lol, shoulda had a nice doe ealrier in the season but I missed my opportunity to draw because I thought she was a fawn, turned out she looked short cause she was in a low spot hahaha

Welcome from Southern Illinois. I'm also a women saddle hunter and I use hawk helium sticks. I'm still learning this new saddle hunting thing. I seem to like it but i struggle getting up the tree some but once up there its ok. Not giving up yet

Back