• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

No Aider - One Stick?

BowhunterXC

I tried using a quality aider and didn't like it. I'd like to try the "one stick" method, but while using 1 climbing stick.
I have a set of the Muddy Pro (original) climbing sticks that are 32" long with 3 full fixed steps. After adding a rope cam cleat (which I haven't done, yet), it would appear to be simple enough to use 1 climbing stick to reach the desired height and then set my platform.

Has anyone attempted to use 1 climbing stick, for a "one stick" method?

BowhunterH2

Attachments

• Muddy Pro 1.jpg
    Muddy Pro 1.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 64
Many of us have been one sticking for awhile now.... most use an aider of some kind to keep things lighter and more compact but I don't see why you couldn't simply use one, overall longer stick either. Some things to consider would be if you add that sized stick to your pack when heading into a setup, you're going to have more "sticking up" behind you to catch on brush and limbs. This is noisy and annoying and something many of us former climbing tree stand hunters used to despise. But, don't let anyone discourage you if you think this method would work better for you. There are a ton of ways to get around the potential noise factor if you do try it and decide you like it for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

Haven’t done it but there’s no reason it won’t work. Just can’t get as much distance per move.

I eliminated a step from my one-stick aider by using the tree as sort of the bottom step - push off and upward from the tree with your feet, letting your tether take your weight. You can do the same with your 1-stick.

Last edited:
Some things to consider would be if you add that sized stick to your pack when heading into a setup, you're going to have more "sticking up" behind you to catch on brush and limbs.
Thanks, but I've not experienced any "snagging" or catching on anything, yet.
I'm currently using 3 of these Muddy Pro sticks for climbing with my Cruzr XC.

Attachments

• Cruzr XC 1.jpg
    Cruzr XC 1.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 77
I tried using a quality aider and didn't like it. I'd like to try the "one stick" method, but while using 1 climbing stick.
I have a set of the Muddy Pro (original) climbing sticks that are 32" long with 3 full fixed steps. After adding a rope cam cleat (which I haven't done, yet), it would appear to be simple enough to use 1 climbing stick to reach the desired height and then set my platform.

Has anyone attempted to use 1 climbing stick, for a "one stick" method?

BowhunterH2
There's no reason it won't work just fine as long as you can easily get your foot on the bottom rungs after your stick move. The only downside I would see is having to carry a longer stick. If that's not an issue then you should be fine. I only use a single step aider on my shortened one stick, that's not much different than using a full length step as far as reach goes. I just prefer the shorter stick for packability.

The multi step aider is why I never tried one sticking. I do not feel comfortable on a aider with my toe to the tree. If i use a cable aider or versa aider and i put my foot side ways, like i was climbing with tree steps I am OK. You may want to give this a try.

The multi step aider is why I never tried one sticking. I do not feel comfortable on a aider with my toe to the tree. If i use a cable aider or versa aider and i put my foot side ways, like i was climbing with tree steps I am OK. You may want to give this a try.
GeoFish,
This is exactly why I don't like an aider. I tried a 2-step aider from Backwoods Mobil Gear, but didn't care for "toeing" the tree either. It was a high quality device, but I did NOT feel comfortable with this climbing method.
I may have to try your idea of a cable aider and see how that works. :)

GeoFish,
This is exactly why I don't like an aider. I tried a 2-step aider from Backwoods Mobil Gear, but didn't care for "toeing" the tree either. It was a high quality device, but I did NOT feel comfortable with this climbing method.
I may have to try your idea of a cable aider and see how that works. :)
With my single aider I do the same thing. I actually lay the side of my foot against the tree (not toe into the tree) and lean so that the side of my foot pushes against the tree. Since my next step is onto a solid step there is little to no chance of kickout this way. I'm not comfortable toe into the tree either. Multistep aiders are a no go for me.

Id put a single step aider on it and call it PERFECT! You can make one with bout anything you got laying around. I prefer hard steps over aider steps all day! Definitely do the cam cleat thing. The ease of attachment and release can’t be beat.
pit needs a paint job though =0)
AAA12D80-A9B8-4DE8-8522-6CA1411E2FDB.jpeg

BTW-I carry just my stick, ready to attach and climb up. It don’t weigh much and is a defense weapon in case the boogyman comes out!

Can totally be done. But aiders just make it more packable. The wire aider or an aider with a solid step might be worth a try if you really care about packability. But l have one stick with an ancient Ameristeps Rapid Rail. Was definitely easier then with my mini Helium with 3 steps aider.

Or try a K&N combo with one sticking.

With my single aider I do the same thing. I actually lay the side of my foot against the tree (not toe into the tree) and lean so that the side of my foot pushes against the tree. Since my next step is onto a solid step there is little to no chance of kickout this way. I'm not comfortable toe into the tree either. Multistep aiders are a no go for me.
Same here. Toe in only works for me if I’m pulling up on the stick pretty hard at the same time. Doable but not my favorite. By contrast if I slide my foot through the aider step to my instep amd push sorta sideways into the tree it’s nice and stable. Works on my two step aider pretty well. Much better going up than down but rappelling down fixes that.

all this said, do what works for you. No aider, one step, an 11 foot rope ladder…….

Can totally be done. But aiders just make it more packable. The wire aider or an aider with a solid step might be worth a try if you really care about packability. But l have one stick with an ancient Ameristeps Rapid Rail. Was definitely easier then with my mini Helium with 3 steps aider.

Or try a K&N combo with one sticking.
Curious—do you find k&n being more stable than aiders? I haven’t used but am intrigued. Still have to do that toe into the tree to leverage up, right?

Curious—do you find k&n being more stable than aiders? I haven’t used but am intrigued. Still have to do that toe into the tree to leverage up, right?

First, I myself dont have a problem with aiders. I'm using a 3 steps amsteel with cobra paracord wrap for steps...so take everything with your own preference!

But for you, I think just the Knaider would be sometime you might like. The Swaider is just basically an aider. But with the Knaider, you are using your hip muscle more to lift up and your dependency on contact with the tree is not that bad. It help with balance but your knee is creating a very secure contact with the step. Its something you can try at least.

I had an idea for a while to make a 4-5’ long walking stick with 3-4 standoffs and steps on it.

I’d still like to try it, maybe someone will make it.

long before anyone here was climbing with one stick, there was a feller climbing with a single lonewolf full stick and cam strap.

if I one stick I still use a cam strap it’s easiest method to me.

I had an idea for a while to make a 4-5’ long walking stick with 3-4 standoffs and steps on it.

I’d still like to try it, maybe someone will make it.

long before anyone here was climbing with one stick, there was a feller climbing with a single lonewolf full stick and cam strap.

if I one stick I still use a cam strap it’s easiest method to me.

What would be a reasonable weight for the stick?

Back