• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

No Madrock til August?

Dirk Dangler

Just read on EWO that safeguards weren’t expected til July or August...what in the world are they doing in Taiwan? Are they all
on unemployment too? I’m liking my GriGri more all the time.

Yikes. I've been considering buying a one stick and I guess I need to look into what all the alternatives are if I can't get a safeguard.

Just read on EWO that safeguards weren’t expected til July or August...what in the world are they doing in Taiwan? Are they all
on unemployment too? I’m liking my GriGri more all the time.

Been waiting since January. Ordered the rappel kit from ewo and got everything except the safeguard.

Don’t let the MR deter you from rappelling a simple ATC will do the trick. Always good to have a back up in case you ever drop your MR or birdie LOL don’t ask me how I know
Bum deal. Guess I'll be listing mine for $250 soon then :smile:
Redbeard I’ve watched you 2TC up the tree probably 30 times now. I’m trying to get the hang of it, I don’t have a water bottle but I do have a cool fanny pack.

I’ve been practicing one sticking/rappelling a little with a figure 8 with autoblock but if I had to do it that way all the time, I wouldn’t be one sticking. It will work but it’s a pain to get the slack out of the rope.

In the absence of a madrock (or similar) would it be better to one stick up with a conventional tether and then hook up rappel rope with friction device for decent?

What I have been doing until I can find a madrock is I've been making my climb with a distel hitch with a mini figure 8 to tend the knot I've also used Paracord to tend the knot and then I will either use a beal birdie to rappel down or a figure 8 the combos are endless it goes without saying if you use a beal birdie you need to back it up I just pouch mine until I'm ready to rappel down @valerio024 has a really good video on how to do that... the madrock is a luxury but I want one so bad!!!!!

In the absence of a madrock (or similar) would it be better to one stick up with a conventional tether and then hook up rappel rope with friction device for decent?
Good question. I think this is prob what I will be doing until I get a mad rock. Curious to see thoughts of people who have more experience.

Yes. 8’ tether and preferred friction knot up the tree. Figure 8 and rappel rope back down. Never liked the mad rock in my setup, so that’s how I did it. 8 or an ATC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. 8’ tether and preferred friction knot up the tree. Figure 8 and rappel rope back down. Never liked the mad rock in my setup, so that’s how I did it. 8 or an ATC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. This is what I was thinking, just haven’t tried it yet. I will the next time I get a chance to practice.

Is this Madrock Madness? Any belay device will work. The mechanically assisted devices are all basically the same.

Is this Madrock Madness? Any belay device will work. The mechanically assisted devices are all basically the same.

Problem is I’ve already paid for mine. When I ordered my uos back in January. I’m perfectly comfortable rappelling with a fig 8 and autoblock. It just doesn’t work that well for the ascent.

For the time being I am practicing with using my tether to climb, then switching to my rappel rope with a munter or super munter hitch hooked up to a carabiner with a prussik knot clipped into my linemans loop.

Back