• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

No Sticking Thread

HuntNorthEast

Hey guys, I have some questions that I bet you can answer. I just asked @Weldabeast a few questions on a 1 stick thread, and I am sure @Nutterbuster has some input.

Who no sticks and what combo is the best as far as platform/aiders go? I just tried my predator with some tied on webbing and ascended just as easy as with my muddy pro. The only thing that was more difficult was not having a cam cleat for moves. One other thing I noticed is I tied a 2 step aider from webbing and when the bottom step is under load, the top step is hair pin tight. Are there any factory aiders designed for no sticking? I want to run my predator with a 2 step aider and rappel down. Dropping the 1 stick frees up more room for camera gear and makes my pack less of a snag hazard.

Thanks guys! Pics would be appreciated btw!

I made all my stuff so I can't help with store bought gear. My anchor point that I attach my aider to is just simply 9mm rope. I made a webbing double step that is attached to the same anchor rope. I attach the rope with a timber hitch and the double step is up as high as I can reach. Then attach aider and hook up linesman belt. Climb to top of aider (homemade 2"webbing 4 step)and step into webbing double step. I can unhook the aider and I set the next stirrup anchor....repeat to desired hight. I can use any platform/ros I choose. I use a soft sack/bag for my platform

Hey guys, I have some questions that I bet you can answer. I just asked @Weldabeast a few questions on a 1 stick thread, and I am sure @Nutterbuster has some input.

Who no sticks and what combo is the best as far as platform/aiders go? I just tried my predator with some tied on webbing and ascended just as easy as with my muddy pro. The only thing that was more difficult was not having a cam cleat for moves. One other thing I noticed is I tied a 2 step aider from webbing and when the bottom step is under load, the top step is hair pin tight. Are there any factory aiders designed for no sticking? I want to run my predator with a 2 step aider and rappel down. Dropping the 1 stick frees up more room for camera gear and makes my pack less of a snag hazard.

Cbigbear has a video:

And to your Predator:

Last edited:
The BB also projects purpose built platforms for no sticking, and I agree that seems so sensible as to expect it immediately...yet we still await a climbing platforms...so...

In that projection, a 90deg turnout was mentioned as a design component. Makes perfect sense.

A step that is proud of the platform when folded for climbing offers 1. a step and 2. a potential aider attachment point away from the tree. (I don't have enough experience to know if a high and away aider connection would destabilize the system beyond acceptable limits).

I imagine this purpose built platform would utilize two batwings for stable climbing, with the platform's V securing the system when camed over (in relief of the lower batwing).

So, in relatable terms, a platform like an EDP with an extended post so it would fold under a top step like an OOAL scout, with an extra batwing on the post, and an aider system integrated with the step.

Cbigbear has a video:

And to your Predator:
Thanks for tagging these in here, I tried to search and find some info but wasn't getting good results!

My train of thought is different than most I see/read. Since my main climbing method is the aider I went the opposite of most and built mine big and beefy. No spaghetti noodles....wide for stability and it's got some weight to it on purpose.....I sandwiched some .25 rubber in-between the webbing and between the rubber and gravity the steps always stay open...I could climb with just an anchor rope and aider just like 1 stick method but I prefer to have that double step so I can reach up and get the next anchor rope attached as high as I possibly canScreenshot_20210315-204350_(1).pngScreenshot_20210315-204454_(1).pngScreenshot_20210315-204400_(1).png

Here's my Mission climbing platform. 3 step aider, corners cut off, EWO ultralight step, and amsteel loop. The only other mod I'm contemplating is a rope and cam cleat, might mess with that this summer. As it is right now it climbs great and the aider works perfectly with the cut outs. I climb right, left, right with my feet and my right knee/shin fits perfectly in the center cut out while using the top step of the aider allowing me to get my left foot onto the left side corner cutout easily. The EWO step is used for pulling myself up similar to a climbing stick. My first step on the aider I use the platform to hold onto, after that I use the EWO. I'm still working on aider storage but a nite ize tie seems to work decent enough. I did have to shorten the top step on the aider to get everything fitted perfect for climbing but that's no big deal. Just fold the aider onto itself and stitch it up (and yes hand stitching worked fine, it's not going anywhere). Resizer_16159667308872.jpgResizer_16159667308873.jpgResizer_16159667308870.jpgResizer_16159667308871.jpg

Treehopper platform with Lone Wolf strap run through the tube closest the tree. Old hook from ratchet strap girth hitched to one end of Lone Wolf strap for quick connection. (Hook in loop, pull tight, push platform down)

3 step Amsteel aider connected to platform via continuous loops. Easy to climb up with, packs up small and light, plenty of platform space. I would recommend rappelling down with this configuration simply because climbing down on aiders in the dark could be tricky...

Screenshot_20210317-071934.png

Screenshot_20210317-071951.png

Screenshot_20210317-072434.png

I found switching the standoff on my predator to a batwing was a must for climbing with it. I use a 2 step webbing aider but the 2nd step is an amsteel loop inserted in clear tubing on the right side the webbing. This keeps the loop open regardless of pressure on the aider. I started one sticking back in the day with a cam buckle & never saw the need to switch so climbing without a cam cleat is just normal to me.

I found switching the standoff on my predator to a batwing was a must for climbing with it. I use a 2 step webbing aider but the 2nd step is an amsteel loop inserted in clear tubing on the right side the webbing. This keeps the loop open regardless of pressure on the aider. I started one sticking back in the day with a cam buckle & never saw the need to switch so climbing without a cam cleat is just normal to me.

Yeah, in your video you slide the cam strap up the tree without ever detaching it, no problemo. With the platform obscuring the strap attachment point, seems easier to do that than releasing the cam cleat and pulling the rope back through each move without some sort of keeper.

Thoughts on two batwings for extra stability?

Yeah, in your video you slide the cam strap up the tree without ever detaching it, no problemo. With the platform obscuring the strap attachment point, seems easier to do that than releasing the cam cleat and pulling the rope back through each move without some sort of keeper.

After I posted the no stick video someone on here modded their platform with a diy standoff at the bottom. I haven’t found the need with a batwing up top. It bites hard & I haven’t had a kickout.

I have climbed a couple small diameter trees where the V of the platform wasn't able to make contact and the post would slide a bit to either side while climbing. I think as long as I'm aware of that issue and it doesn't catch me off guard it shouldn't be a problem. But I have considered adding a smaller modified batwing to the bottom post.

Back