• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Non member product discussion

Tr33_n1nj@

SH Member
Since all discussion of products have been moved to the Members only Vendor Access section, is there an acceptable place for non members to discuss their thoughts and opinions about products and equipment? I don’t want to start a new thread about something new only to have it moved to a place where I can’t participate.

Since all discussion of products have been moved to the Members only Vendor Access section, is there an acceptable place for non members to discuss their thoughts and opinions about products and equipment? I don’t want to start a new thread about something new only to have it moved to a place where I can’t participate.

I wondered that as well. Especially since new people to saddle hunting who find this board are pretty likely to have questions about the equipment.

With adoption of the new rules our plan is not to move threads especially when started by non SH members we realized that would not be cool.

With adoption of the new rules our plan is not to move threads especially when started by non SH members we realized that would not be cool.

I gotcha. Appreciate the response.
(For the record I still plan on joining. I’m just waiting for the season to end so my membership doesn’t end in the middle of the 2020 Deer Hunting Contest.)

If you’re seeking a vendors input on a product then it would take place there & membership would be required. But plenty of experience here to discuss outside of the section.......

I guess I don't see what the issue is with non-members posting in the vendor access area and why there needs to be a charge for that. I understand charging for the classifieds as people are selling there, and I understand charging of vendors as they are getting advertisement. Seems that not allowing nonmembers to post in the vendor area will likely cause more clutter on the board. More likely to have a Trophyline Saddle review and question thread in the vendor area and then one somewhere else. Not my house so I obviously don't make the rules, but just my thoughts. It doesn't matter to me as I will simply PM people who work for the vendor, or someone else from that vendor thread if I have a question.

I guess I don't see what the issue is with non-members posting in the vendor access area and why there needs to be a charge for that. I understand charging for the classifieds as people are selling there, and I understand charging of vendors as they are getting advertisement. Seems that not allowing nonmembers to post in the vendor area will likely cause more clutter on the board. More likely to have a Trophyline Saddle review and question thread in the vendor area and then one somewhere else. Not my house so I obviously don't make the rules, but just my thoughts. It doesn't matter to me as I will simply PM people who work for the vendor, or someone else from that vendor thread if I have a question.

I don’t think the vendors pay to be here, just to access the area where they can freely/openly discuss their products. That’s fine with me, I was just worried about non members still being able to discuss the products outside that area with people who aren’t vendors (which in my opinion is what it was like for me when I first joined because I didn’t know who was who. Embarrassed to say it took me too long to figure out why that guy from Tethr’d looked so much like that G2Outdoors guy).

Last edited:

You're not wrong, there may be some clutter as everyone adjusts to the new rules. You are welcome to post wherever you like. If you want a public vendor response to your public post become a member.

Apologies for being terse, busy.

I don’t think the vendors pay to be here, just to access the area where they can freely discuss their products. That’s fine with me, I was just worried about non members still being able to discuss the products outside that area with people who aren’t vendors (which in my opinion is what it was like for me when I first joined because I didn’t know who was who. Embarrassed to say it took me too long to figure out why that guy from Tethr’d looked so much like that G2Outdoors guy).

Yes Vendors only have to pay to post in the vendor area. I guess my point is if there is a thread in the vendor area about a new aerohunter saddle that isn't released yet. A new saddle enthusiast has a question on some new accessories for that saddle, I think that thread would be the best place and this would allow the vendor to discuss the topic with the poster.

You are correct that you can contact vendors directly. You can also reach out to various vendors at their own customer service channels, emails, phone numbers, etc.

But for $15 dollars a year you can get direct access to most of the saddle hunting vendors in one location. Seems like a good deal to me.

You're not wrong, there may be some clutter as everyone adjusts to the new rules. You are welcome to post wherever you like. If you want a public vendor response to your public post become a member.

Apologies for being terse, busy.
No issue. To be truthful I would never pay to post on a public hunting forum. Sorry about that, but there is plenty of other places to post about hunting, so I am not going to pay. Now if I was selling a ton of hunting stuff like some then I wouldn't have an issue forking over some money. LIke I said after being on here for a while I know who works or is affiliated with the different companies anyhow, and most of them are on other hunting boards besides this one. I am surprised that there isn't some sort of advertisement or ads like you would see on most boards to cover the costs of the board.

Anyway I will digress as this isn't my house and it makes no difference to me what is done.

You are correct that you can contact vendors directly. You can also reach out to various vendors at their own customer service channels, emails, phone numbers, etc.

But for $15 dollars a year you can get direct access to most of the saddle hunting vendors in one location. Seems like a good deal to me.

$15 isn't a lot to part with... Hell, I spent that this week on delrin balls... But I was flat pissed off at not being able to reply to threads that had got moved to a pay-only forum when previous non-member replies were already present.

It shoots the forum's own foot to have valuable posts locking new and old visitors out of participation.

I could surely see charging to START a thread on certain topics- like a new product announcement, or to have signature links to vendor sites, etc... But the way it is now is frustration to anyone on the fence about getting into saddle hunting and wanting to ask a question in a thread that is on their topic of interest.

Bad design drives away customers. It is a reason I haven't registered yet when I could easily afford it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

$15 isn't a lot to part with... Hell, I spent that this week on delrin balls... But I was flat pissed off at not being able to reply to threads that had got moved to a pay-only forum when previous non-member replies were already present.

It shoots the forum's own foot to have valuable posts locking new and old visitors out of participation.

I could surely see charging to START a thread on certain topics- like a new product announcement, or to have signature links to vendor sites, etc... But the way it is now is frustration to anyone on the fence about getting into saddle hunting and wanting to ask a question in a thread that is on their topic of interest.

Bad design drives away customers. It is a reason I haven't registered yet when I could easily afford it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Many of those threads were moved to that area before it was for SH members only. We tried to limit the impact the new rules would have on all posters but we knew there would be a few bumps along the way.

What I can tell you is that from this point forward, posts started outside of of the Vendor section won't be moved but, you also won't be able to solicit vendor advice about their products. If you want to discuss specific products with the vendor, you can become an SH member and post in the vendor section.

I feel like I have a scarlet letter now. :)

I paid my membership fee sometime back to support this site, and no other reason.

Great than you get what you wanted. You can now comment on all the threads in the vendor section. Last time we talked you where upset that you could no longer comment on products. Now you can :) and you’re already paid in full

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No issue. To be truthful I would never pay to post on a public hunting forum. Sorry about that, but there is plenty of other places to post about hunting, so I am not going to pay. Now if I was selling a ton of hunting stuff like some then I wouldn't have an issue forking over some money. LIke I said after being on here for a while I know who works or is affiliated with the different companies anyhow, and most of them are on other hunting boards besides this one. I am surprised that there isn't some sort of advertisement or ads like you would see on most boards to cover the costs of the board.

Anyway I will digress as this isn't my house and it makes no difference to me what is done.

No ads is one of the major things I like about this site. I hate using Tapatalk because of all the ads.

@cspot all the new rules did was add value to paid membership. It didn’t take away anything from the free membership because they added an option that wasn’t previously there. I do blame you for not wanting to pay for a public forum. For most of the people that paid this isn’t just another hunting forum. It’s their entertainment. It’s a place where they are building relationships and a place they enjoy spending time. They consider it an opportunity to be able to pay their own way. I’m glad they are still focused on adding value to the paid membership.

If it’s a paid membership is it really a public forum?
I gladly paid and will pay years too come. Red supported this site long enough. It’s now became work. Hard to enjoy. Too much moderation, Why would he want to foot the bill alone?

See you in a tree, Ricky

Back