• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Noobie...Dialing in my Saddle Hunting Setup

IslandStorm62

Here we go..I've posted this on another thread, but wanted to place it here to start my process. Please comment if you have an idea that could help me improve as I dial-in my process. First my equipment:
ItemDescription
Hunting SaddleCovert Lite Saddle M/L SKU: TSCOVERTL2020-ML-CO
Climbing SticksHawks 20" Climbing Sticks 4-Pack
Predator Rope - Lineman Belt and Tether11.4 mm 12' x 2 w/ 2" & 5" Hand-Spliced eye
2 - Prusik CordsSterling 7mm Sewn Prusik Cord 19"
1 - Prusik CordGM 8mm (5/16) Prusik Sewn Eye to Eye, 30" Cord
PlatformEDP - 13.5" x 13 ( $136 + $15 (Shipping))

So today May 2, 2021 was my first attempt at using the system. I am still trying to figure out a carry / pack sytem and how I want to move around with the gear. The above list weighs in at 20lbs...w/o a backpack. Not as light as I had hoped for, but still way better than my API Outdoors Magnum Tree Stand.

I only setup one stick and the platform, so standing on the platform I was about 4.5' above the ground.

I learned three things today

1 - Do not hold your prusik (friction knot) unless you intend to shift it (I knew this). :blush: I inadvertently grabbed the prusik hitch and found myself horizontal to the tree. LOL, I was fortunate that in my panic,I released the prusik to catch myself, and the prusik immediately grabbed.

2 - Where the "Girth Hitch" of your tether is, will be the Center of Balance for your Saddle. Not realizing this when I was setup and tried to move towards the side of the tree where the girth hitch was; momentum swung me out further than I had anticipated and once again I was horizontal without any purchase on my platform or sticks. :blush: Gotta say though...it was a fun ride.

3 - Your tether needs to be high enough in order to provide room for the system to work properly with the rope bridge. I am short so I needed to reach higher, otherwise there was little to no space between the Rope Bridge pursik and the tether carabiner.

Equipment Issues.

1 - The Rope Bridge loops are really big. I can barely get the prusik to grip because of interference with the tether carabiner. I think I need to shorten the prusik and/or find a way to shorten the rope bridge loops

2 - The EDP platform base does not dig into the tree trunk properly, for that matter, neither does the platform top step.. When I push off the left or right edge of the platform, the base shifts and does not inspire confidence. I think the "versa button" is too high on the platform step and that prevents the base from being locked in firmly.

3- The pouches provided with the saddle are not that easily accessible (minor issue). They sit too far behind, making it challenging to zip and unzip. So I need to work on my flexibility. More importantly the zipper pulls make a lot of noise. More than any noise I made working with the sticks.

I'm new so I will need to work on the techniques in order to make a safer, smoother, dependable and faster climb. I worked on two trees and timed the second tree. To set up one stick, platform and get the saddle tethered in, it took about 20 minutes.

I have not used the edp but sounds like you are not setting exactly right. You may have to reset it a few times to get it to really bite in. Make sure you have enough room to apply down pressure before caming over. If it doesn’t sit right just re do it until it is good.

I'm brand new to this also and learning some of the same things. I'm also using the EDP platform and Hawk 20" sticks. The first time I used it I had the same problem as you. Second time I made sure the strap was level with the button, tight as I could get it with the platform tilted up most of the way, then really lever it down hard. Rock solid.

I bought two cheap dump pouches off Amazon (Tacti-cool brand). Lots of space inside, cinch cord closure, can position wherever I want on my Latitude Method saddle.

Screenshot_20210804-153649_Gallery.jpg

If the EDP isn’t biting into the tree you aren’t setting it right. Haven’t stood on the EDP but my Mission is the most solid platform I’ve tried.

Back