• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

North Georgia Buck

@Hardly_Hangin I was using three hawk heliums with a CAYG single step aider and shot him with my Rem 700 SPS varmint .308.

I saw him at about 300 yds away heading away from me in a small shooting window but had no opportunity. I decided to hit my bleat can in case he was wanting some action he may be interested. About five minutes later I have a big doe skirting a ridge. I put the scope on her to see if I can tell how old she may be and notice another deer is in tow. At this point, they are both approximately 100-150 yds off angling towards me on a ridge/field line. She ends up turning off the field edge and heading higher up the mountain about 60 yds away from me and is now heading towards my 6:00 position. Once the deer in tow makes the same turn I'm able to see he is a buck but can't determine if he meets my growth standards (4 on one side and beyond the ears). Because of some thicket laurel and privet, I cannot track him with the scope consistently as he is skirting slowly behind the doe. I end up letting him get to about 75 yds at my 7:00 before I can tell he is a green light to shoot. I rotate further (thanks to the saddle) and am able to shoot him at my almost direct 6:00. He runs about 50 yds straight uphill before expiring. The hit was as perfect as one could hope with a direct heart shot and 3+ inch exit. Great memory in some tough terrain for sure.

@Hardly_Hangin I was using three hawk heliums with a CAYG single step aider and shot him with my Rem 700 SPS varmint .308.

I saw him at about 300 yds away heading away from me in a small shooting window but had no opportunity. I decided to hit my bleat can in case he was wanting some action he may be interested. About five minutes later I have a big doe skirting a ridge. I put the scope on her to see if I can tell how old she may be and notice another deer is in tow. At this point, they are both approximately 100-150 yds off angling towards me on a ridge/field line. She ends up turning off the field edge and heading higher up the mountain about 60 yds away from me and is now heading towards my 6:00 position. Once the deer in tow makes the same turn I'm able to see he is a buck but can't determine if he meets my growth standards (4 on one side and beyond the ears). Because of some thicket laurel and privet, I cannot track him with the scope consistently as he is skirting slowly behind the doe. I end up letting him get to about 75 yds at my 7:00 before I can tell he is a green light to shoot. I rotate further (thanks to the saddle) and am able to shoot him at my almost direct 6:00. He runs about 50 yds straight uphill before expiring. The hit was as perfect as one could hope with a direct heart shot and 3+ inch exit. Great memory in some tough terrain for sure.
Awesome story. So you shot him at your original 6:00, did you swing 180 around the tree and use the tree for a prop or your bridge?

I hunt Chattahoochee NF north of Dahlonega around Suches. Congrats on a fine Mountain Ridge Runner.

Nice buck; North Georgia mountains is on my bucket list to hunt. I currently hunt a couple of WMAs in Paulding County

I hunt mostly the Chattahoochee and private that borders it. I personally haven't seen many bears this year, but I do know from others the population is up, but not nearly as bad as the wild pig population here.

See many bears up there this year?

I saw a total of five during the first two weeks of bow season. Tore my MCL just over a month ago so I have not been able to get back out there. Hoping to in a couple of weeks.

I saw a total of five during the first two weeks of bow season. Tore my MCL just over a month ago so I have not been able to get back out there. Hoping to in a couple of weeks.
Hope your recovery goes well and you get back out there soon! I have yet to seal the deal on one, maybe I'll get on one at dawson forest in a couple of weeks

Was able to claim my first buck from the saddle last night in my aero hunter kite. All the hard work to claim one of these mountain bucks pays off again.
View attachment 21137View attachment 21138
I know this is an old thread, but that is a very solid mountain deer. Good looking buck. I hunt the mountains of north Georgia as well and the big ones are hard to come by, but they are out there is one puts in enough hours in the woods. Congrats on the buck.

When does the season in Georgia start? I currently live in north east Ohio. I also hunt Pennsylvania. Looking to maybe hunt southern states.

Archery (Either Sex) runs from September 11- January 09. Firearms season will run from Oct. 16-Jan. 09. If you are wanting to hunt public, definitely check out Cohutta WMA, which has a hair over 100,000 acres of huntable land (has a few gun dates, but is mostly archery. Rich Mtn WMA is not bad either.

Back