• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Nutterbuster and Scooby-Doo

Nutterbuster

SH Member
My much-adored '96 Blazer finally hit the point of diminishing returns a couple of weeks ago. Transmission started acting up in early archery season, and after a slow goodbye it finally bit the dust. The $500 Murder-Wagon ended its last season strong, hauling over a dozen piney woods goats out of the riverbottom swamps and rolling hills. But all good things come to an end, and after putting $300 cash in my hand a friend hauled her away to the Great Scrapyard in the Sky.

The Wife and I have gone 11 years without making car payments. We've limped and cussed beaters along and used that money to finance a home, go on some cool trips, and pay off what little student debt we had. It made sense. But working on a car every quarter and never being 100% sure they were going to crank and make it back home got old. We kicked it around, and decided with our refi on the home being so good to us, saving money working remote, and me making a little extra money with @DanO now it made sense to at least consider a car that didn't leak oil on @swampsnyper's driveway when I went to visit.

Long story short, we lucked out and found a screaming good deal on a 2018 Subaru Forester that only had 3400 miles on it. Basically bought a brand new car for an almost $10k discount. I've wanted one of these little boogers for years. My baby sister took one look and dubbed it a "soccer mom car" but it's a soccer mom car with 9 inches of clearance and AWD that's roomy enough to let me sleep in the back and that can haul the Flat Bottomed Girl around to the local launches. Me gusta.

The Murder-Wagon 2.0 will be making the rounds next season. Pics to follow...Ungulates beware...

Sounds like you're gonna need one of these. :)

Soon as the dealer fixes a little dent in the door that I fussed about I'm taking it to a uhaul and getting them to put a 2" hitch and trailer wiring on it. I bought a $50 Harbour freight hitch rack last year and I will never try and drag a deer up into a pickup bed again, much less put one in the trunk.

Soon as the dealer fixes a little dent in the door that I fussed about I'm taking it to a uhaul and getting them to put a 2" hitch and trailer wiring on it. I bought a $50 Harbour freight hitch rack last year and I will never try and drag a deer up into a pickup bed again, much less put one in the trunk.
Technically its not the trunk since its a hatchback! ITs just "In the car"....

Next time anyone buys a new car try telling the sales guy at the dealership "I really need a leather one so the blood cleans off easier" with no explanation and see what they say... or do....

Last edited:
Technically its not the trunk since its a hatchback! ITs just "In the car"....

Next time anyone buys a new car try telling the sales guy at the dealership "I really need a leather one so the blood cleans off easier" with no explanation and see what they say... or do....
I rolled up fully ready to tangle with the sales guy. I've never bought a car that wasn't a "hand the owner the money and sign a bill of sale" kinda thing and you hear all kinda BS about used car salespeople. He was super mellow though and actually grew up on a 400 acre farm in Enterprise, AL. I doubt he'd have batted an eye.

I put a hitch on the crosstrek last spring. Haul's jetski, lawn tractor, etc just fine. I have an F150 but it's nice to be able to toss the jetski on the car for longer trips or if I'm towing the boat already

We are a two scooby family. My wife has a ‘14 outback and I’ve got an 06 forester. I wasn’t sure about the CVT at first but it’s been good. I drive mine daily and sometimes in nasty weather. The symmetrical AWD is much better than the Honda CRV that I had. My only complaint is the roof rack bars are curved and mine consumes a little oil. Starting in ‘14 Subaru switched to a timing chain instead of a belt too.
3026aa296b8c43c97671321f259b3d9b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your gonna need to grow out some dreads and get some hemp twine flip flops. Only alternative is put a lift and some buckshots on it.

In the narrow, snow covered twisty 'roaded' hills of Vermont and the ADK's, that's all you see, older diesel front wheel drive Mercedes Benz or Subaru's of any composition. There is a reason for that.

Can’t wait to see the rattle can sponge paint job, pvc canoe carrying apparatus, deer sled ramp, and all of the other efficient and inescapably redneck improvements you make

Can’t wait to see the rattle can sponge paint job, pvc canoe carrying apparatus, deer sled ramp, and all of the other efficient and inescapably redneck improvements you make
Lol. It's getting crossbars and a 2" receiver, and probably some lightweight all-terrain tires when these give out. That's it. I keep a go bag in all the vehicles with an air pump, good jack, jumper cables, tow strap, and some other essentials. This one will probably have some traction planks and a come-along too. That's about all I've ever wanted

We looked at them pretty closely but the deal breaker for the wifey was no 3rd row. Fun car to drive and everyone we talked to that had one says they're super reliable. I'm sure i'll regret not buying one.

Back