• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

NutterBuster Tries a Platform Again

Nutterbuster

SH Member
OH MY GOSH THE FORUM IS BACK ONLINE!!

I've been wanting to post this so bad. I bought an old treesuit platform from @Vtbow because why not, right? After stripping and abrasive-wheeling all the rust, duct tape, and paint off of it, I gave it a little shot of sponge camo and a lone wolf strap and....

Money.

This thing is rock solid, deadly quiet, stupid simple to set up, and handles side pressure like a tank. No spring, no wiggle, no shifting, no popping... just cinch the cambuckle tight and apply weight. It's like the dang thing grew on the tree.

Somebody who can weld, PLEASE start replicating these. It's steel, but it's only 3.75lbs. I hunted on it this morning and while I'm still a ROS guy, this will get used. If you could make them for $50-$75, I'd buy them as presets.

It was originally intended to be used as a climber too. At some point I'll see if I can make that work. Might be a handy trick for some of our sticky pine trees.

0f780134d7a3e6caba6de8db8ae9b6b7.jpg
e82364fa37cad61d3b19a93cd6954ddb.jpg
6325dc56bb0377c40ef9db1ea054c046.jpg
9fcf211e7e43ffe459e96886b8def3a5.jpg
120f4cd38a8df54aefae0b3aa602eb84.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OH MY GOSH THE FORUM IS BACK ONLINE!!

I've been wanting to post this so bad. I bought an old treesuit platform from @Vtbow because why not, right? After stripping and abrasive-wheeling all the rust, duct tape, and paint off of it, I gave it a little shot of sponge camo and a lone wolf strap and....

Money.

This thing is rock solid, deadly quiet, stupid simple to set up, and handles side pressure like a tank. No spring, no wiggle, no shifting, no popping... just cinch the cambuckle tight and apply weight. It's like the dang thing grew on the tree.

Somebody who can weld, PLEASE start replicating these. It's steel, but it's only 3.75lbs. I hunted on it this morning and while I'm still a ROS guy, this will get used. If you could make them for $50-$75, I'd buy them as presets.

It was originally intended to be used as a climber too. At some point I'll see if I can make that work. Might be a handy trick for some of our sticky pine trees.
0f780134d7a3e6caba6de8db8ae9b6b7.jpg
e82364fa37cad61d3b19a93cd6954ddb.jpg
6325dc56bb0377c40ef9db1ea054c046.jpg
9fcf211e7e43ffe459e96886b8def3a5.jpg
120f4cd38a8df54aefae0b3aa602eb84.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I'm in too

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm out of town, but we'd also like dimensions. When I get home I can try one then post.

I’ve got one I’ll throw in the classifieds later today for someone to pick up...I’m in love with my predator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you also post pics of the tree sideof it. Looks simple enough

I just made my first platform. Have always used my sticks or ameristeps. Oh my, I cant believe how nice it works. So easy to move around unlike getting my feet from 1 step to the next
Can you post pics, mild steel? I only MIG

Nutterbuster... What other platforms have you tried that you didn't like? I'm new to the saddle game and honestly fairly ignorant to what's all out there.

I haven't seen one of those, sweet stuff. The benefits of a platform are hard to negate. For comfort, it's just really nice to have something to stand on to relieve the saddle pressure. And the low-movement shot options they open up for a bowhunter are a no brainer.

Nutterbuster... What other platforms have you tried that you didn't like? I'm new to the saddle game and honestly fairly ignorant to what's all out there.
I'm not a great person to get insight from here, because I'm just not a huge platform guy. For me a ROS is actually MORE comfortable and natural feeling than a platform, and it's lighter and works in more trees. I like not having my feet squished together, and I'm not a fan of leaning, which a platform kinda necessitates.

I did get in on the predator preorder last year, and had 2 gen 1's. First one broke camming over, second one I just never fell in love with and sold to finance spurs (Which I also ended up selling. I'm fickle.) Mine had a pop to them that grease couldn't permanently fix, and a "spring" that I could never get used to. I also did not feel comfortable appkying extreme side pressure to the back/sides of the platform.

That being said, platforms can be easier to set correctly, and maybe work a little better in situations where limbs or a lean prevent you from swinging around the tree. I'm glad I was able to add this one to my arsenal.

Your paint job a base of tan with brown sponged? or is their green sponged too? I like the light background, I"ve usually gone darker for a base.

Your paint job a base of tan with brown sponged? or is their green sponged too? I like the light background, I"ve usually gone darker for a base.
Yup, just tan and brown. First time I've gone that light with the base, but I'll be doing it from here on out. Makes sense. Deer are kinda tan and those jokers are invisible if the freeze. And Realtree is mostly tan and is my favorite camo pattern. Bottomland is also tan-based.

I think I'm going to paint my 20 gauge at some point, and probably that other little project I PMed you. That's the first camo job I've done that really impressed me.

Back