• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ohio?

Tim0712

SH Member
So next year I came to the conclusion that I’m gonna go to Ohio blind and test my luck. Anyone have some encouraging pointers? I’ve never hunted in any state other than Massachusetts, Connecticut and New Hampshire. I was looking at going to Woodbury wildlife management area in the cochocton area and just camping in my truck since I plan to go the first week of November so it should be to to cold. Just a feeler post to see what the guys who hunt out west think and if I’m looking in the right area

I live in the the very southern tip of Ohio and have never stepped foot on Woodbury....but I will say this I see it mentioned online in the forums more than any other piece of public we have. If you have any specifics about the Ironton district of Wayne national shoot me a PM and I'll you guys anyway I can.

What he said goes for me as well as far as helping ^^^

Also yea I’ve heard about that area more than any other as well. Maybe besides Wayne but Wayne is huge

@Bowtie747 @baz77 thanks guys! I’m not married to the idea of Woodbury just figured it would be a good start if I decide to go more south I’ll certainly be getting in touch!

I haven't deer hunted Woodbury for a long time. I still get there a couple of days in the spring. It does have a primitive camping area.
That’s my biggest concern is camping lol and everything I read said there’s free camping there which is nice seeing as I have a toddler and my wife’s stay at home I don’t have the 2k to dish out and go to an outfitter lol plus I’d rather be on my own and hunt the way it was intended

You won’t have any trouble finding new friends that week, lol

Should find a few deer too though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The primitive camping area is free. Also you are only about 5 miles from a small town if you need some groceries. I like the area and often think of hunting it, its about 45 minutes from my house but fortunately I have a wildlife area 1.5 miles away and plenty of quality deer in our area.

Lots of CRP open ground. Lots of hunters but there are good deer. The private around it gets hunted as hard as the public. I spent an average of 20 days or more a year up there for over 10 years both public and private. Killed some incredible deer on both. Stopped going because I went elk hunting and let’s just say that changed everything. That’s where my time goes now. Still hunt Ohio just 2 hours less drive. I’ve also hunted several other public pieces over the years. If you do your homework and put the time in, you’ll find big bucks anywhere in the state. At the point I’m at in my hunting career, I want the toughest and roughest ground which eliminates people which creates natural movement. It’s all about the adventure and the hunt. I kinda want go back up here now. Dang it Dale

At the point I’m at in my hunting career, I want the toughest and roughest ground which eliminates people which creates natural movement. It’s all about the adventure and the hunt.

... and kill one of the dominant bucks there!

Best advice is go deeper than anyone else. Hard to get into places like water crossings hold the deer that have been pushed around in early season. Find the bedding - find the deer.

Best advice is go deeper than anyone else. Hard to get into places like water crossings hold the deer that have been pushed around in early season. Find the bedding - find the deer.
I was thinking about doing some road scouting the night I get there then us topo to figure out where they’re gonna more than likely be and go in blind! I don’t wanna trash the place for every hunter in the area and fill it full of scent lol

So next year I came to the conclusion that I’m gonna go to Ohio blind and test my luck. Anyone have some encouraging pointers? I’ve never hunted in any state other than Massachusetts, Connecticut and New Hampshire. I was looking at going to Woodbury wildlife management area in the cochocton area and just camping in my truck since I plan to go the first week of November so it should be to to cold. Just a feeler post to see what the guys who hunt out west think and if I’m looking in the right area
I’ll be going there about the same time. I’m going deep SE

Back