• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Oklahoma Newbie

shoofokc

Hi All!

So I just realized my old HSS had expired (didn't realize that was something to consider) a couple years back and stumbled across DIY Sportsman's video about using a rock harness instead of a standard "hunting" harness. I primarily hunt out of a climber or hang-on (with sticks) and have already set up linemans belt (with ropeman), tether with prusik, and 30' lifeline with prusik all out of 11mm static climbing rope (PMI EZ Bend) and 8mm for prusiks.

In poking around these forums, my interest is definitely piqued. It seem like all I would need to try this out would be:

• Rock harness (which I already needed to replace my old HSS setup)
  • Some 1" tubular webbing for an aider on one of my LW sticks and bridge
  • Sitdrag
  • Platform of some sort (maybe a couple stepps or the predator, but I'm trying to keep costs down if possible)
  • Maybe a belay device to make decent much easier (thinking about the gri gri and just rappelling down)
I'm thinking about a switch to the one stick method (since I already have the sticks) and maybe someday going SRT but I feel like I already have most everything else I need to get started with this.

Any feedback from anyone is much appreciated! Am I underestimating what I'd need? Does anyone see anything inherently wrong with what I already have or what I'd plan to get? Ideally, I'm hoping to get more mobile and add in more public land hunting closer to home (my lease is a 10 hour round trip which makes quick afternoon or morning sits a non-option) without having to lug the stand around as much. I'm also trying to come up with the setup I can re-use the most out of if I find this method isn't for me.

Thanks!

Welcome from SE Michigan! Sounds like you are on the right track. I'd like to research more into rappelling down during the off season. Way more cool to rappel then climb down.

Thanks for all the welcome notes! Looking forward to learning as much as possible from everyone here!

Back