• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Old Public Land Trophy

SG843

Was able to take this trophy on 10/20.

Decided to head out despite the warmer weather and chances of rain. Work has been crazy and got an unexpected break, so got to get it while you can.

Checked the winds and came up with a game plan. Decided on a spot that I've had good luck and success in the past.

Spotted this 4 pointer a touch before 9am. He basically materialized, walked maybe 30-40yds, bedded down. Cool, I began to watch him thinking he will help me with spotting other deer moving through. Where he lays isn't supper thick so I'm able to study him. The more I look, the older he gets.

After a hour or so he gets up, moves back to where he came from earlier and just stood there. I watched him snooze on his feet for around 30min. Reminded me of a cow sleeping on his feet. Finally he decided to bed back down. During this time I had decided if he heads my way that I would give him a try.

Sometime after 11am he gets up again and moves another 30-40yds, beds down. What I noticed about this spot is that he looks to be killable. With the binoculars I could see a stalkable route, he had thick cover between us. With a perfect, steady blowing wind, it looked like this could possibly work out.

He's bedded 70yds from me, ranged a tree at 40yds. Plan is to get to that tree without spooking him.

Proceed to let the bow down and eased down the tree. No flagging or snorts so I take that as a good sign. Wind was steady and gusty so noise wasn't a major concern. Priority was not to snap a twig. Was able to line up cover between him and I and started towards the 40yd tree.

At tree, now what?

Stood looking at everything between him and I. Another 10yds looks very doable. Got nothing to lose and 20yds is much better than 30yds. Plus, no one's going to believe this anyway.........right?

So, I find myself 21yds from antler tips. Standing, debating on the next move. I decided that I really didn't want to stand there for possibly another hour. Looking around, I spotted plan B. Squatted down and picked up a good size stick. Figured that I would throw it into some water approximately 20yds to his RIGHT. Release attached and bow settled on my leg, I proceeded to give the stick a good chunk. While in flight, left hand gripping bow, release taught and ready. Plan is when he stands I'll draw, he will "slightly" spook and move to my LEFT to a nice opening.

Kaploosh!

He goes RIGHT!?? Why would he bolt toward the noise?

He quickly side steps 10yds and stops. And of course, behind some trash. Stands looking around for maybe 30 seconds. Nervous but not too bent out of shape, he starts slipping out. He's mistake offered me a perfect 20 yard slightly quartering shot. Every bow hunters dream.

Down within 60-70 yards.

This is surely the oldest deer I've taken. I can't help but wonder how many times this guy has watched myself and other hunters walk past. This public land is a high pressure area so he did well to survive. Feel like he would not have made it through the winter. Even though SC winters are fairly mild.

All trophies are not judged by antlers. Pretty proud of this one.

19c65ee658d3d3e0f0ba9a662207993d.jpg
8d4bea5f0974deecbb01dafd76ba76c8.jpg
5ed05fbd88fe8cca06d237aac759d9cf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Congrats! I like the stick toss. What county in SC?

Wow! Almost tooflis! Great stalk!
Are you in Louisiana?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SG, I just was looking at the member map and looks like we are nearly neighbors. Cheers!

Congrats on the SC swamp buck! I've done a lot of spot and stalk hunting and have tried the "rock toss" or in your case stick toss before. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. He most likely heard the stick flying through the air and was able to pin point the general direction it came from. I've had that happen a few times.

Wow that is so cool!! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back