• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

olpux sewn eyes

twobiscuit

SH Member
So I'm very new to this saddle hunting. I now have everything I need to give it a go. I bought 2 of the oplux sewn eye ropes from wild edge inc. One for my linesman belt and one for my tree tether. I know I'm probably overthinking this, but wouldn't a knot on the oplux be better than a sewn eye? For some reason the sewn eye just doesn't seem that strong to me. Is there anything I could do to make double sure that it won't rip at the threads? Someone please say something or give their experience as to how strong those sewn eye are. Thanks Doug

So I'm very new to this saddle hunting. I now have everything I need to give it a go. I bought 2 of the oplux sewn eye ropes from wild edge inc. One for my linesman belt and one for my tree tether. I know I'm probably overthinking this, but wouldn't a knot on the oplux be better than a sewn eye? For some reason the sewn eye just doesn't seem that strong to me. Is there anything I could do to make double sure that it won't rip at the threads? Someone please say something or give their experience as to how strong those sewn eye are. Thanks Doug
The sewn eye loop are stronger than a a knot if you use a knot on any rope you reduce their strength by almost half!

Go to any tree climbing supply website, folks who climb every day for a living trust their lives to sewn eyes. Your good, it's a good question, and it shows your heads in the right place. Start low and slow with new equipment and gain your confidence in it.

Sewn eyes, done by qualified outfits, are tested to failure. If they break below the break strength of the rope, they don’t pass. A properly executed sewn eye relies on friction of the rope against itself, not the strength of the thread. The rope breaks, almost every time, directly in front of the sewn eye. This is likely because of the transition from rope that can’t stretch in the eye, to the rope that can stretch. A splice is no different. A knot is no different.

If your sewn eyes were created by a qualified supplier, who meets the certification and testing requirements, you’re more likely to kill your self than your rope is.

The sewn eye on the wild edge oplux is itself rated. I can't recall the exact amount but it's listed on the eye itself. I think it's rated to 4,500 lbs. Maybe 4,000. A knot will effectively be lower.

Sewn eyes, as mentioned, are stronger than knots. If the permanance, extra cost and the added stiff section of rope are ok...then they're a great option.

Thanks everyone. I know y'all are right. It's just hard to believe that that thread would be stronger than a knot. I guess it'll just take some using then to gain confidence. No matter how redundant youth are with everything, if that tether breaks, it's a long easy to the sudden stop at the ground.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. I know y'all are right. It's just hard to believe that that thread would be stronger than a knot. I guess it'll just take some using then to gain confidence. No matter how redundant youth are with everything, if that tether breaks, it's a long easy to the sudden stop at the ground.

The thread is not "stronger than a knot". The thread is only keeping the rope bound tight together. It is not necessarily taking the force being applied to the end of the rope. It is creating friction between the two sections of rope. It's important to understand that you're not "hanging by a thread". You're hanging by the rope, which is bound against itself, just like in a knot, or in a splice. All of which can be done improperly and kill you.

Not sure if you're coming from hunting on the ground, or in a stand. But If it's a stand, I think you need your strength expectations calibrated...

Take your oplux, and put a knot, or a sewn eye(by a certified supplier) - make ten setups. Pull on them until they break. They're going to break at somewhere north of 3000lbs of force(I'm being conservative)....every. single. time.

Take your climber, or hang on, or whatever stand you were using. Pull on the platform with 3000lbs of force and see what happens.

Should your stand ever see that much force? No, of course not. But neither should your rope. If you introduce that much force on a static tether attached to your body, you will either not live to tell us about it, or you'll be telling it from a wheelchair.

The strength of a tether built by a qualified supplier should be the last concern you have in this game. There are many other significant risks you're overlooking...

The thread is not "stronger than a knot". The thread is only keeping the rope bound tight together. It is not necessarily taking the force being applied to the end of the rope. It is creating friction between the two sections of rope. It's important to understand that you're not "hanging by a thread". You're hanging by the rope, which is bound against itself, just like in a knot, or in a splice. All of which can be done improperly and kill you.

Not sure if you're coming from hunting on the ground, or in a stand. But If it's a stand, I think you need your strength expectations calibrated...

Take your oplux, and put a knot, or a sewn eye(by a certified supplier) - make ten setups. Pull on them until they break. They're going to break at somewhere north of 3000lbs of force(I'm being conservative)....every. single. time.

Take your climber, or hang on, or whatever stand you were using. Pull on the platform with 3000lbs of force and see what happens.

Should your stand ever see that much force? No, of course not. But neither should your rope. If you introduce that much force on a static tether attached to your body, you will either not live to tell us about it, or you'll be telling it from a wheelchair.

The strength of a tether built by a qualified supplier should be the last concern you have in this game. There are many other significant risks you're overlooking...
I should be good then. As long as the oplux from wild edge is a certified supplier...

I should be good then. As long as the oplux from wild edge is a certified supplier...

The OpLux sewn eye tether/LB is factory stitched by Sterling, the company that makes the rope. The rating is stamped on the loop under the plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got my sewn eye oplux from wild edge. I know it's been said many times but it's a huge difference from the 11mm. It even goes in and out of the pouch a bunch easier. And in my opinion the sewn eyes are worth it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Back