• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

On path to 3D archery, any recommendations on cheap transitions from hunting bow?

HuumanCreed

SH Member
Hoping to try out 3D archery in the off season. Was wondering if some cheap upgrades to my hunting bow is all that is needed. This is just so I can start taking a 3D course near me. Maybe I'll upgrade to a more quality setup in the future, but for now I want to make it easy on my wallet. Right now I'm only using a short 6 in stab on my hunting bow.

Can I go cheap on stabilizers? Should I dare DIY them? What do you think of these options?

Does adjustable sidebar really matter?

Can I use my hunting sight?

Never shot a 3d league, but if I were going to I would shoot my hunting setup. If I found my sight or stabilizer lacking then I would consider upgrading but only to something I would take in the woods, simply because I wouldn't want to get reliant on a long stabilizer and back bar to give me a stable sight picture and then develop target panic because I don't hold as steady with shorter stabilizer. some may have no problem transitioning between the 2 but for me it wouldn't be worth increasing a 3d league score at the expense of confidence in my hunting setup.

Just put a longer stab on your hunting bow. I love my sidebar. It makes a huge difference when your groups matter that much. For hunting inside of 30yds its not a big deal but if your trying to hit a 12 ring i would say it helps. I like bee stinger and use a 12in/8in combo so its not too much different than my hunting setup. I cant imagine its a big difference in function for the cheaper stabs. The quality is probably not as good but for having fun i think its fine. As long as you practice a lot before season with your hunting setup i doubt a 30in stab for 3d is gonna mess you up. Ask Levi Morgan lol.

the other thing i would do is invest in some nice arrows and learn to fletch yourself if you havent already. big difference to me.

I love shooting 3d events all spring and summer. I use my hunting bow because that's what I would hunt with lol. That being said I do use a 10" front bar and a 6" back bar on my hunting bow. It does help me hold the bow more steady and cut down on my pin float.

I shoot the exact same setup I will hunt with. 3D is for practice for me I am not looking to win any prizes. I want to shoot exactly like I would in the woods.

I shoot the exact same setup I will hunt with. 3D is for practice for me I am not looking to win any prizes. I want to shoot exactly like I would in the woods.

Well my local 3D range has a bigfoot target, while it would be a dream come true, I dont think I can afford a full body mount for it.

Well my local 3D range has a bigfoot target, while it would be a dream come true, I dont think I can afford a full body mount for it.
That Bigfoot might be the only creature more elusive than a 5 year old buck,at least for me. I still practice for that chance encounter though...

Back