• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One stick handle style

Teamclark

Wondering the pros/cons of a nite ize handle vs the retractable wire style handle like what is on EWO. What are your thoughts? Any better style I missed? Obviously the wire version packs down cleaner but couldn’t you also use the note ize to pull double duty and secure your aider so it serves a purpose on the pack in?

I like the gear tie a lot better.

I bought the pull-up cable one and it was too limp... It wouldn’t even stand up with the little paracord rope.

Pull up cable works awesome for me. The gear tie tended to catch my ropes with it's rubbery texture.

I use my pull rope. It plays 4 roles. 1 to pull my bow up, 2 I take the end that I would normally attach to my saddle while climbing up and run it through the linemans loop of the saddle and the clip that end to the top of the stick. 3, it is now my handle to grab the stick while climbing up. If I was to drop the stick I don't lose it as it is attach to the pull up rope. And 4 to pull my rope down after.

I use my pull rope. It plays 4 roles. 1 to pull my bow up, 2 I take the end that I would normally attach to my saddle while climbing up and run it through the linemans loop of the saddle and the clip that end to the top of the stick. 3, it is now my handle to grab the stick while climbing up. If I was to drop the stick I don't lose it as it is attach to the pull up rope. And 4 to pull my rope down after.

Great idea….. that’s what great about forums. Sharing great ideas! I will definitely try this.

i am stealing that one

I use 2 gear ties to make a nice handle with top having a V with the extra wire so I can place my attachment rope end into it so when I pull up the step I’m able to grab the rope and unattached easier rather than try to fish for it. Just grab pull up and release from cam cleat and move up. Good luck!

On this stick I have a friction hitch cord that was too big for my taste.

I turned it into a stick puller-upper.
I also put my tree rope through the loop at the top kinda like the way @LtMoe66 does.
1489A023-5319-40BD-9804-2EFF1D46219D.png

Another thing about the retractable one, i had to drill a hole through the square cap AND the top of the stick and put a pin all the way through.
Because the very first tree I climbed with it I popped the whole thing right out of the stick...

Another thing about the retractable one, i had to drill a hole through the square cap AND the top of the stick and put a pin all the way through.
Because the very first tree I climbed with it I popped the whole thing right out of the stick...

Your top step bolt would serve the same function as that pin.

Your top step bolt would serve the same function as that pin.

Yea IF I would've taken out the top step bolt...

I tried cheating to get a longer cable and didn't tear the Muddy stick apart. (I forgot about that part) duh
That stick has a gear tie on it now anyways..
Screenshot_20210612-133549_Gallery.jpg

This is $$$

Yes, great idea. Thanks!!

When you pull the EWO wire rope handle as far as you can out of the tube, how long is it? I’d like to DIY one at the local hardware store.

When you pull the EWO wire rope handle as far as you can out of the tube, how long is it? I’d like to DIY one at the local hardware store.

They're offered in three different lengths by EWO.
You should check out his ad for them and it will probably give you an idea of how long you want to make yours...

I didn’t like that retractable wire pull rope. It was a floppy pain in the ass. I will stick with a gear tie.

I wanted a long pull handle so I took the U.P. Off and ran a 18” gear tie with the loop on it in the stick and ran the bolt through it, then ran it out the hole in the top of the U.P. That worked great for a while but after I kept bending the wire down to pack it out the wire broke in short order. I’m looking at using some big weed eater string next
.DD59DF43-8213-401E-99E2-763F5BA8364D.jpeg

Back