• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One stick help

Boomah21

SH Member
Alright so I have been practicing a bit with my one stick and srt climbing system and had a question for some of you that are more experienced with this method.

I am climbing with a shikar mini with aider

today was the first day I attempted to climb in damp conditions. The tree was about the size of a basketball in diameter (a tad smaller) bark was not smooth but far from rough, the trees here have a slight moss to them and the tree had a very faint lean (I was on the top side)

anyway I could not “dig” my toe into the tree while using the aiders like I typically can and it wanted to take me for a ride lol

is this just a side affect of climbing in these conditions with a 1 stick and aider? Is it my tree choice? Or am I just doing it wrong

just trying to find out if I need to stick with another climbing method during damp conditions

thanks

also enjoy the pics of my boy wanting to learn with me
24802C27-ECDA-479D-B624-2856C5ED8C03.jpeg8533B58F-C836-494B-8905-9457149B18FD.jpeg398A56B4-DCD7-4D35-AF46-669FB8488BCA.jpeg

What do you mean by "it wanted to take me for a ride?" i.e. you were having a tendency to swing around to the bottom side of the tree?

I've learned the hard way that gravity always wins. If im climbing or rappelling from a leaning tree, I try to stay on the bottom side of the lean. One time I thought I could rappel on the high side if I just kept both my feet on the tree, took swinging through a multiflora rose bush to learn different.

I ended upside-down using wild edge steps on a wet and mossy tree while using a swaider and lineman belt. I just slow down on wet equipment. Your setup looks like you would have enough purchase to keep your foot in the correct place. I might add a lineman rope for wet or high side climbing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I've learned the hard way that gravity always wins. If im climbing or rappelling from a leaning tree, I try to stay on the bottom side of the lean. One time I thought I could rappel on the high side if I just kept both my feet on the tree, took swinging through a multiflora rose bush to learn different.
Been there done that

Turn your foot sideways. So instead of the toe going into the tree which can easily slip off, put the inside of your foot to the tree. How I’ve dealt with icy trees here in WI. And climb on the bottom side of leaning trees and set up to the side of them.

Another thing that adds a lot of stability is use your lineman's belt and tether. It really does not slow you much using a lineman's belt but it does make you more stable. That stability adds to climbing safety and efficiency.

Another thing that adds a lot of stability is use your lineman's belt and tether. It really does not slow you much using a lineman's belt but it does make you more stable. That stability adds to climbing safety and efficiency.

I gotta disagree on this one. I don’t use or see a need for a lineman’s belt with one sticking. Your already connected to the tree via a tether and climb by grabbing steps of stick or back of the tree. Lineman’s belt would just slow ya down and gear that’s really not needed for a stream lined climbing process.

I gotta disagree on this one. I don’t use or see a need for a lineman’s belt with one sticking. Your already connected to the tree via a tether and climb by grabbing steps of stick or back of the tree. Lineman’s belt would just slow ya down and gear that’s really not needed for a stream lined climbing process.

I thought the same until I tried it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back