• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One-stick/strap-on step hybrid climbing method, anyone?

Tjraley2

Vendor Rep
Has anyone ever used strap on steps as part of a one-stick climbing method?

I envision it working like this: Hang the stick and climb up like normal. Once you're ready to move the stick up, instead of just free dangling from the tree or trying to hold yourself off the tree with your knees, you hang two strap-on steps that are on the same strap. Step onto those. Move the stick up. Climb the stick, and repeat. I don't see a way of easily moving the strap-on steps up the tree with you, so you will likely need a couple sets. Anyone ever try this?

I think it has a few advantages. 1) less bulk and lighter than carrying 3-4 sticks, 2) quicker climbing due to the stick, 3) none of the dangling-suck of one sticking.
The cons are 1) more bulk/weight than just one stick, 2) more fiddle-factor when including the steps, 3) not as easy to rappel down after the hunt if you've left steps along the tree.

What am I missing?

Im all for a little trade off if a method either increases safety or efficiency. If I understand your suggestion here, im not sure I see either. In fact, by introducing another element to the process, you might be introducing "time on target", by increasing your time on slack line. Does that make since? With one sticking, you are only on slack line ascending the stick. Then, straight back to a tight tether. Wouldnt you be introducing more time on slack line by adding the steps?

Retrieving and resetting one step was a wrasslin match for me when I tried it with an OCB strap.

Best way I’ve found to reduce # of steps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can get with my muddy pro and a three step aider 24-28 feet on 4 moves up the tree with the one stick method and the dangling procedure. Takes me about 10 minutes from the time I get to the tree and from the time I stand up on my platform. I now have the shikar mini and the 17" step that I'll use to do a two stick method and leap frog up the tree. As soon as i can get some time away from the house I'll work on it and figure it out. That way seems like a lot.

Dangling from the tree....It was a little disconcerting for me at first. Make sure you have a saddle that is easy to sit in for long periods to avoid crushing pain. :(

Im all for a little trade off if a method either increases safety or efficiency. If I understand your suggestion here, im not sure I see either. In fact, by introducing another element to the process, you might be introducing "time on target", by increasing your time on slack line. Does that make since? With one sticking, you are only on slack line ascending the stick. Then, straight back to a tight tether. Wouldnt you be introducing more time on slack line by adding the steps?

Good point about the slack line. That's definitely the sketchiest part of one-sticking.

Dangling from the tree....It was a little disconcerting for me at first. Make sure you have a saddle that is easy to sit in for long periods to avoid crushing pain. :(

I one-sticked most of last year using my Mantis. I'm thinking the "ride-up" factor of the mantis likely makes it tough for one sticking.

Back