• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One sticking. Do you use separate tethers?

arrowchukker

I for some reason, use a tether to climb and hang while in the saddle. I then switch over to a different line to rappel down at the end of the hunt. I am the only one who does this?
Feel like I am carrying extra things I could go without.

I did the same when I tried one sticking. If it was wet out/raining, I had hoped to keep my rappel line dry for the climb down.

I've considered it, but decided not to for the same reason you said. I don't want to carry extra stuff if I don't have to.

Some other folks do.

I always bring a tether and rappel rope. In the grand scheme of things are you really gonna feel that tether in your pack? Maybe so but i feel it’s worth having just in case.

I do exactly what you're describing. For a lot of reasons I prefer a short tether for climbing and hunting. Swapping to the rappel line at the end of the hunt isn't a big deal. In reality you're only carrying 7-8ft of extra rope.

I used to use just a rappel rope for everything BUT once upon a time my tag end came out of the pouch while ascending and I had quite the mess. I don’t use lights so you can imagine how being wrapped up in a freakin rope almost 30 feet in the air went. Needless to say I didn’t see anything that day and I’ve never gone into the woods without an 8’ tether since

For you two rope guys do you use the same rope say two lengths of the same stuff? Or different ropes ( say a 11.4 and an 8mm, for example)and why? I currently just use the one rope start to finish but I can see appeal in running a shorter length to climb and switching over, especially if it's accessible that second rope could be a lifesaver in an emergency.

For you two rope guys do you use the same rope say two lengths of the same stuff? Or different ropes ( say a 11.4 and an 8mm, for example)and why? I currently just use the one rope start to finish but I can see appeal in running a shorter length to climb and switching over, especially if it's accessible that second rope could be a lifesaver in an emergency.
Both ropes are 8mm for me I just like 8mm for the packability factor and find it easier to work with

I for some reason, use a tether to climb and hang while in the saddle. I then switch over to a different line to rappel down at the end of the hunt. I am the only one who does this?
Feel like I am carrying extra things I could go without.
I climb, hunt, and rappel from the same line. I borrowed @Red Beard trick of stuffing the extra line in a water bottle pouch on my hip to keep it contained. @Mschmeiske has a good consideration of having a separate rope to keep dry in the rain. I always carry a spare 8’ tether with me although I rarely use it. I figure my Canyon Elite main tether is made for the elements, so I’m not greatly worried about it getting wet. Ice could be another matter but at that point I don’t want to be in a tree.

I carry a 35ft and two 7-8ft pieces of Canyon Elite. The 35' length is my rappel line and it stays in my pouch until time to get down. I tether off of one of the shorter pieces and use the other as my lineman's (with a Ropeman 1). Once in position I connect the lineman's across my bridge loops and swap it into my tether carabiner where it becomes an adjustable bridge. I prefer a short bridge for climbing but am more comfortable sitting with a slightly longer bridge.

I carry Two 8 foot 10mm Sterling HTP static line. One is for my tether and the other is for my Lineman's rope. I like having the two 10mm ropes when climbing and at hunting height. I use all prusik hitches when on my tether and lineman's rope. I use Sampson ultra tech 30 foot 8mm for rappel with just a figure 8 when rappelling. Only takes a couple of seconds to switch from my tether to my rappel line. I have never given a second thought to just using my rappel line as a tether.

Climb with 8' 11mm teather, 6' 9mm linesman, rappel with 27' 11mm static and figure eight. I find if i only use the rappel rope to rappel I don't forget to attach the pull down rope! It suck when you rappel all the down go to pack up and realize your rappel rope is still up in the tree!

Plus I like the ability to two teather my way down in a pinch if something were to happen to the rappel rope or I drop the figure eight.

I bring a rappel rope and a tether, probably about 8' all told, up the tree with me. I can use my tether as a linesman's belt, or a redundant tether. NY Saddle Hunter has a video aimed for DRT climbers about the advantage to using a tree tether in addition to the climbing rope- the BLUF is that the best place to attach a climbing rope might not be the best place for your hunting tether, and vice versa, especially in leaning trees; so use your tether to position yourself for the hunt while your descender rope stays put.

I do everything on my 35' 8mm. If there is any reason at all I have to get down out of tree, especially medical/emergency... I want to be able to get right down. Not about pack weight, but safety.

I also climb with separate tether then use rappel rope for coming down. Not that much weight difference having a separate tether.

I use a separate tether and keep my rappel rope in my back pack. I hate roll pouches and having stuff on my saddle in general.

The argument for using just your rappel rope for a safety reason is one I never thought about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back