• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One sticking with kong duck

Ehlusive

So, I've been using a prussic and short tether to climb the tree and hang off of til its time to rapel. I have a kong laying around would it be safe to use it rather than the prussic for this? I know full body weight is in it while ascending and that is what I am concerned with.

That’s what I do when I one sticking don’t unravel my rappel line until it’s time to go I find it easier to do this and I do hang off it as I advance but I also add a prussic below the Kong with a big thick nylon washer thru my rope between the Kong and the prussic with a tender all attached to my bridge with a beaner. Easy to advance And take up rope if needed
Ps. I use a MR to rappel just use my Kong for the other

Last edited:
The Kong Duck is fine to use at hunting height (others may disagree), but DO NOT use it climbing, or any time you may have any slack in your line. If you fall with slack, the Duck may cut your rope or strip the sheath off your rope. Note that a prusik below the Duck will be useless in this situation.

The Kong Duck is fine to use at hunting height (others may disagree), but DO NOT use it climbing, or any time you may have any slack in your line. If you fall with slack, the Duck may cut your rope or strip the sheath off your rope. Note that a prusik below the Duck will be useless in this situation.

I mean the same could be said about any mechanical ascender given enough force. The ropeman 1 can cut through your rope.

I mean the same could be said about any mechanical ascender given enough force. The ropeman 1 can cut through your rope.
Yes, it's true of any mechanical ascender of that type, but the OP was asking specifically about the Kong Duck.

That’s what I do when I one sticking don’t unravel my rappel line until it’s time to go I find it easier to do this and I do hang off it as I advance but I also add a prussic below the Kong with a big thick nylon washer thru my rope between the Kong and the prussic with a tender all attached to my bridge with a beaner. Easy to advance And take up rope if needed
Ps. I use a MR to rappel just use my Kong for the other

Could you share a picture of your setup? Im curious.
Id like to see the washer mostly. Do you use it to break the prusik for down or up???

Does anyone use a 'tender' for down mode? It sounds like a good idea. It might be worth trying.

I will try to get a pic up this weekend. Mainly the washer is to keep the prussic from catching in the Kong

Back