• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

OnX color-coding options

DelaWhere_Arrow

SH Member
One of my favorite things about OnX is their color-coding options for scouting tools. So far, I’ve really only used red and blue, but I’m trying to decide on a minimalist palette for different sign or terrain features. For example, all “deer sign” right now is in red waypoints, all no-hunt zones are red boundaries with red fill-in, and all habitat features (such as bedding areas or funnels) are blued in. Does anyone have a color key they use that they wouldn’t mind sharing here? I want to get a system going that both makes sense but is easy to remember, while still providing some differentiation among my waypoints and zones.

I just started going thru and changing all mine.
Here’s what I am doing:
Onx
Trails yellow
Old stands black
Poop white
Rub green
Cameras blue
Beds pink
Scrapes brown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I first got OnX color coding wasn't yet an option. When they added the color option (and more icons) I was pumped. I'm an IPB nerd and obsess over keeping my maps, scouting notes, etc organized and detailed. I spend A LOT of time on OnX, GE, and CalTopo.

Yellow treestand Icons = pre-set trees
White treestand icons = trees I want to sit but haven't prepped
Coyote head Icon = Area-of-interest (AOI)... areas that I want to scout or check out when I go in blind
Purple coyote head icon = Primary (most promising) AOIs
Red coyote head icon = all other AOIs
Red bordered area = No-hunting zones
Blue Icons = Permanent features (parking, boat ramps, etc)
Light blue, thin dotted line = Creeks
Dark blue, heavy dashed line = Rivers
Yellow thin dashed line = Access routes
White thin line = trails not already marked on topo or not visible on aerial
Brown icons = Deer & turkey sign (rubs, scrapes, beds, etc... I use the appropriate icon)

When I'm in the field and add waypoints I just use the red default red X and then go back and change/color code them when I get home on the computer. If I want to save a track, I change it to yellow and label it so I don't confused when I start a new track in the same area.

Rambling complete....

Me and a few buddies are working toward paddling/kayaking every mile of the Rappahannock and Rapidan Rivers, from the nearest possible point to the source all the way to the Chesapeake Bay. We've broken down the rivers in to segments. Some segments are single day trips, others are overnighters and multi-day trips. I've labeled each segment on OnX and change the color of the segment once we complete it. I also used OnX to measure each segment and identify put-in and take-outs and camping spots... all of which are also labled on OnX.

When I first got OnX color coding wasn't yet an option. When they added the color option (and more icons) I was pumped. I'm an IPB nerd and obsess over keeping my maps, scouting notes, etc organized and detailed. I spend A LOT of time on OnX, GE, and CalTopo.

Yellow treestand Icons = pre-set trees
White treestand icons = trees I want to sit but haven't prepped
Coyote head Icon = Area-of-interest (AOI)... areas that I want to scout or check out when I go in blind
Purple coyote head icon = Primary (most promising) AOIs
Red coyote head icon = all other AOIs
Red bordered area = No-hunting zones
Blue Icons = Permanent features (parking, boat ramps, etc)
Light blue, thin dotted line = Creeks
Dark blue, heavy dashed line = Rivers
Yellow thin dashed line = Access routes
White thin line = trails not already marked on topo or not visible on aerial
Brown icons = Deer & turkey sign (rubs, scrapes, beds, etc... I use the appropriate icon)

When I'm in the field and add waypoints I just use the red default red X and then go back and change/color code them when I get home on the computer. If I want to save a track, I change it to yellow and label it so I don't confused when I start a new track in the same area.

Rambling complete....
That’s a freaking awesome reply! I really like your system, I feel like I can tweak some of that for my purposes for sure! Thanks man!

Me and a few buddies are working toward paddling/kayaking every mile of the Rappahannock and Rapidan Rivers, from the nearest possible point to the source all the way to the Chesapeake Bay. We've broken down the rivers in to segments. Some segments are single day trips, others are overnighters and multi-day trips. I've labeled each segment on OnX and change the color of the segment once we complete it. I also used OnX to measure each segment and identify put-in and take-outs and camping spots... all of which are also labled on OnX.
I like the idea of changing colors after your boots/boats confirm what your map-tapping guessed at. Thanks!

I've been doing something very similar for paddle trips.
We just paddled the Smith River Montana and Onx was quite helpful.
I do wish the waypoints could be custom labeled and shown ON the map.

You can custom label waypoints. Name them by clicking/tapping the “name” box as you’re saving.

Attachments

• BC72ECE5-4BD8-4945-B09C-02A73B7DB8D2.png
    BC72ECE5-4BD8-4945-B09C-02A73B7DB8D2.png
    118 KB · Views: 19
  • B2D3CB0F-F63C-4221-AC59-023842216785.png
    B2D3CB0F-F63C-4221-AC59-023842216785.png
    202.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 6B8E6742-4B55-4D7B-AC01-C3097DC70AD3.png
    6B8E6742-4B55-4D7B-AC01-C3097DC70AD3.png
    207.3 KB · Views: 19
When I used to run ScoutLook as my GPS (I absolutely thought it was the best piece of tech until I realized I could never get it running IN the woods), I would get a preview of the label over the map. It was super distracting when I couldn’t get the map features to load, or when the ad banners would also be on-screen. I do wish sometimes on OnX that I could at least see a word or two with waypoint, but my labels are overly descriptive, like “saw that doe feeding on edge, didn’t see the 500 others staged in adjacent treeline until the they snorted”.
I’ll take the OnX method.

Is there a way to put arrows in a particular direction to (specifically to indicate wind direction a buck will be using a particular bed with)?

Thx

Is there a way to put arrows in a particular direction to (specifically to indicate wind direction a buck will be using a particular bed with)?

Thx
This is a good question. I have not seen this functionality myself but they do have wind direction listed. I do like the arrow idea.

i had an issue where i color coded my pins on the computer, but on my phone the changes I made don't show up. Even with my app being up to date. i logged back on my account on the computer and the colors were still there. Anyone have this problem?

I am not as organized as you all but the number one thing I like to do is switch colors from year to year. Once you have a few years of data in a piece of public the tracks and waypoints become cluttered. I use a differnt color each year, and simply use the icons to represent what I am marking.

I am not as organized as you all but the number one thing I like to do is switch colors from year to year. Once you have a few years of data in a piece of public the tracks and waypoints become cluttered. I use a differnt color each year, and simply use the icons to represent what I am marking.
This is good for certain smaller tracts I hunt where the deer do the same things every year with minimal pressure. I could also see it helping on much bigger ones that I only hunt a small portion of each year, to triangulate historical sign.

i had an issue where i color coded my pins on the computer, but on my phone the changes I made don't show up. Even with my app being up to date. i logged back on my account on the computer and the colors were still there. Anyone have this problem?
I’m not sure I’ve used it in the field enough to answer this, but something occurring between offline/online maps or something that needs updating while you mark locations?
Vaguely meager, I know. I’m still re-learning each of my spots with OnX features every day.

Back