• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

OnX vs, HuntWise? Hunt stand etc?

dustinsitzes

Hey there. I’ve been a longtime fan of onX, but huntwise is starting to catch my eye with the different maps and options. Plus onX has been having some funky issues with location services that I dint get with google earth or HuntWise. For those of you that have had both or one or the other what are the pros and cons?

thanks in advance

I cancelled my OnX. Been doing some research myself and I am going with HuntStand or Gaia. Right now leaning towards HuntStand for the simple fact that I started using the free version before OnX came around and I have some historical data already saved with HuntStand.

I did HuntWise last year and decided not to renew, opting instead for OnX which was on sale for something like $20 for a single state. Since I cancelled HuntWise, their app has improved substantially, and it is definitely what I would recommend if you don't mind spending the extra coin. Their HuntCast feature is very useful, and they've added tons of waypoint icons to keep up with OnX. The web app for HuntWise and OnX is similar, but the HuntCast feature is what puts it over the edge for me.

I did HuntWise last year and decided not to renew, opting instead for OnX which was on sale for something like $20 for a single state. Since I cancelled HuntWise, their app has improved substantially, and it is definitely what I would recommend if you don't mind spending the extra coin. Their HuntCast feature is very useful, and they've added tons of waypoint icons to keep up with OnX. The web app for HuntWise and OnX is similar, but the HuntCast feature is what puts it over the edge for me.
Thanks man that is great info. OnX was so great for me for the last few years, it’s just been lacking recently for me. Now what to do with all my onX waypoints!! Lol

I
I cancelled my OnX. Been doing some research myself and I am going with HuntStand or Gaia. Right now leaning towards HuntStand for the simple fact that I started using the free version before OnX came around and I have some historical data already saved with HuntStand.
ill check out hunt stand and Gaia. I think I have both I’ve just never given them a chance

I

ill check out hunt stand and Gaia. I think I have both I’ve just never given them a chance
I have always found huntstand easier to use than OnX. When HuntStand went with a premium version with most if not all the features of OnX it was just a matter of letting my current OnX subscribtion run out.

I started out with OnX and then I got Huntwise.I don't even use OnX any more as their land owner info is not up to date. It shows my property that I bought 2 years ago as being owner by the person that owned it prior to the guy I bought it from. Huntwise also has some cool features that I really like. One being Huntcast but the one that blew me away was the wind drift feature. When I first subscribed I said no way was that going to be accurate but after using it for a season I have found it to be pretty much right on the money.

I have been using HuntStand for long time and like it a lot. I use the Hunt Zone to help me decide where I am going to hunt based on the wind. I always used the free version, but I have been paying for it over the last few years and the extra features are nice. I have not use OnX so no comment. I did not like Huntwise so I deleted the app.

I used Onx and had trouble with it freezing/very slow. I tried GAIAgps and all my waypoints were imported fine. GAIAgps has a free 6 month premium membership which I have until March. I love the integral compass in GAIAgps. The direction I am pointing is my direction of travel.

I was scouting on Thankgiving and logging way points in thick woods. I was backing out and double backing on my trail. I get to the main trail but im kinda confused. The locator icon has be about 400 yards from the trail. It wasn't until a couple of minutes later did it lock on.

When this happened I checked google maps and it had me where I was actually at. Im betting all the scrapes and rubs are not going to be accurate, same with trees I tried to log to saddle hunt at.

The other issue is when you log a way point, you have to make sure you hit the location Icon otherwise it will not save the waypoint where you are standing. I also had a bunch of pictures just disappear. I will have to check out some other apps. Really want to like the software but may backup all my waypoiny with my inreach at some point.

I will see tomorrow how close it is to my hunt spot. Hopefully they fix some of the issues.

I was scouting on Thankgiving and logging way points in thick woods. I was backing out and double backing on my trail. I get to the main trail but im kinda confused. The locator icon has be about 400 yards from the trail. It wasn't until a couple of minutes later did it lock on.

When this happened I checked google maps and it had me where I was actually at. Im betting all the scrapes and rubs are not going to be accurate, same with trees I tried to log to saddle hunt at.

The other issue is when you log a way point, you have to make sure you hit the location Icon otherwise it will not save the waypoint where you are standing. I also had a bunch of pictures just disappear. I will have to check out some other apps. Really want to like the software but may backup all my waypoiny with my inreach at some point.

I will see tomorrow how close it is to my hunt spot. Hopefully they fix some of the issues.
What app are you using?

I have both HuntStand and Gaia. The scouting tools, icons, property lines, & weather are all good in HuntStand, but the offline maps are horrible. The mapping in Gaia is fantastic, especially adding extra overlays in the order and transparency level I want. The offline maps are also first rate in Gaia, but the icons and everything needed for scouting is sorely lacking.

I wish I was a headlight on a north-bound train

I have these same exact issues with OnX and it is strongly making me consider letting my OnX subscription expire. Not sure why the OnX gps is so wacky but there are times where I will be standing still and my location will vary by 30-40 yards in any direction. Not ideal when trying to find a small trail walking out in the dark.

Can’t anyone speak to Huntstands GPS accuracy?

Gaia is the best in my opinion. I have or have had memberships with all three. The only one I keep is Gaia. The offline maps are better and the entire interface is more user friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I started using huntstand this season, no experience with any other apps. The gps seems to be fairly accurate, but there is a lag and at times sitting I noticed a slight variance in where it said I was. I marked my location on the first sit at a spot, and when I returned a different day it was pretty spot on showing me there when I got there. Same with the compass direction you're facing, there is a lag...like it refreshes in intervals rather than constantly.

If I had the app running and turned off my screen while walking, when I would check the app again there was a noticible delay before it located me. It did this as I was logging my trail I walked too, but once it caught up it showed everything accurately.

Google maps on the other hand seemed to be immediate and much more accurate for both position and direction. Which to me is weird...they're using the same GPS in my phone

Long time user of OnX but recently stumbled onto Basemaps, It has a ton of great features. At least for now the free version has me interested enough to keep fiddling with it. Not much experience with Huntwise but have heard good things.

Back