• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Onyx

Ryanp1212

Seen couple posts guys asking for help starting out or new public ground. The hunting public just started an onyx series of videos and promo code for 20% off THP is the code. Lots good public ground scouting videos and series on onyx for guys getting started and/or looking into onyx

I used the THP code after watching those videos and doing the 7-day trial, and it worked beautifully. Can’t beat unfettered access information for $24/year.
Btw, I think the code is case-sensitive, so make sure to use capitals.

There is much better than onx. It sucks

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

There is much better than onx. It sucks

I’m not one to deny someone an opinion, but I’d like to know which app you use that’s better than OnX. This seems like a pretty heavy declaration without giving reasons or alternatives. Just saying “it sucks there’s better” doesn’t help anyone who wants to find better. I have been through at least a half-dozen hunting-specific mapping apps, and OnX is by far the best I’ve encountered. What do you use that you like better, and what has made OnX your nemesis?

I’m not one to deny someone an opinion, but I’d like to know which app you use that’s better than OnX. This seems like a pretty heavy declaration without giving reasons or alternatives. Just saying “it sucks there’s better” doesn’t help anyone who wants to find better. I have been through at least a half-dozen hunting-specific mapping apps, and OnX is by far the best I’ve encountered. What do you use that you like better, and what has made OnX your nemesis?
I used onx here at home and while in iowA for 2 weeks. The boundaries have been off the topo was off the contour wasnt very clear or specific as others either. Only benefit it actually gave me was trails in Iowa. Also you got to download maps for being out of service. That is horrible. These other apps u can roll in airplane mode. That's huge in my opinion. Also 24$ yearly subscription these others you buy once and it's yours no renewing either.

I've ran the gaia app on my old iPhone till 3 weeks ago and i now got a android. I've got using backcountry navigator now and it seems pretty awesome. Onx has been the bottom of the barrel for us here around home in the mountains trudging public. Everyone agrees contour sucks boundaries are off awful bad and points you make will be way off when you try to return back.

Last edited:
I used onx here at home and while in iowA for 2 weeks. The boundaries have been off the topo was off the contour wasnt very clear or specific as others either. Only benefit it actually gave me was trails in Iowa. Also you got to download maps for being out of service. That is horrible. These other apps u can roll in airplane mode. That's huge in my opinion. Also 24$ yearly subscription these others you buy once and it's yours no renewing either.

I've ran the gaia app on my old iPhone till 3 weeks ago and i now got a android. I've got using backcountry navigator now and it seems pretty awesome. Onx has been the bottom of the barrel for us here around home in the mountains trudging public. Everyone agrees contour sucks boundaries are off awful bad and points you make will be way off when you try to return back.

Man I’ve had nothing but the opposite experience in the mountains in western md & turkeys in Missouri. I download maps so I’m not crushing battery. Other than that no issues with boundaries or contours I’ve noticed. I wonder if it’s different by region......

Man I’ve had nothing but the opposite experience in the mountains in western md & turkeys in Missouri. I download maps so I’m not crushing battery. Other than that no issues with boundaries or contours I’ve noticed. I wonder if it’s different by region......
Possibly so. I went and pulled cams 2 weeks ago with a buddy who was all.bout onx last season he said he stopped using it specifically for what I stated.

May be different by elevation or something too. Idk what elevation you got but we are 2700-6000' pending where hunt

Also thinking back I think everyone was having issues I remember reading about it on rokslide too. Maybe I just didnt give it a fair shake after they done the updates on it that everyone was troubled with but it left me sour

Apologies OP for blatantly saying it sucks. I may in the wrong here as I think.i cut ties before the upgrade or update but im.not renewing every year when can buy once for the same 1 time and cheaper

Last edited:
Literally just now
ca10838cde3bd6d6bac7add9bea54e96.jpg

I'm in illinois our mountains are ravines lol. I've only used huntstand and it doesn't compare. I just seen couple posts about it lately and thought I'd share

I'm in illinois our mountains are ravines lol. I've only used huntstand and it doesn't compare. I just seen couple posts about it lately and thought I'd share
Sounds good sorry for the rant haha

I have had nothing but positive experience with OnX. I’m not saying you’re wrong, I just haven’t heard of any experience this negative with it yet. You should listen to this episode of MeatEater: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-meateater-podcast/id960902903?i=1000422345488
First off, it’s just a great podcast. Second, they do address that some states with certain rural sections or under-recorded/unreleased property data may not have those specific sections available in detail on OnX, but that they’re likely the ones with the MOST updated version of that state.
Third, If I remember correctly, they allude that OnX has superior boundary and elevation mapping to even some of the Fish & Game/government departments, and that some published boundaries on other maps and what some people thought was their private land have actually been proven false by OnX’s mapping triangulation and Platte data. One example they gave was if someone put a fence up on what they thought was their property line, but discovered it was off by X yards or feet because of OnX’s superior updating of property data. I not going to misquote or misinterpret, you should listen for yourself. May not change your mind, but I found it useful as I started teaching myself the app.

I’ve used OnX here in Western NY for a few years and it has worked flawlessly for me.

I have the Onx app and the Gaia app and I never use the Onx app. Gaia is superior in every way possible if you ask me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer Gaia for economic reasons. Whole country, premium access for $36/year beats OnX in my wallet.

Search the forums here, I've posted a huuuge free trial period offer for Gaia in another thread. Another thing I disliked about OnX was it's time limited trial, when I wasn't able to get to the woods much because of work travel.

But to anyone who has neither, CalTopo's free version does a lot for you, short of private property owner info. Use it side by side with Google Earth pro and it'll cover public land pretty well, except not being mobile.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back