• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

OOAL Big B.O.B.?

KitShickers

Curious of what people think of this platform. I havent seen many posts about it, or maybe Im an idiot with the search function. Seems like a killer setup.

Last edited:
I purchased one this summer. First season for me to use a one-stick setup, & fairly novice SH. Between practice climbs & the few hunts I have with it, I would say it is a very solid piece of equipment. From all the reviews I've read, OOAL makes very quality saddle gear, & I would say the Big Bob is no different. I haven't even "needed" to cam the top platform to the tree because it bites so well. Cam it, & it takes a good bit of force to unseat it at the end of the hunt.

OOAL in general makes quality gear. I use a Shikar mini with angled Monarch on top and it’s rock solid, I can’t imagine the big Bob would be any less impressive.

Not counting practice climbs, I've hunted 15-18 times with mine, and its great. About half the time I offset my platform for some extra real estate, but for shorter hangs (about 2 hours) I just use the top platform. I'll probably invest in a ROS and leave the extra platform in the Jeep. About the only time I've camed it over is after adjusting the platform angle, and as BigLurch_75 said, it's really attached to the tree.

Glad to hear that you like it. I'm excited to see mine when it comes. Thanks for sharing your experience with the group.

One of my better purchases. I never thought I’d like an angled platform, but this stick/platform gave me the chance to try it and realize how comfortable it can be.

Bought it. Looks like about 6-8 weeks out. Buddy bought one 5 weeks ago and still waiting. When he hets it we will try it out and report back.

Hey y’all - got my bob last week. Spent 9 hours on it so far. I love the product. Very well made, great climbing stick! My only squawk so far is the pull up wire loop gets hung up on the cleat mounting nuts inside the tube, it only presents a problem when you try to collapse the loop back inside the tube. I might fashion a piece of plastic to cap the nuts and prevent the loop from
Snagging on the way in. The teeth are sharper than I’ve seen on any other stick. Very happy overall, my wait was 4 weeks from 11/28

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
21ea9916846b7901cbc7e85b93441cf7.jpg

Last edited:
Hey y’all - got my bob last week. Spent 9 hours on it so far. I love the product. Very well made, great climbing stick! My only squawk so far is the pull up wire loop gets hung up on the cleat mounting nuts inside the tube, it only presents a problem when you try to collapse the loop back inside the tube. I might fashion a piece of plastic to cap the nuts and prevent the loop from
Snagging on the way in. The teeth are sharper than I’ve seen on any other stick. Very happy overall, my wait was 4 weeks from 11/28

i moved the rope between the mounting nuts and the pull-up wire. When I go to put the wire down I just make sure that I do it before I cinch it down to the tree on my last move.

You have to watch those teeth on the stand off’s. If you’re not careful they’ll cut you or your pack. I get worried if I get my ropes to close to them:)

I’ve done a few climbs with mine and one sit. I did a paracord wrap on the front only and it’s been really great. I went with the ⅛ full burry and it’s very skinny but works amazing UNTIL you try and release it from above. The small amsteel is so far in there you really have to pop that sucker out to get the rope to come free.

Also, I want to make something the hold the rope on the cable top for when I move up. Sometimes I forget to throw it over the platform and have to go down and get it. That said when I do remember and try to release the rope from the harken cleat sometimes it’s very hard to get it out of there. Anyone else have issues with that?

The Big Bob is my first stick - just got into saddle hunting after watching deer avoid my tree stands for the last 3 months! I opted for the 3/16 full bury amsteel - no issues - I feel like it’s a little on the heavy side but after hearing your comments about the 1/8 I guess it wasn’t a bad decision after all - good hunting!!

The Big Bob is my first stick - just got into saddle hunting after watching deer avoid my tree stands for the last 3 months! I opted for the 3/16 full bury amsteel - no issues - I feel like it’s a little on the heavy side but after hearing your comments about the 1/8 I guess it wasn’t a bad decision after all - good hunting!!

Well it is a nice small and light rope but it’s gonna take some getting used to.

Well it is a nice small and light rope but it’s gonna take some getting used to.

I wrap paracord once around the stick in between the jaws of the cam cleat. It will still hold the amsteel but won’t let the jaws pivot into a lock position. I don’t tie the paracord, but rather hook it with a small zip tie. Snip the zip tie’s tag end as close as you can get so that it won’t snag on the amsteel. The cam cleat should then release the the amsteel pretty easy, and it takes care of the noise the cleat makes when the rope pops out.

I wrap paracord once around the stick in between the jaws of the cam cleat. It will still hold the amsteel but won’t let the jaws pivot into a lock position. I don’t tie the paracord, but rather hook it with a small zip tie. Snip the zip tie’s tag end as close as you can get so that it won’t snag on the amsteel. The cam cleat should then release the the amsteel pretty easy, and it takes care of the noise the cleat makes when the rope pops out.
I’ve heard about this with hair ties and paracord pieces as well. Maybe I’ll give something like that a try if I can’t figure out there release.

21ea9916846b7901cbc7e85b93441cf7.jpg

Just put a zip tie thru the hole, just beneath the cleat, & thru the pull up cable. This will keep the pull up cable from going high enough to hang on the bolt. Snug the zip tie, don't tighten it all the way down. Did this to mine, & I've not had an issue with the cable since.

Back