• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Oplux alternative. Any comments about this rope.

Nice variety of colors. I'd have to feel it & see how it handles. Having a poly cover may make it as stiff as HTP.

Either way, interesting rope.

KM III is an highly static rope that is perfectly suited for rappelling, caving, rescue or top roping. Also fixed rope applications, hauling and lifting systems, and life safety applications can be well covered by KM III – a true jack-of-all-trades. In climbing, KM III is the right choice when it comes to hauling equipment in big walls or rappelling in climbing photography.

The polyester cover of KM III is balanced with a polyamide (Nylon) core to limit rotation, bouncing, and stretch. Our KM III, is NFPA and CE certified. Thirty-two bobbins produce the right cover for the unique demands required of this static rope and the optimum cover/core ratio. This creates an incredibly smooth cover with higher tensile strengths, and superior handling characteristics.

Features"

32-strand cover offers perfect sheath/core ratio
Polyester cover with nylon core
Balanced, torque-free construction
Great hand and superior knot holding characteristics
Tight and abrasion resistant cover
Excellent protection against UV-light

KM-III (Static Rope) Kernmantle - Polyester Sheath, Nylon Core

USA
$136.06CAD/ 150' Hank Price
Per Foot: $0.91
DIAMETER:
5/16" - 6350 lbs
(rope diameter - break strength)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Nice variety of colors. I'd have to feel it & see how it handles. Having a poly cover may make it as stiff as HTP.

Either way, interesting rope.

The price is less than half Oplux

It sounds like it is just as good as oplux, the only question I see is will it pack as nicely.

Either way it's an interesting find thanks for sharing

Anyone try this out yet?

This was the hotness before oplux. I'm using it now. G2 and others have posts on it from back in the day.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It sounds like it is just as good as oplux, the only question I see is will it pack as nicely.

Either way it's an interesting find thanks for sharing

I doubt it will pack quite as well but better than 9mm

This was the hotness before oplux. I'm using it now. G2 and others have posts on it from back in the day.

I did not know that. Why not now

I have some of that 5/16 ultra-tech. It seems fine. When I tie a figure 8 or other knots, they seem to loosen up far easier. Some may feel that is a benefit, not sure I feel that way. I haven't used it much yet. Sterling TRC on the contrary is very difficult to untie the knots once loaded... I know they are different sizes. Oplux is kind of in between the two I mentioned and still my favorite.

I did not know that. Why not now

Ultra tech is kind of a stiff rope and oplux is not as much (I don't have oplux, I'm going by pictures and descriptions). Meaning oplux would pack a little easier into a small space.
When it came time to tie on a quick link, I found a figure 8 tough to make small or tight and ended up using a poachers knot.

Oplux has a natural camo color while ultra tech is a green+maroon or bright red. I decided this doesn't matter to me when I found it for 1.28/foot at knotandrope

I have low level rappelled with ultra tech using an ATC and hollow block and compared to HTP I find it workable but very noticeably smaller. I kind of had to feed the HTP up to the ATC to get it to move which was tedious but reassuring. The ultra tech requires a deliberate pull on the down side of the ATC or it feeds very willingly when weighted. UT needed more wraps to make a kleimheist auto block hold me (i.e. for removing a platform hands free during descent).

A 13" hollow block kleimhest left just a little slack for hooking a carabineer on the HTP (it lengthened when weighted) but it held steady. The same config on UT doesn't grip as well. I've bought a 19" hollow block to try with the UT to see if more wraps make a better auto block. Using the 13" as a prussik tether connection on the UT works well, but that's not a knot you'd use for rappelling.

I'm not unhappy or concerned with it, and I'm in the 280lb range fully geared. Especially for the lower than oplux cost.

(Edit, I typed HTC, meant HTP.)

Last edited:
The original question was about 8 mm KM111. Which is 0.91 can. Or .63 US per foot.
Way cheaper than Oplux or ultra tech

The original question was about 8 mm KM111. Which is 0.91 can. Or .63 US per foot.
Way cheaper than Oplux or ultra tech

It's just so... White. If only it came in subalpine. ;). Jk. I might get some of that black.

Other than that, nice find. I'd definitely give it a shot

Edit... Oh, maybe just me on my phone, but looks like black is only in the larger size.

Last edited:
There is a supply of black. Harder to get. White is easier to get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's just so... White. If only it came in subalpine. ;). Jk. I might get some of that black.

Other than that, nice find. I'd definitely give it a shot

Edit... Oh, maybe just me on my phone, but looks like black is only in the larger size.

FYI

Back