• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Oplux and Beal jammy (NO KONG DUCK) question

sojourner

SH Member
I run 11mm Cord and 8mm prusik cord using a distel hitch with tender.

Used ropemans in the past, Never again!
And I will not use a kong duck. Never!

It looks like if I want to run 8mm oplux and no mechanical ascender, I.e., a tender, the only high strength option I see for prusik cordage is a Beal jammy. With that (since it is sewn), I cannot use a distel hitch.

The only other hitch I can think of is a klemheist. Has anyone run oplux/jammy/klemheist and tender? If so, what was your experience?

Any other EXPERIENCED climbers out there have any other recommendations for other prusik cordage or other friction hitch to use or to use the klemheist?

Thanks!

And please don’t recommend kong duck or any other mechanical ascender device. They are outside the parameters for the solution I am seeking.

What I did was get a jammy and cut it. Then tied it directly to my biner. After that I tied it into a Blake’s hitch on my oplux

Sterling, Ocean, Bee-line and a few others make eye to eye sewn or spliced prusik hitches. I have only found them in 8mm and up. I prefer distel hitches as well.

Tree stuff has a few 8mm prusik cords:

Thanks everyone!

Looks like getting the Beal jammy and cutting it and using a distel will be the way I go.

Thanks again!

Thanks guys!! Was just trying a kleimheist

It looks like if I want to run 8mm oplux and no mechanical ascender, I.e., a tender, the only high strength option I see for prusik cordage is a Beal jammy. With that (since it is sewn), I cannot use a distel hitch.

The only other hitch I can think of is a klemheist. Has anyone run oplux/jammy/klemheist and tender? If so, what was your experience?

Any other EXPERIENCED climbers out there have any other recommendations for other prusik cordage or other friction hitch to use or to use the klemheist?

Thanks!

And please don’t recommend kong duck or any other mechanical ascender device. They are outside the parameters for the solution I am seeking.
Thanks, was tying a klemheist with my Jammie this am, and could only get 6 wraps (not the eight in the animated knots video) and didn't like it. Went back to a prusik. But like the idea of cutting it and tying a full klemheist or something else.

What about Teufelburger Tech Cord in 5mm diameter? I saw where someone had mentioned using this with 8mm Oplux in a prussik or distel hitch manner. It has a min breaking strength of 4700lbs.

Hope this is a viable option because i ordered some to use with my Oplux. Speak up if someone sees an issue i overlooked.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Why not just use a prussik, I am just curious since I just ordered 8mm oplex, and a Jammy and plan on running a prussik with a tender for my tether. I wanted to make sure I am not missing something.

Why not just use a prussik, I am just curious since I just ordered 8mm oplex, and a Jammy and plan on running a prussik with a tender for my tether. I wanted to make sure I am not missing something.
I believe that under an extended “loaded” state, the prusik can sometimes bind to the point where convenient one hand adjustments are difficult to make. The other knots the gents are mentioning release from the main rope more easily, if I follow them correctly.

I forgot to add if you want to cut the jammy and use a ditsel hitch to buy the longest jammy they make so you have enough for tying. They make 3 different lengths.

Exactly. the other knots (distel, klemheist) seem to play better with various cord diameters/materials that the prusik. JMOH
I believe that under an extended “loaded” state, the prusik can sometimes bind to the point where convenient one hand adjustments are difficult to make. The other knots the gents are mentioning release from the main rope more easily, if I follow them correctly.

Thanks!

Just out of curiosity why don’t you like the Kong duck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot to add if you want to cut the jammy and use a ditsel hitch to buy the longest jammy they make so you have enough for tying. They make 3 different lengths.

Thanks Squirrels. That is my plan.

Just out of curiosity why don’t you like the Kong duck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not like mechanical devices on my ropes. Ages ago, I was the first person to bring up the low rating on the ropeman. I ran a ropeman for a few seasons before that. Then it came out that they could cause damage to the core of the rope. Plus it was not made for what we are using it for.

In looking at the duck, it seems somewhat similar. I could not find a weight rating for it. Plus, I don’t think the creators created it for our usage.

We are spending time climbing in and sitting in trees. The closest to that are arborists. I think we should follow their lead in safe tools to use. They do not use ropemans or the like. The do use different auto lock/friction hitches with hitch tenders, like the shizll. Hitch tenders are easy to DIY, they are not life supporting, so no issue there. One can easily buy shizll’s if they do not want to DIY,see user @bigjoe.

The only cost of using a tender is not using a prusik hitch, but using something like a distel hitch (for ease of use with a tender).

IMO, Most newer people think that a prusik is the only friction hitch and the only alternative is a ropeman. That is not the situation.

There has beeen disagreement on this issue. One point the other side has is that we should not have much slack in our lines. That is great, but does it always happen? Will Mr. Murphy come knocking at an inopportune time? Who knows. But for me, I want to minimize anything I see as a manageable risk.

Well, that is a little more than my 0.02, but that is how I feel about the topic. I would encourage everyone to do their research on both and make a decision based on their logic, reason and risk calculations.

I have run a klemheist as well as prusik and I always go back to prusik. I’ve never had a prusik bind up past the point of being able to unload it, although I understand it’s a present possibility. IMO the Klemheist is just messy when loaded, so I prefer it as an autoblock hitch rather than my main hitch. Also, the ability to load and unload a prusik in both directions far outweighs the slightly more friendly glide of the more directional klemheist for my personal use. Prusik stays dressed better, and on my tether at least, I consider a bit of extra tension on the hitch to be something of a safety feature.

Back