• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

OpLux with friction hitch options

weekender21

SH Member
Thanks to @DanO for the fast shipping!

I thought some of you might benefit from seeing a few pictures with various friction hitches and several material options on Sterling OpLux. All can be purchased at doublesteps.com

First, 6mm TRC (Schwabisch and Distel)

32f6065508cc890470f66741578a9491.jpg

d9e2df9951137e71dc904e87a5a427f3.jpg

This is 5.5mm Beal Kevlar cordelette (Schwabisch and Distel)

fd0e64e9e43ad26a66849b4e945c2e2f.jpg

d65530f3c2b87c19bfa4c1c0894963ce.jpg

Last, 35cm Beal Jammy (Prusik)

c2936553056c9e90adb147fd1fb604da.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't have oplux yet, and I haven't tested TRC yet, but for those interested in how much size you can save relative to other options...
Here's the beal cord (and grivel plume twin gate (do not use a regular wiregate) from @DanO) next to 7mm sterling cord, both on 9mm htp, with minikong tender. The space savings is remarkable.

I really should have put it next to my autolocker on aerohunter predator combo too...

In quick tests it grabs well and releases adequately - even on 9mm rope. And if course packs super well.
20191018_172236~01.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, space savings with the OpLux is impressive.

I ended up using 3’ of Beal 5.5mm cord and 3.5’ of the Sterling 6mm TRC for the friction hitches. The poacher knots take up a significant amount of rope.

Both the Beal 5.5mm cord and Sterling 6mm TRC work great and are easily tended. I don’t have a preference at the moment. I’ll probably use both this season.

f10cb0a113295a83456bb1e12824296d.jpg

558e42c33d27d2e3601091b9ce46cc77.jpg

So the Beal Kevlar 5.5 cordelette is same material as jammy? Is that correct DanO? If so, I will be ordering to replace my cut jammy’s. I like the black color.

Thanks for sharing the pics @weekender21. Have you had a chance to try them out and which do you prefer? Also how much cord does it take to make those two friction hitches?

I messed with both and can’t say I have a real preference at this point. Both the TRC and the Beal cord work well with OpLux. Both performed great as a Distel or Schwabisch hitch.

Even the jammy sewn Prusik tends well for me on the OpLux so really just a matter of personal preference.

I used slightly more rope with the Sterling TRC, it’s not much bigger but the difference is noticeable when tying the poacher knots.

Beal 5.5mm cordelette; I used 3’

Sterling 6mm TRC; I used 3.5’

I used 4’ of TRC and so I threw in an extra wrap on each poachers. I use HTP 9mm tether.

I’m pretty much sold on the hitch versus the Kong Duck.

Are you using a tender on your tether with all or only certain ones, or none?
I don't use a tender on my tether. I probably would if I was 1 sticking or similar, but when adjusting while hanging I prefer to move the hitch directly by hand.

Are you using a tender on your tether with all or only certain ones, or none?

I’m definitely using a tender on my LB. I’m on the fence with using one on my tether or not. They work well but a little less necessary on the tether in my opinion.

I’ve messed around with several of the popular trinket tenders but DanO’s plastic D ring works great, has no metal, is lightweight and quiet. So that’s what I’m currently using on my LB and tether.

I ordered 8’ of TRC from Dano and it was plenty for two distel hitch setups with mini kong tenders & poacher knots (plus 2” tails). I’d imagine 3.5’ per distel hitch would definitely work and could likely be trimmed down but better too much than too little.

ease of use is as good or better than a RM. I am also sold on this upgrade.

I don't have oplux yet, and I haven't tested TRC yet, but for those interested in how much size you can save relative to other options...
Here's the beal cord (and grivel plume from @DanO) next to 7mm sterling cord, both on 9mm htp, with minikong tender. The space savings is remarkable.

I really should have put it next to my autolocker on aerohunter predator combo too...

In quick tests it grabs well and releases adequately - even on 9mm rope. And if course packs super well.
View attachment 18778
No locking biner eh? Is that for your LB? Tempting.

No locking biner eh? Is that for your LB? Tempting.
Please don't be tempted by a nonlocking biner.

This is a twin-gate (i.e. basically an autolocker).

Back