• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Optimizing pin spacing for hunting

What are your pins set at?

Votes: 11 40.7%

Votes: 4 14.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adjustable single pin

Votes: 12 44.4%

• Total voters

Hunter260

This year I’m going back to a fixed multi pin sight from a single pin adjustable sight for a few reasons. I don’t shoot any 3D anymore and find myself shooting 50 and under in my yard mostly and I’m just trying to simplify my setup in general now. After years of setting my bow up for 20,30,40.... yards this year I’m going to try 15,25,35,45,55. I didn’t invent this idea a buddy gave it to me and I think he saw it on a YouTube video.

I think this setup makes sense for a few reasons.First, I shoot heavy arrows (650 grains) and my point of impact when shooting a pin zeroed at 20 yards at 10 yields a group that is a few inches high. While a 15 yard zero leaves my 10 yard group less than an inch high. Being that I set up for shots 20 yards and less, I feel it makes me more accurate for those 10-15 yards shots that are hopefully plentiful this season. Second, I found my pin gaps were more evenly spaced with this setup and when I shot at in between distances I was more accurate.

So my question to everyone is what set up are you using?

I can see the benefit of the single pin at speeds above 260, I’m runnin about 240 and last season used a single pin set at 25. I hit 2 deer a little higher than I would have liked, one at about 16 yards and the other one like 5 yards from the tree. Now, I know this wasn’t the bows fault or the sights fault and all mine, but for my second buck last year I thought I could cheat the system so I dialed the sight down to 15 yards. I expected the deer to cross at 15 and he did but caught me drawing and ran back to about 25 and turned broadside. I had to shoot him with a little Kentucky windage, but hopefully this multi pin can fix that.

I picked up a Spot Hogg 2 pin slider. 2 vertical pins means a pretty clean sight picture, and there's a double pointer that shows what each pin corresponds to. My plan is to set it so that the bottom pin is set to 30, which with my setup means the top pin is set to 18, which should cover the range I intend to hunt in. I just need to remember to set it there since I practice at further distances.

I picked up a Spot Hogg 2 pin slider. 2 vertical pins means a pretty clean sight picture, and there's a double pointer that shows what each pin corresponds to. My plan is to set it so that the bottom pin is set to 30, which with my setup means the top pin is set to 18, which should cover the range I intend to hunt in. I just need to remember to set it there since I practice at further distances.

I was just looking at this same setup. Seems slick. How do you like it so far?
I think I’m switching to this after this season.

Sent from parts unknown

3 pin Trophy Ridge Hotwire. Fixed pins set at 15 & 30. Floater set at 40 with tape marked to 60. (Anything shots beyond 40 will be at practice targets just for fun.)

I was just looking at this same setup. Seems slick. How do you like it so far?
I think I’m switching to this after this season.

Sent from parts unknown

I really like it. I really like the idea of multiple vertical pins. It keeps the sight picture clean (though some people have issues gapping the pins), and on the firearms side of things, I shoot MP5/G3 style diopter sights a lot, so a vertical post in a round housing is a familiar sight picture to me.

I had a Trophy Ridge Peak before, but I ran into 2 problems. First was, it wasn't the quality I was hoping for.The glow ring was peeling off, one of the pins didn't look quite in line with all the others. Second, there were too many pins to choose from. When it came time to choose a replacement sight, Trophy Ridge's React V5 wouldn't work for me because of the 250FPS minimum (I wouldn't meet it, even with a light 390gr arrow). That pushed me to the Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg and I'm glad it did.

It's been rock solid, feels like a quality piece. You need to be able to shoot at 20 and 60 to pick the stock calibration tape. A bit tricky for me, since my usual range only goes to 50, but I did manage to find a place to do it. Though I ended up making my own tape anyways. I originally wanted the Fast Eddie, but the shop only had the Tommy Hogg.

I really like it. I really like the idea of multiple vertical pins. It keeps the sight picture clean (though some people have issues gapping the pins), and on the firearms side of things, I shoot MP5/G3 style diopter sights a lot, so a vertical post in a round housing is a familiar sight picture to me.

I had a Trophy Ridge Peak before, but I ran into 2 problems. First was, it wasn't the quality I was hoping for.The glow ring was peeling off, one of the pins didn't look quite in line with all the others. Second, there were too many pins to choose from. When it came time to choose a replacement sight, Trophy Ridge's React V5 wouldn't work for me because of the 250FPS minimum (I wouldn't meet it, even with a light 390gr arrow). That pushed me to the Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg and I'm glad it did.

It's been rock solid, feels like a quality piece. You need to be able to shoot at 20 and 60 to pick the stock calibration tape. A bit tricky for me, since my usual range only goes to 50, but I did manage to find a place to do it. Though I ended up making my own tape anyways. I originally wanted the Fast Eddie, but the shop only had the Tommy Hogg.

Thanks for the feed back, I’ll probably go with a fast Eddie next year. I got the iq pro hunter and like it a lot. I just roll the floater down to the bottom so I just have my 20 & 30 pin there but I think I’d like the vertical pin more.
Did you go with the single ring or double ring on the outside? The double ring looks huge, idk if I’d like it.

Sent from parts unknown

I am with @Jwiggins762 . Single pin set at 26 covers my hunting range from 1 to 32 yds. I just switched to single pin this year and love the sight picture.

Thanks for the feed back, I’ll probably go with a fast Eddie next year. I got the iq pro hunter and like it a lot. I just roll the floater down to the bottom so I just have my 20 & 30 pin there but I think I’d like the vertical pin more.
Did you go with the single ring or double ring on the outside? The double ring looks huge, idk if I’d like it.

Sent from parts unknown

I'm using the multi ring, but the sight comes with both - you can just thread in the one you want. From what I understand, it's designed so that your peep surrounds the inside rings when it's bright out, and as your eye dilates in darker environments., the outer rings are visible and you use those for peep alignment. I haven't shot enough in the dark to see if it works, and my peep is a bit out of alignment. I used a Specialty Archery peep that lets you put in different apertures to better surround the sight housing.

HHA single pin set at 20. Hunt 20 yards max. Been doing it this way for 25 years so don't worry about shots inside that.
This year I'll hunt with my recurve instinctive and will limit myself to 15 yards max.

It is my opinion that your arrows being so heavy and killing your trajectory are causing your problems.Lots of these guys building these ultra heavy arrow set ups will be moving away from them before the coming season is done.Been there Done that Got the T shirt.

Back