• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Orchard help???

Mattyq2402

What's your go to nursery and tree for fall hunting? I have room for about 5-7 more trees. I'll likely order next fall, just trying to get ideas.

Currently I have 3 whitney crabs, 5 kieffer pear, and two Chinese chesnutts.

Just ordered three persimmon with varying drop, and two Dr. Deer pear. Looking for 5 to 7 more.

Also for those of you who plant orchards, what kind of formation of trees do you do, just the corners? Length of the field, staggered trees???

What zone are you in?

I liked Ed Fort, but they are no longer in business.
Hallman Farms still offers some Fort varieties.

I've bought trees from The Wildlife Group. They have a good variety.

I just heard about Blue Hill Wildlife Nursery. I have not ordered from them but I intend to get some other pear varieties when they have them in stock. They offer some very late dropping pears. Late mast is good when every other trees are long empty of food.

My opinion...
I love having pears of differing drop times, and some with later flowering times to guard against later frosts.
I'm not crazy about apple trees. But we already have a ton of apples in back yards and wild trees, so apples are not hard to come by for deer around here. Apples are everywhere here.
Dolgo crabs are one of my favorites. Dependable fruit and great for pollinating other apples. A few Dolgos will help wild apple trees bear more fruit.

My Dwarf Chinkapin Oaks are just starting to bear acorns. I look forward to having them mature.

I have a few chinese sequin (kinda like a small chestnut) they grew nuts in 2 years as little 3 foot bushes.

Dunstan Chestnuts are 15/16th American Chestnuts if I remember correctly.

Plant a variety of soft and hard mast that drop for an extended period. That will help hold deer on your property.
And I plant mine in small pockets spread thru the property. Planting everything in one orchard makes it too easy for bucks to check it for does and then they move on, possibly getting shot next door.
Planting scattered mini orchards and scattered mock scrapes, and small divided plots keeps bucks busy ON YOUR PROPERTY during daylight hours. They are in less danger of being shot by neighbors when they are busy running around your place looking for does.

Divided feeding areas also accommodates more doe groups and spreads bucks out, too. Doing that makes less stress and competition among individual bucks and also doe family groups. Packing the entire herd into a large, single feeding area is not as effective as breaking them up into smaller, scattered units.

Scattered food also allows for a more varied stand strategy...helps with different wind situations and different access routes, and helps keep stands fresh and not over hunted.

I like Cummins nursery in Ithaca NY.

I’ve purchased about 12 trees for my “deer orchard” on my property. After three years they are all doing really well.
I do however have them fenced and I maintain them pretty well. Mulch, fertilizer, yearly pruning etc.
Plant some disease resistant species and mix them up to help with pollination.

What zone are you in?

I liked Ed Fort, but they are no longer in business.
Hallman Farms still offers some Fort varieties.

I've bought trees from The Wildlife Group. They have a good variety.

I just heard about Blue Hill Wildlife Nursery. I have not ordered from them but I intend to get some other pear varieties when they have them in stock. They offer some very late dropping pears. Late mast is good when every other trees are long empty of food.

My opinion...
I love having pears of differing drop times, and some with later flowering times to guard against later frosts.
I'm not crazy about apple trees. But we already have a ton of apples in back yards and wild trees, so apples are not hard to come by for deer around here. Apples are everywhere here.
Dolgo crabs are one of my favorites. Dependable fruit and great for pollinating other apples. A few Dolgos will help wild apple trees bear more fruit.

My Dwarf Chinkapin Oaks are just starting to bear acorns. I look forward to having them mature.

I have a few chinese sequin (kinda like a small chestnut) they grew nuts in 2 years as little 3 foot bushes.

Dunstan Chestnuts are 15/16th American Chestnuts if I remember correctly.

Plant a variety of soft and hard mast that drop for an extended period. That will help hold deer on your property.
And I plant mine in small pockets spread thru the property. Planting everything in one orchard makes it too easy for bucks to check it for does and then they move on, possibly getting shot next door.
Planting scattered mini orchards and scattered mock scrapes, and small divided plots keeps bucks busy ON YOUR PROPERTY during daylight hours. They are in less danger of being shot by neighbors when they are busy running around your place looking for does.

Divided feeding areas also accommodates more doe groups and spreads bucks out, too. Doing that makes less stress and competition among individual bucks and also doe family groups. Packing the entire herd into a large, single feeding area is not as effective as breaking them up into smaller, scattered units.

Scattered food also allows for a more varied stand strategy...helps with different wind situations and different access routes, and helps keep stands fresh and not over hunted.
This is great info, I'm curious on only 65 acres of hardwoods in hill country I only have one large field. That's why I was doing a central orchard. I have a clearing I plant grain or clover in every year but its covered in walnut, i dont know that i could slide in fruit trees there due to sunlight. Powerlines are the only other opening I have which sucks because they are right where I'd want to plant.

With that said would you drop trees so you can open canopy for new fruit trees? What about semi dwarf trees that wouldnt interfere with the powerlines?

Also a thought, would planting micro plots in fall mixes do the same thing you are explaining if I cant get trees in the small clearings I already have or will the established orchard pull them all in and create social pressure?

This is great info, I'm curious on only 65 acres of hardwoods in hill country I only have one large field. That's why I was doing a central orchard. I have a clearing I plant grain or clover in every year but its covered in walnut, i dont know that i could slide in fruit trees there due to sunlight. Powerlines are the only other opening I have which sucks because they are right where I'd want to plant.

With that said would you drop trees so you can open canopy for new fruit trees? What about semi dwarf trees that wouldnt interfere with the powerlines?

Also a thought, would planting micro plots in fall mixes do the same thing you are explaining if I cant get trees in the small clearings I already have or will the established orchard pull them all in and create social pressure?
You can definitely open up areas to create more sun. I like to hinge cut areas around mini orchards. Doing so opens up the canopy, and it also creates feathers edge and cover, browse, and screens different groups of trees into smaller areas. Some of my best producing apple trees are wild trees that I did not plant, but I do keep the canopy around them open.
80% of my property was open hayfield when I bought it in 1985. Now it's 80% cover with little pockets of openings and varied edges. if you plan to stay on your property for a long time, you can transform it into sections. Ten, 1-acre plots are better than one, 10-acre plot. There are lots of ways to divide plots. Switchgrass, Egyptian wheat, pines, hinge cuts and a few others work well to divide large plots into smaller units.
I toured Tony Lapratt's property in Michigan a few years ago. He had ~55 acres (if I remember correctly) and that small property seemed like 300 acres. The cover, the plots, and the bedding areas were like a maze of little units. It was quite impressive.

If you are clearing walnut trees, you need to check to see if the trees you are planting are juglone resistant. Juglone is a substance created by walnut trees (and some other species to a lesser extent) and it's contained in every part of the tree...roots, wood, and leaves. There are a lot of species that cannot tolerate juglone so don't plant certain things within the drip line and root zone of walnut trees. My chestnut trees did not do well when planted too close to walnut trees.

What planting restrictions does the power company place upon you? do they do any spraying or semi-annual mowing? If so, then you can't plant trees.

You are in hill country? That should be taken into consideration when choosing locations for trees. Avoid low, frost pockets. East exposures get the morning sun earlier which dries trees earlier each day. Dry trees produce less mold and disease. The North edge of openings are a little better for total sun exposure throughout the growing season.

If you do decide to go with one central orchard that's of mixed varieties and species, layer the varieties so the shorter trees (at maturity) are on the South side and the taller trees on the North side. That will limit the large trees shading the smaller trees. And don't make the mistake that I seem to always make...be careful how closely you plant them to each other. Make sure you'll be able to get tractors and mowers in to keep it maintained.

Back