• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ordered a Dryad Drey Yesterday!

Boomstick300

Pretty excited to get this in! Spencer has a pretty thorough review and video was pretty helpful. I know it’s pretty new to market, just wondering if anyone else has any experience with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just watched the video and looks pretty great. Also the minimalist backup harness was pretty cool and definitely gave me some ideas for rigging up my own diy back up harness. Let us know what you think when you get it.

Let us know how it goes. It seems Spencers review/instructional video is the only one out currently which means everyone has a lot of questions about a product that looks very innovative.

I have seen the question of what happens in the rain? So if you could get a female model in a bikini to get in it while you use a hose to test out what happens, that would be appreciated.

I am sure there will be all sorts of customized ideas for it as well as updates/upgrades from Dryad as well that will come from direct customer feedback.

Last edited:
Ordered the retrofit kit last Saturday and it was delivered on Monday, super fast shipping. Have been playing around with it attached to my Cruzr XC and also with it attached to a rock climbing harness I had laying around. It’s essentially the exact same as sitting in a hammock. The new adjustment points take a little getting used to, but it’s not hard at all. Where I’ve found most comfort is rolling the seams over like spencer does in his video. It’s a pretty neat design and definitely see myself using it this season.

On a side note I messaged Dane the owner some questions I had after receiving it, he was quick to respond and very helpful. Don’t hesitate to shoot him a message if you have any questions.

Ordered the retrofit kit last Saturday and it was delivered on Monday, super fast shipping. Have been playing around with it attached to my Cruzr XC and also with it attached to a rock climbing harness I had laying around. It’s essentially the exact same as sitting in a hammock. The new adjustment points take a little getting used to, but it’s not hard at all. Where I’ve found most comfort is rolling the seams over like spencer does in his video. It’s a pretty neat design and definitely see myself using it this season.

On a side note I messaged Dane the owner some questions I had after receiving it, he was quick to respond and very helpful. Don’t hesitate to shoot him a message if you have any questions.

Thanks for the response! I was impressed as well with same day shipping. I should have probably purchased the retrofit straps as well-in order to test it out on my other saddles. I’ll probably give that a go as well.

I ordered a retrofit kit gonna try it on my method 2. Just got it in the mail yesterday super fast shipping. Thing is super light weight looks put together good. Will give it a try once the monsoon stops next week. Wanted to give it a try for those all day sits when you just want to lean back and relax. Weighs so little keep it attached all the time and use when I feel like it.

Hope it works out would be a nice addition for the slow days when you just wanna hang out and catch a nap.

I ordered a retrofit kit gonna try it on my method 2. Just got it in the mail yesterday super fast shipping. Thing is super light weight looks put together good. Will give it a try once the monsoon stops next week. Wanted to give it a try for those all day sits when you just want to lean back and relax. Weighs so little keep it attached all the time and use when I feel like it.

Hope it works out would be a nice addition for the slow days when you just wanna hang out and catch a nap.

Interested to see how you think this system works retrofitted on the Method 2. I would think that the middle retrofit attachment would prevent the magnets from attaching properly.

My other concern is with this retrofitted to a saddle what do you do with dump pouches? Also wonder if you can you get it without the blaze orange bridge rope?

Interested to see how you think this system works retrofitted on the Method 2. I would think that the middle retrofit attachment would prevent the magnets from attaching properly.

My other concern is with this retrofitted to a saddle what do you do with dump pouches? Also wonder if you can you get it without the blaze orange bridge rope?
Retrofitted to a normal saddle, I don’t see how you’d be able to use dump pouches. I’m sure you could but think them being compressed against your body would take away some comfort.

Yeah won't be able to run dump pouches in normal position. Not a huge deal for me could just daisy chain my linesman. Put my tether in the drey bag it does have extra room. Just carry my other odds and ends in my pockets. Would be easy enough to attach a dump pouch on the waist belt in the front. But I would have to play with that to see if it annoyed me.

As far as the magnets shouldn't interfere at all. It attached to the saddle the same way a dump pouch would pretty much.

I might play around with it today if I get around to it. Rain has finally decided to let up some. I will let you guys know what I think after I get some tree time with it. Will definitely have to change how I was doing some things before to use it but I don't think any of the changes will be major.

Well, I just got it today and spent about 3hrs with it! First impressions were very positive! The build quality and materials used are quality. You just won’t see the quality until you have it in hand. Some of my concerns about its durability were immediately satisfied and ultimately unwarranted-I expect it to hold up just as well as any one of my other saddles!

Observations from the limited amount of time I spent in a tree.

Noise-There is no more noise with the Dryad than there is with anything else saddle wise. Once I connected the Austrialpin Cobra buckle, everything else on the belt was very quiet including the bag and hammock itself.

Leg Strap-I’m 6’3” and weigh 245. I was concerned that the straps would not be wide enough and hence uncomfortable. My thoughts are still in the air about this. I was surprised that it wasn’t as uncomfortable as I thought they would be but I’m thinking I would maybe prefer a wider leg strap. My climb method was climbing sticks so I didn’t sit with them much. However, I do use SRT and One Stick so more time sitting in the legs straps would give me more to go on. In any event-once I deployed the hammock there was no pressure on leg straps or belt. I kept a little slack in the tether and transferred all my weight to the hammock.

Mobility-I was wondering how my mobility would be affected when in the hammock. I was concerned about the ability to get my arms out quickly and quietly and grab my bow off the hanger and pull off a shot. I found it no worse than trying to maneuver around any other saddle system and their respective bridges and tether. In fact I believe the owner referenced this in a video. I felt a lot more secure and supported when my arms came out and the hammock was just under my armpits. I felt more controlled on my ROS. it felt like it prevented me from over swinging around the tree for a weekside shot.

Lineman’s belt-When I set up my sticks I used the method in the instructional videos. It was slow going and felt weird to me just a little. What I felt was that since it was not positioned as wide on the tree, as what is custom (loops on each hip) the “fulcrum point” if you will was very narrow. I’m not sure if any of this makes sense-I felt like I was more apt to swing around the tree if lost balance or misstep. Perhaps I just need to get more comfortable with it.

Hammock-top-shelf quality materials used with exceptional stitching! The comfort I experienced with the limited amount of time is just unparalleled. Just don’t see how this cannot be the ticket for all day sits! If I could offer up one recommendation it would be to add a second option for a size up. As mentioned I’m 6’3” 245. When I was seated I was able to get the hammock material directly behind my knee and when I rolled the hammock up I got it to go up to the base of my neck. I was able to pull material from behind my knee by lifting the belt up and getting enough to support my head. However, I would rather not have to shift the belt around.

I have never been one to prefer minimalism over comfort-hunting all year last year in a JX3. With that being said, the Dryad Dre and belt system is about as minimal as your going to get, for me anyway. I obviously haven’t had an all day sit in it yet, but there is absolutely no question that I foresee this being the most comfortable saddle I will have used to date. As soon as I can I will attempt a go at some pics/vids at height with some shots from different angles.

R/S
Mike

Last edited:
Well I got out and tryed it out for a few minutes. Overall with the method I think it will be a good fit since the method doesn't have the bulk and lays flat against the body. I am going to have to figure out a few things to use it though. I think I may have to run a separate tether for the drey and keep my tether attached to the method. To transition to the drey from the bridge of the method is a pain. Bridge angles are different and tether height for each In their sweet spot is different.

So I think next time I give it a try I will run my prussic tether on the method then use ct rollinlock tether on the drey for easy transition. Gotta do some more playing around with it to find something that will work.

When I detached my method and just had all the weight in the drey it was really comfortable though. So I think it would be worth alittle playing around to get it to work for the all day sits. Not worth the hassle on shorter sits since I am plenty comfortable in the method xl alone. Once I figure something out on the bridge deal I will post it.

Well, I just got it today and spent about 3hrs with it! First impressions were very positive! The build quality and materials used are quality. You just won’t see the quality until you have it in hand. Some of my concerns about its durability were immediately satisfied and ultimately unwarranted-I expect it to hold up just as well as any one of my other saddles!

Noise-There is no more noise with the Dryad than there is with anything else saddle wise. Once I connected the Austrialpin Cobra buckle, everything else on the belt was very quiet including the bag and hammock itself.

Leg Strap-I’m 6’3” and weigh 245. I was concerned that the straps would not be wide enough and hence uncomfortable. My thoughts are still in the air about this. I was surprised that it wasn’t as uncomfortable as I thought they would be but I’m thinking I would maybe prefer a wider leg strap. My climb method was climbing sticks so I didn’t sit with them much. However, I do use SRT and One Stick so more time sitting in the legs straps would give me more to go on. In any event-once I deployed the hammock there was no pressure on leg straps or belt. I kept a little slack in the tether and transferred all my weight to the hammock.

Mobility-I was wondering how my mobility would be affected when in the hammock. I was concerned about the ability to get my arms out quickly and quietly and grab my bow off the hanger and pull off a shot. I found it no worse than trying to maneuver around any other saddle system and their respective bridges and tether. In fact I believe the owner referenced this in a video. I felt a lot more secure and supported when my arms came out and the hammock was just under my armpits. I felt more controlled on my ROS. it felt like it prevented me from over swinging around the tree for a weekside shot.

Lineman’s belt-When I set up my sticks I used the method in the instructional videos. It was slow going and felt weird to me just a little. What I felt was that since it was not positioned as wide on the tree, as what is custom (loops on each hip) the “fulcrum point” if you will was very narrow. I’m not sure if any of this makes sense-I felt like I was more apt to swing around the tree if lost balance or misstep. Perhaps I just need to get more comfortable with it.

Hammock-top-shelf quality materials used with exceptional stitching! The comfort I experienced with the limited amount of time is just unparalleled. Just don’t see how this cannot be the ticket for all day sits! If I could offer up one recommendation it would be to add a second option for a size up. As mentioned I’m 6’3” 245. When I was seated I was able to get the hammock material directly behind my knee and when I rolled the hammock up I got it to go up to the base of my neck. I was able to pull material from behind my knee by lifting the belt up and getting enough to support my head. However, I would rather not have to shift the belt around.

I have never been one to prefer minimalism over comfort-hunting all year last year in a JX3. With that being said, the Dryad Dre and belt system is about as minimal as your going to get, for me anyway. I obviously haven’t had an all day sit in it yet, but there is absolutely no question that I foresee this being the most comfortable saddle I will have used to date. As soon as I can I will attempt a go at some pics/vids at height with some shots from different angles.

R/S
Mike

Thank you for the information.

As for the linemen’s belt loops, I wonder if the owner (sorry don’t know his name yet) could make a belt mod to include actual sewn in belt loops to attach your LB to. Like sew one on each side that is still lose enough to allow the hammock bag to slide all the way around for easy reach when not using the LB loops and still have the D ring in the center for the tether.

Also I am 6’5, 240 or so and was also curious why he can’t just add some extra fabric and make a regular and large size hammock based on what the buyer wants. That way bigger dudes and taller dudes get love also.

It is still new so I’m sure they will make/add options or accessories or whatever like other companies do.

Thanks again. If you have any pictures that would be awesome.

R/S
Mike

I have a couple questions related to noise. You said it made no more noise than a normal saddle… Were you referring to it rubbing against itself or other materials?. Or is that with the hammock out at height? If so how much wind were you in before coming to this conclusion? I ask because in my experience with hammock materials (rip stop nylon) when extended in the wind, you get that flag at the top of the flag pole sound. Just curious if the sound non de facto was in actual simulation at height in wind

I have a couple questions related to noise. You said it made no more noise than a normal saddle… Were you referring to it rubbing against itself or other materials?. Or is that with the hammock out at height? If so how much wind were you in before coming to this conclusion? I ask because in my experience with hammock materials (rip stop nylon) when extended in the wind, you get that flag at the top of the flag pole sound. Just curious if the sound non de facto was in actual simulation at height in wind
Is it rip stop nylon? I can’t find that information either.

But you also just made me wonder if instead of guys rappelling, they can just parachute down now and save time. Hmmmmm. (Sarcasm everyone).

Not sure how to qualify my conclusion on noise without a video. I was looking at it from its totality. From walking to the tree in my yard with the belt on, moving the Dre bag on the belt in order to remove and deploy the hammock, climbing 4 Muddy Pro sticks, experimenting with leaning, sitting and shooting while in the hammock. With all that movement and adjusting, while in the tree, I did not have one concern with the noise. The material really makes no concerning noise with normal positioning while being used. As far as the Dre flailing in the wind like a flag-I really couldn’t speak to that as it wasn’t windy out. However, I really doubt that would be comparable as it’s, for a lack of a better definition, “form fitting” while it envelops the portion of your body you set it up for. On a side note-I made more noise stepping through my Aerohunter Kestrel when testing my makeshift retrofit with the Dryad than I did deploying the Dre from its bag. I was very concerned about the noise as well when I was up in the air on whether I wanted to order the kit. Fortunately, today, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it wasn’t “noisy” to me. Hope this helps. Sorry for the lack of a better explanation.

Last edited:
Not sure how to qualify my conclusion on noise without a video. I was looking at it from its totality. From walking to the tree in my yard with the belt on, moving the Dre bag on the belt in order to remove and deploy the hammock, climbing 4 Muddy Pro sticks, experimenting with leaning, sitting and shooting while in the hammock. With all that movement and adjusting, while in the tree, I did not have one concern with the noise. The material really makes no concerning noise with normal positioning while being used. As far as the Dre flailing in the wind like a flag-I really couldn’t speak to that as it wasn’t windy out. However, I really doubt that would be comparable as it’s, for a lack of a better definition, “form fitting” while it envelops the portion of your body you set it up for. On a side note-I made more noise stepping through my Aerohunter Kestrel when testing my makeshift retrofit with the Dryad than I did deploying the Dre from its bag. I was very concerned about the noise as well when I was up in the air on whether I wanted to order the kit. Fortunately, today, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it wasn’t “noisy” to me. Hope this helps. Sorry for the lack of a better explanation.

Thanks for the thorough review. I was very curious how it would handle noise.

Is it rip stop nylon? I can’t find that information either.

But you also just made me wonder if instead of guys rappelling, they can just parachute down now and save time. Hmmmmm. (Sarcasm everyone).
There was another thread on here I believe the owner said it was a strong lightweight rip stop nylon. I could be wrong though

Back