• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ordered a Recon, how has everyone improved upon it?

HuumanCreed

SH Member
Should be here before Christmas hopefully! Just wanted to see what other have done to it while I wait for mine.

Obviously I'm getting ahead of myself, have to try it first before I know what I want/need. Just seeing if anyone with experiences have insights on things that I should notice.

Or any other mods done to other 2 panels styles that I should consider?

Ordered with webbing bridge but I have amsteel and Oplux on hand to test out (its a long off season). Some people mentioned possible sounds due to webbing bridge. How does everyone silent it better?

Thinking about adding some form of clips to the molle so the two panels stay together. (like the ESS and Method). Or just some paracord loops and carabriner would do the job.

I'm planning to one stick up and rappel down, so I'm going to keep the leg straps on, just for peace of mind.

Planning to pack it in, not wear it. So I dont see a need to attach alot to it because I heard comments how its not the best when weighted down. Am I wrong? At first I was thinking of packing everything I need onto the molle (3-4 pouches and even the stick).

Thank you all!

Started off with a Tactisaddle then sitdrag then Mantis then H2 and now recon. The recon is by far the best. Being able to separate the panels to adjust pressure is huge! I sat 8 hours in it this year, no way could not have done that with the others I sold. Advice, stick with the webbing bridge and put some bow string wax on the inside of the rubber plates to prevent squeaking which isn’t really bad at all. I took off the waist belt and put on a heavier duty webbing bridge and left enough through the side plates to make that my waist belt and but on a cobra style waist buckle. I pack mine in as well, always have with my others saddles. I hunt a lot of thick cover and didn’t want to tear up my saddle. I do not use the leg straps I feel no need for them. Best compact and most comfortable saddle out there in my opinion.

Can anyone show me a pic of how the bridge is attached?
I’m really unfamiliar with all hunting saddles, but tree climbing is life and I’m curious about the saddles y’all are using.

Started off with a Tactisaddle then sitdrag then Mantis then H2 and now recon. The recon is by far the best. Being able to separate the panels to adjust pressure is huge! I sat 8 hours in it this year, no way could not have done that with the others I sold. Advice, stick with the webbing bridge and put some bow string wax on the inside of the rubber plates to prevent squeaking which isn’t really bad at all. I took off the waist belt and put on a heavier duty webbing bridge and left enough through the side plates to make that my waist belt and but on a cobra style waist buckle. I pack mine in as well, always have with my others saddles. I hunt a lot of thick cover and didn’t want to tear up my saddle. I do not use the leg straps I feel no need for them. Best compact and most comfortable saddle out there in my opinion.

I started with a sit-drag, then borrowed a Ambush Pro from a buddy on this forum. I'm sorry to say that the sit-drag was more comfortable even if the TL Pro look SUPER secure and is built like a tank. It was just too rigid for me and I had pinches everywhere. I saw the Wraptor on this forum and wanted to built one myself, but wife cared for my safety too much and wouldnt let me DIY it myself (or it could be she think i'm a moron with no sewing experience who first attempt is something my life depend on). We compromised on a Recon for my Christmas present and I think its the right decision.

Question, the saddle look shinny from the videos and pictures. obviously people have used it successfully, but how much does it stand out compared to the more earth tone of other saddle?

I have had mine for about a month and love it. The only thing I've done so far is removed the leg straps. I have seen where guys have flipped the straps going through the metal buckles to adjust the pinching but I that hasn't been a issue for me.

1) Bungee belt.
2) Flip the plates.
3) Remove the rubber coating, but wax works. I just didn't want to take a chance that the wax might fail to silence it under certain conditions, which would most likely happen in the presence of a shooter buck.

I've spent many 12 hour hangs in mine (on platforms).
I see no need for any other brand.

1) Bungee belt.
2) Flip the plates.
3) Remove the rubber coating, but wax works. I just didn't want to take a chance that the wax might fail to silence it under certain conditions, which would most likely happen in the presence of a shooter buck.

I've spent many 12 hour hangs in mine (on platforms).
I see no need for any other brand.

What do you mean by flips the plates?

The bridge and webbing from waist and leg straps attaches at rigging plates?

What do you mean by flips the plates?
I made a video. Its on this forum someplace. Anyone have the link handy?

Twist the main webbing in the plates. It changes the orientation of how the webbing goes thru the plates. Mark ships them with the bottom webbing section coming out of the plates on the inside of the plates. Flipping the plates changes it so the bottom comes out of the plates on the outside.

I made a video. Its on this forum someplace. Anyone have the link handy?

I believe this is it.

Be advised that the belt needs to be loose when sitting. In my experience, even with the leg straps this means the Recon can fall down when you stand up. This is something to be aware of when one sticking.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Best advise i can give for modding is once you get comfortable managing a 2 panel saddle, cut the stitching that holds the two panels together. And it'd be cool if we could order it without molle or the funky stitching that makes the leg loops work but also stiffens the bottom panel

Be advised that the belt needs to be loose when sitting. In my experience, even with the leg straps this means the Recon can fall down when you stand up. This is something to be aware of when one sticking.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
That is the main reason for a bungee belt. The saddle can "open" when tethered under weight, but then it auto closed snug when you unweight the bridge.

Best advise i can give for modding is once you get comfortable managing a 2 panel saddle, cut the stitching that holds the two panels together. And it'd be cool if we could order it without molle or the funky stitching that makes the leg loops work but also stiffens the bottom panel
I'm gonna have to disagree with eliminating this stitches. We eliminated the stitches on one of the prototypes just to see the effect. The panels had a bad tendency to get extremely twisted in the washer, or even when stuffing in a pack. It wasn't anything that couldn't be straightened back out, but it was a little annoying. IMO, there are more negatives to removing the stitches than there are to leave them in.

Back