• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

OSSO BUCCO!

K1white3

If anyone has never tried Steve rinellas recipe for Osco Busso you are doing yourself a major injustice. I had never even heard of it before tried it and now I make it with beef also. Google "Meat Eater Osco Busso" you want the braised version because he also has an Indian version but I haven't tried that one. My wife is a very picky eater and she loves this stuff. I will never EVER throw away another leg shank(from knee to ankle) from a deer kill ever again. Check it out!

Osso Bucco (in case anyone is searching for it), but he does have a great cookbook! So many things with items I would normally have chucked during gutting/processing.

Damn

I threw away 20 servings of it in the gut bucket this yr alone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If anyone has never tried Steve rinellas recipe for Osco Busso you are doing yourself a major injustice. I had never even heard of it before tried it and now I make it with beef also. Google "Meat Eater Osco Busso" you want the braised version because he also has an Indian version but I haven't tried that one. My wife is a very picky eater and she loves this stuff. I will never EVER throw away another leg shank(from knee to ankle) from a deer kill ever again. Check it out!

X2. I’ve made it a few times and it’s really good. Makes butchering a bit easier too since you can basically take the front legs and wrap them up whole rather than picking every piece of meat and silver skin.

The first time I made it, I found it hard to cut the shank into 2-3” chunks like Rinella did. So the last couple of times I made it using the whole shank - tastes the same (great!) just isn’t at pretty on the serving plate...

I figured a lot of people threw this out. I always did. But once you make it you never will again Bucco busso sane difference

Okay, you’re 100% correct that shanks are not trash, but I can’t hold it in anymore, as I’m 100% Italian and it’s making me crazy:

Please edit the spelling of this post’s name to OSSO BUCCO.
O-S-S-O
B-U-C-C-O
Old-man soapbox ridden. I’m also a teacher, so I advocate spell-check.

Seriously though, osso bucco is better than filet mignon.

The shanks are the first thing I eat! Love osso bucco! Hank shaw's buck buck moose also has some good shank recipes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I made some osso bucco for the first time last week... HOLY CRAP is that good! I'm gonna have to start stealing shanks at deer camp from here on out.

The first time I made it, I found it hard to cut the shank into 2-3” chunks like Rinella did. So the last couple of times I made it using the whole shank - tastes the same (great!) just isn’t at pretty on the serving plate...
MeatSaw while frozen - nothing wrong with just doing it whole though.

The shanks are the first thing I eat! Love osso bucco! Hank shaw's buck buck moose also has some good shank recipes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hank Shaw's Osso Bucco is really good, but I would give the nod to Meat Eaters. However, Hank has a great barbacoa recipe!

I've made it. you should 110% make it, you will NOT regret it, Braised Shanks aka Osso Bucco is fantastic. and worth the work and wait.

If you get tired of that specific preparation they make excellent taco/burrito/enchilada meat also, braise in a red chili sauce and use however you wish. Mexican food is my jam so that's what I tend to do with them the most. Also just your typical garlic rosemary pot roast recipes over mashed tates or polenta. Blows my mind that people throw shanks out, it's definitely one of the top 3 parts of a deer.

If you get tired of that specific preparation they make excellent taco/burrito/enchilada meat also, braise in a red chili sauce and use however you wish. Mexican food is my jam so that's what I tend to do with them the most. Also just your typical garlic rosemary pot roast recipes over mashed tates or polenta. Blows my mind that people throw shanks out, it's definitely one of the top 3 parts of a deer.

Thanks for sharing I’m all about Mexican food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another good shank recipe:

Get a skillet searing hot with olive oil.

Prep your shank with salt and pepper.

Sear all sides in the skillet, adding garlic, rosemary and butter.

Once its seared, place it in a slow cooker with a little broth, potatoes, carrots, celery and whatever seasoning you'd like. Set your shank (or shanks) in there.

Take your skillet and dice an onion up (I prefer white), and sauté the onions in the oil from searing the shank. Dump the whole pan into the slow cooker...all of it...oil and all.

Throw in a can of cream of mushroom (or celery).

Let it cook all day on high.

When you get home from hunting, pull the bone out with a pair of tongs, stir it up a little and put it on low.

Bake some biscuits and serve the shank pot roast over a bed of biscuits.

And try not to slap your momma.

Last edited:
Back