• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Our Community

ThePennsylvanian

One of the biggest draws of SH is the community we have, second only to the need to feed the addiction......
Something that always keeps me coming back is individually different our community is yet how close knit we can get with folks weay have never met in person.....
We need to be better at understanding that we believe and the way we think may not be the others think. And that is ok, as long as it is safe and legal..... do you boo boo! I've met some really awesome folks on here, had some at my house for our first saddle meet a few years back.... let's focus on the mission promote the sport, and have a sense of community, you want to pass judgement go hang out on facebook........sorry just a little rant.....

I can’t ever get over what a great group of folks comprise this SH site. It occasionally sucks when we get in heated debates about heavy vs light or mechanical vs fixed but that’s just human nature. At the end of the day, we all make nice and enjoy each other’s company. Hat’s off to you all

Perhaps I'm the A-hole here, but I think we should be building a culture rather than "accepting our differences."

That doesn't necessarily mean my culture. But it also doesn't mean giving a pass to each and every thing because we "support the sport."

Sorry I don't have Facebook. Sorry I think we can do better. I'm not perfect either.

I can’t ever get over what a great group of folks comprise this SH site. It occasionally sucks when we get in heated debates about heavy vs light or mechanical vs fixed but that’s just human nature. At the end of the day, we all make nice and enjoy each other’s company. Hat’s off to you all
The internet being the internet, when I’m part of a site that is free to sign up for and see the worst thing we have going is banter about arrows or one companies shipping fees then we are doing a great job.

I do not have social media by choice except for this forum. The main reason is the knowledge I get here on the tiniest things like ropes and knots and recipes and techniques.

I lurked on this site for close to two years just reading posts about backpacks and gear. I always noticed the lack of trolls or the single comment of hate like you see on other major social media sites. I could tell the people on this site were very legitimate in their comments and concerns to one another and that’s not the norm anymore.

This place is the “Cheers” of the internet. If you get the reference then you should feel old now.

It's easy to get along with peeps when u don't actually have to interact with them .....hahahaha

I didn't sign up on here to make any friends but I think I made some by accident....the only other "culture" I've been involved with was the off-road/4x4 people and I never liked them much....u hunters are pretty easy to get along with.

This has always been a great online community. Other interests and responsibilities have lead me to spend less time here but this is still about as good as it gets. Scott and all the moderators do a pretty good job of squashing things pretty quick. There have been a few doozies over the years but the worst things have
@Plebe there is only one thing that I’ve been told that was strictly off limits here. It’s the most important thing of all but it is a controversial subject at best so I get it. Everything else you can voice your opinion on but you just have to be respectful.

There is a respectable community aspect to it, and that's why myself and others volunteer to help @redsquirrel run the day-to-day stuff. If you are on the same page, we could use a few more helpers. Feel free to reach out if you want to help. :)
I can never thank our moderators enough for the job they do around here to keep this place a community that I want to remain a part of. I mentioned in one of the other threads how I read every single post ever on this site until Jan 1, 2019. Our great group of moderators are the only reason this site has been able to continue as it has since then. That day was a very hard reality for me because at that point saddlehunter had become more than just a hobby for me, it was something that had become part of me and practically flowed through my bloodstream. Being honest, for a long time now saddle hunting (and saddlehunter) is not just something I do anymore, it is part of my identity. I've been running this website for a quarter of my life :openmouth:

Thank you @Bigterp @boyne bowhunter @fbwguy @GCTerpfan @Jefferson10940 @skell @sureshotscott and @Wirrex. Thank you to our past moderators who have moved on but still remain a part of our site.

Additionally a big thanks to our community as a whole. It is amazing to me how once people hang around and get the community vibe on here that most of them tend to fit in rather than treat it like other places across the internet. I appreciate you all for that!

This has always been a great online community. Other interests and responsibilities have lead me to spend less time here but this is still about as good as it gets. Scott and all the moderators do a pretty good job of squashing things pretty quick. There have been a few doozies over the years but the worst things have
@Plebe there is only one thing that I’ve been told that was strictly off limits here. It’s the most important thing of all but it is a controversial subject at best so I get it. Everything else you can voice your opinion on but you just have to be respectful.

I certainly didn't mean to imply this is anything other than a great online community fostering a positive culture.

My comment was intended more in a philosophical sense. I just don't think safe and legal is always a perfect litmus.

I do think we (as a group) find the level ground more often than not, and I'm onboarding some of the spirit of what @ThePennsylvanian wrote; I should reign things in from time to time.

I've only been apart of this community for close to a year now, and I spent 4 months of that on the side just reading. I've been apart of a lot of other Forum groups before but not like this one, and I literally come to work, log in, keep this forum up on one screen, and work on the other! lol

Thank you all for what you do to run this awesome community!

Agreed. Thank you, this is a great group. Too many good people to risk forgetting one by tagging some, but it's true, lots of good people on here. Sure we scrap every once in a while, and sure there's probably some people that roll their eyes when they see my name (and there's a few I react to similarly) but the content and tenor of this site is head and shoulders above most and that is pretty much all credit to the moderating team. Also scammers. Facebook is ripoff central, and while I'm sure a few get through the cracks, youve done a fantastic job keeping our money safer on here too, good on ya!

Agreed. Thank you, this is a great group. Too many good people to risk forgetting one by tagging some, but it's true, lots of good people on here. Sure we scrap every once in a while, and sure there's probably some people that roll their eyes when they see my name (and there's a few I react to similarly) but the content and tenor of this site is head and shoulders above most and that is pretty much all credit to the moderating team. Also scammers. Facebook is ripoff central, and while I'm sure a few get through the cracks, youve done a fantastic job keeping our money safer on here too, good on ya!

In this regards we are a lot like a bunch of bucks. During the off season, we hang around each other stress free and all friendly without a care in the world. But when the rut come a long, we try to show our dominance by showing how experiences we are, the tools at our disposal (antler=gear), compete for the ladies in public and private, lose tons of weight(money) trying to succeed at the same goal, then spend the rest of the year recovering our strength(wallet) to go again next year. The one that last many seasons have the most experience, they don't response to every grunt (click bait posts)!

Last edited:
The internet being the internet, when I’m part of a site that is free to sign up for and see the worst thing we have going is banter about arrows or one companies shipping fees then we are doing a great job.

I do not have social media by choice except for this forum. The main reason is the knowledge I get here on the tiniest things like ropes and knots and recipes and techniques.

I lurked on this site for close to two years just reading posts about backpacks and gear. I always noticed the lack of trolls or the single comment of hate like you see on other major social media sites. I could tell the people on this site were very legitimate in their comments and concerns to one another and that’s not the norm anymore.

This place is the “Cheers” of the internet. If you get the reference then you should feel old now.
If this is cheers, can I be Cliff :sweatsmile:

In this regards we are a lot like a bunch of bucks. During the off season, we hang around each other stress free and all friendly without a care in the world. But when the rut come a long, we try to show our dominance by showing how experiences we are, the tools at our disposal (antler=gear), compete for the ladies in public and private, lose tons of weight(money) trying to accept the same goal, then spend the rest of the year recovering our strength(wallet) to go again next year. The one that last many seasons have the most experience, they don't response to every grunt (click bait posts)!
Love that analogy! Spot on :)

I love this site. Saddlehunters are Saddlehunters are Saddlehunters are Saddlehunters. We all have that in common. We should also embrace differences but at the end of the day, there are certain things in life that just are. I'm not going to go down that road of differences except that I'm no able to judge anybody any better than anyone else. I like that we keep the focus apolitical (for the most part) and we carry on what we as sportsmen and women try to do in the field here in terms of a common respect, embrace and support new folks, and overall, try to emulate a culture which is positive, legal, ethical, moral and fun!!! Love all you psuedo folks on here.

Perhaps I'm the A-hole here, but I think we should be building a culture rather than "accepting our differences."

That doesn't necessarily mean my culture. But it also doesn't mean giving a pass to each and every thing because we "support the sport."

Sorry I don't have Facebook. Sorry I think we can do better. I'm not perfect either.
Here here. If you think I’m doing something unsafe, heck let me know. If you think I’m taking low percentage shots, heck let me know. That’s what the dudes around the camp fire experience is like, and thus far this place seems to stay even more civil than that.

Back