• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ozone machine in your car?

MattMan81

SH Member
Anyone ran their ozone machine in their car? So I have kids, and the are super clean and never have dropped a thing in the car........
But either way have you tried it in the car and what have the results been?

Anyone ran their ozone machine in their car? So I have kids, and the are super clean and never have dropped a thing in the car........
But either way have you tried it in the car and what have the results been?
They seem to work really well, but some folks say you shouldn’t run it while you’re in the vehicle.

I think I remember John Eberhart mentioning he runs one in his mini van before season in one of his videos. I think TK161BOONER is correct about not being in there while it is running.

yup, I run one in my people hauler and hunting vehicle. It’s not a miracle cure but does help with odors. I run it for about an hour, idling my vehicle the last 10 minutes or so on recirc. I also don’t have the industrial sized ozone machines either, I’ve read that they work much better, that’s what detailers and dealers use

I’ve done it. It helps de-funk, until stuff doesn’t get dropped/spilled in there again. It wasn’t nice to the the elastic straps on my seat covers though.

Last edited:
I run it in my truck at the beginning of every season. My truck isn’t funky smelling to begin with, I just do it because it mentally makes me feel like I’m doing everything right.

i believe there are different types of ozone machines

the more industrial ones that were around before hunting ones might be a bit more dangerous to human health (opposite of those 'antioxidant' pills on the tv) and also over time are hard on materials

some large cities have ozone warnings at ground level when it is particularly bad on a certain day

yup, I run one in my people hauler and hunting vehicle. It’s not a miracle cure but does help with odors. I run it for about an hour, idling my vehicle the last 10 minutes or so on recirc. I also don’t have the industrial sized ozone machines either, I’ve read that they work much better, that’s what detailers and dealers use
I do too.
I usually put my recurve and some other items inside when I run it.
Mine puts out 600 units so I guess it's probably considered a mid range unit.
Ozone is great stuff. Just don't occupy the space while running it.

I always rent an ozone generator from sunbelt when I need one. I’m a property manager and have to get rid of smoke and mildew smells often. Just be careful that humans or pets aren’t around while running And also know ozone is known to damage rubber products. I’d keep my bow away just in case.

I let the ozone generator run in the car for a half hour the night before I go hunting. Works really well.

I have a commercial unit that I only use sparingly in vehicles. Word of warning - not only elastic products will deteriorate, but a heavy dose will create a chalky haze on rubber and plastic, especially any black interior trim and will require something like Armour All to get rid of it. Putting a large unit inside a vehicle will damage itself, so it is best to place the output side pointing in propped in the window and tape off the rest to seal it off. Run the car fan on recirculating mode for a few mins to clean the insides of the ducts to really get all possible odor sources.

I have a commercial unit that I only use sparingly in vehicles. Word of warning - not only elastic products will deteriorate, but a heavy dose will create a chalky haze on rubber and plastic, especially any black interior trim and will require something like Armour All to get rid of it. Putting a large unit inside a vehicle will damage itself, so it is best to place the output side pointing in propped in the window and tape off the rest to seal it off. Run the car fan on recirculating mode for a few mins to clean the insides of the ducts to really get all possible odor sources.

so you don't suggest ever subjecting saddles, ropes, or webbing to it?

so you don't suggest ever subjecting saddles, ropes, or webbing to it?
I would not. It breaks down rubber. If you expose it to anything with elastic it will destroy it. It works by oxidizing some of the compounds it bonds to. Many organic compounds get accelerated oxidation. That is why smells, smoke, mold, mildew the O3 generator are great of getting rid of.
You can buy car size generators for around 60 bucks on amazon.

I have an ozone machine that I run in a sealed room to remove odor from my hunting gear. Periodically i run it in my truck to get rid of the smell of my dog. It works great.

It would be great if some of the saddle
Makers who frequent the forum could comment on the effects of ozone on saddles and ropes.

Me personally. I won't risk it. If it breaks down rubber or types of plastic. It can effect it some. Most ropes have a polyester core.

Paging @Brocky ? @Fl Canopy Stalker ? Any insight to ropes/saddles and ozone machines?
I don’t use them for multiple reasons. First is nylon and polyester (the two most common rope and saddle materials) do not handle ozone oxidation very well at all. It’s down right dangerous to introduce ozone to your saddles and ropes for any extended length of time. Interestingly polyurethane and ABS plastics do handle ozone very well though…. Dyneema, technora, and Kevlar are only mildly resistant to ozone. So yea I don’t recommend using it for your life safety gear.

My other reason is the ozone is not good for us to breathe. It alters the chemical composition of organic materials. So while it does change the air, it also affects our lungs, our odor receptors in our nose and other things inside of our bodies. There are even some scientist who argue that ozone doesn’t actually remove the odor from the surrounding air as effectively as we think, so much as it alters the olfactory sense in our noses causing our perception of odor to change.

I don’t use them for multiple reasons. First is nylon and polyester (the two most common rope and saddle materials) do not handle ozone oxidation very well at all. It’s down right dangerous to introduce ozone to your saddles and ropes for any extended length of time. Interestingly polyurethane and ABS plastics do handle ozone very well though…. Dyneema, technora, and Kevlar are only mildly resistant to ozone. So yea I don’t recommend using it for your life safety gear.

My other reason is the ozone is not good for us to breathe. It alters the chemical composition of organic materials. So while it does change the air, it also affects our lungs, our odor receptors in our nose and other things inside of our bodies. There are even some scientist who argue that ozone doesn’t actually remove the odor from the surrounding air as effectively as we think, so much as it alters the olfactory sense in our noses causing our perception of odor to change.
Thanks!! I was hoping you’d catch wind of this talk.

Back