• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

PA/OH/NY/NJ/MD "Mountain" Hunting

vrosa12

Hey Guys,

New to the Saddle Hunting website. I hunt out of a Lone Wolf Climber, however, I'm obsessed with deer hunting strategy and tactics so I figured I'd start a few conversations with some of the great hunters on this site.

Mountain hunting has always intrigued me. We're not talking about mountains out west, but sizable elevation in the Northeast. I believe the best (most uninterrupted) public land hunting can be found in the NE US mountains. With that being said, it is a DIFFICULT hunt. Hiking miles in to get back to a mountaintop swamp, crossing streams to climb 100s of feet of elevation, scouting for weeks to find the right area... my question pertains to whether it's worth it? Do mature whitetails live in these locations? Do they have the nutrition required to grow large racks? Do they wander too much to hunt effectively? I am going to try either way, however, I would like to see what other hunter's have experienced hunting this type of terrain. If so, what is your favorite strategy?

Thanks,

Vic

Hey Guys,

New to the Saddle Hunting website. I hunt out of a Lone Wolf Climber, however, I'm obsessed with deer hunting strategy and tactics so I figured I'd start a few conversations with some of the great hunters on this site.

Mountain hunting has always intrigued me. We're not talking about mountains out west, but sizable elevation in the Northeast. I believe the best (most uninterrupted) public land hunting can be found in the NE US mountains. With that being said, it is a DIFFICULT hunt. Hiking miles in to get back to a mountaintop swamp, crossing streams to climb 100s of feet of elevation, scouting for weeks to find the right area... my question pertains to whether it's worth it? Do mature whitetails live in these locations? Do they have the nutrition required to grow large racks? Do they wander too much to hunt effectively? I am going to try either way, however, I would like to see what other hunter's have experienced hunting this type of terrain. If so, what is your favorite strategy?

Thanks,

Vic
I’m in massachusetts so deer density in comparison is a little different but I will say that I hunt mostly large timber. It’s where I grew up and what I’ve just stuck to. It’s hilly terrain with swamps and plenty of timber transition but the deer do not have a home. The bucks have a few preferred bedding locations but they’re near impossible to get into and hunt with out boogering it all up. That being said they do frequent the same locations at the same time of the year every season. I have one spot that Veterans Day every weekend I always see at least one or 2 bucks at mid day but they never come the same way they’re not on any travel trail/ run and it’s not exact science with the timing. This year I finally had one in range with zero shot at 30 yards in thick thick stuff. The only reason I never trimmed a lane back there is because the one spot I did trim a lane into something similar I never saw a deer there again. I figured anything coming through will stop but he was far more interested in the doe he was chasing than he was interested in walking. My personal opinion of that spot is after 3 years of hunting it next year the stars should finally align for me as they all did have one common location they passed through and I’m going to set a tree in that vacinity. I’m not so sure if this helps you much but I more so wanted to validate your feelings of it being a hard hunt. ( spots about 3.5 miles back for the record) my most valuable piece of advice in terms of hunting it would be learn it well on your feet during the early hun season right after bow ends. That’s what I did years ago and still do to this day. It’s certainly paid off during gun season and changed my opinion on bow hunting in a very positive way

005CB246-2696-4153-A985-B40FECB56CD7.jpegBB4E0DD9-622A-4083-9C87-6D0568371538.jpeg
This was my 2021 buck taken in north central PA in the hills during rifle season, I’ve seen some absolute beauties come out of there and on cameras. They are there but are extremely difficult to find.

I am not an experienced mountain hunter but we have a good bit of that type terrain here as well. I view it as a real weakness in my hunting game and intend to change that this coming season. I have spent a good bit of time talking to guys that have been or are routinely successful in that type ground and I have listened to a number of podcast with guys that consistently kill good deer in the mountains. There are few things that always matter for the deer regardless of the type terrain, food, water, cover and pressure. For the hunter, it's access and air movement. So what I have been doing the last week or so is e-scouting for areas that have a relative concentration of terrain features that setup for consistent deer travel but also the ability to have wind and thermal adaptability. I have a couple of areas like that located so now it's time to go walk them and toss a lot of milkweed while getting a feel for feed, bedding, travel and rut activity based on visible sign left from this season. May not be the right or best approach but that is what I am rolling with at least for this coming season.

Add MA, NH,VT, ME to that list. I agree with @Tim0712 in big woods the bucks rarely have a specific home. But there are lots of bedding and feeding areas that are used regularly and most importantly the land creates funnels the deer get channeled through as they navigate between various destinations. The biggest thing I’ve been learning is to use the saddle when it’s the right tool for the job and don’t get your head set that you have to be in the saddle all the time. Set up when and where the intel says it’s time.
33C5F6C8-6CC7-4442-A4E5-06AD3934129F.jpeg

Add MA, NH,VT, ME to that list. I agree with @Tim0712 in big woods the bucks rarely have a specific home. But there are lots of bedding and feeding areas that are used regularly and most importantly the land creates funnels the deer get channeled through as they navigate between various destinations. The biggest thing I’ve been learning is to use the saddle when it’s the right tool for the job and don’t get your head set that you have to be in the saddle all the time. Set up when and where the intel says it’s time.
View attachment 81096
What state? I’m assuming it’s yours and it looks like a dandy!

Aside from the fact that I’ve spoken to @Jammintree on our hunting locations…. That hollow drop on the left beam screams what zone he hunts haha

The thing about big woods / mountain hunting is that you have to be willing to hike a long way, drag along way, and often have a lot of sits seeing little or no deer. But the payoff to all the long days and hard work is great. Most hunters just don’t wanna work that hard but it’s a great way to get yourself out into lesser pressured regions where mature deer seek sanctuary. The hardest part is doing it in a way that doesn’t blow out all the deer. I believe the deer that live in remote places are MUCH more sensitive to the slightest amount of human activity.

The thing about big woods / mountain hunting is that you have to be willing to hike a long way, drag along way, and often have a lot of sits seeing little or no deer. But the payoff to all the long days and hard work is great. Most hunters just don’t wanna work that hard but it’s a great way to get yourself out into lesser pressured regions where mature deer seek sanctuary. The hardest part is doing it in a way that doesn’t blow out all the deer. I believe the deer that live in remote places are MUCH more sensitive to the slightest amount of human activity.
100% agree, you obviously hunt the big woods I can tell.

There’s also a distinction between big woods & mountain hunting… you big woods guys can go for miles & miles & have low deer density ( still some great deer out there) @Topdog @Tim0712 , countless more. Then you get in parts of WV, MD & OH that are big pieces but you could be on stand in under an hour with a mean hike but you are in the game! Mountains / thermals the works but not the size scale roadless terrain. I’ve not yet tackled big woods but every story I read & podcast i listen to stirs something in me!

"The hardest part is doing it in a way that doesn’t blow out all the deer."

this. ive known this for a while now, but for some reason when i get into the woods more often than not i forget and turn into a twig stomping tree shaking oaf, or make a bit of noise and then give up on it as "the damage has been done" and walk loudly afterwards, its weird. i'm pretty sure this is why i find so much poop and prints, and so few deer. to be honest, moving quietly through the woods is the main area i need to improve on, but i keep buying crap instead. somehow the knowledge of that hasn't translated to doing it yet though.

i also don't think that what i hunt in Maryland (closer to DC, not western MD) qualifies as "big woods" - some of the game lands that i've driven through up in PA or in western MD where it's just miles and miles of seemingly monotonous single-vegitation-type forests are an extra level. my woods are medium to small in reality i think but the noise element carries over.

Appreciate everyone's input! Very encouraging for my future mountain adventures. There are certainly some brutes posted on this thread.

Regarding tactics, I agree with most of the ideas posted on this thread. I need to simplify the hunt, let the sign tell me where to be, and focus on food, and pinch points.

My plan is to set up trail cams in the late spring on mock scrapes in an attempt to get some intel on what's out there. I won't be setting cams up in hunting locations, like @Jammintree stated, they are very sensitive to human activity. I'll mainly hunt pitch points around water and primary scrapes surrounding food sources. Exciting stuff.

One tactic I heard on the "Truth From the Stand" Podcast was to use mock scapes strategically during all three phases of the rut on mountain deer. They suggested setting up mock scapes surrounding active sign during the rut. Often times bucks in the area will check out these locations within the next 48 hours wondering what buck is coming into his area. I agreed with the use of this tactic since it's common to see multiple bucks check out mock scapes within the first 48 hours. This would be more of an on-the-spot setup rather than something that was pre-scouted. Thoughts?

Also, how often do you call when hunting in the mountains? I feel like calling (grunts, rattles) is much more effective since the deer do not encounter hunters very often.

There’s also a distinction between big woods & mountain hunting… you big woods guys can go for miles & miles & have low deer density ( still some great deer out there) @Topdog @Tim0712 , countless more. Then you get in parts of WV, MD & OH that are big pieces but you could be on stand in under an hour with a mean hike but you are in the game! Mountains / thermals the works but not the size scale roadless terrain. I’ve not yet tackled big woods but every story I read & podcast i listen to stirs something in me!
It’s an addiction like no other be careful, my mind doesn’t quit, I look over maps all night while most are sleeping lmao, I’ve hunted the mid west and know how great other states are, all those trips were also a bust, I get the most satisfaction hands down by staying home and chasing deep woods giants, if I get one great, if not that’s ok too, the only thing that matters to me is I give it 100% of my time so I can live with myself all winter if I eat tag soup!

Also, how often do you call when hunting in the mountains? I feel like calling (grunts, rattles) is much more effective since the deer do not encounter hunters very often.

I’ve had some amazing encounters because of calling deer with grunts and bleets. But I’ve also been busted because of them, a lot. Once you call, if they are interested, they look for you and often circle you to get your wind and size you up. Non dominant bucks are afraid of getting beat up and dominant bucks have lived through every trick in the book. So, beware.

My personal experience in Pennsylvania is this. I hunt two areas that are roughly 4 hours apart. One has a mountain 'range' with a lot of land surrounding it. The other is norther PA and is quite different.

My experience in northern PA has been the following. I've seen multiple quality bucks WAY BACK in. I have also seen multiple quality bucks near dirt roads, housing, etc. My mentality is check every square inch I possibly can and make a decision from there.

1. Is it worth it - absolutely (for me). Maybe not others
2. Do they have the nutrition - I would say yes because of what I witnessed with my own eyes
3. Do they wonder too much - for my liking yes and no. Yes because you can have one locked down and he disappears. No, because sometimes they only use such a small area and seeing them can be difficult.

My personal experience in Pennsylvania is this. I hunt two areas that are roughly 4 hours apart. One has a mountain 'range' with a lot of land surrounding it. The other is norther PA and is quite different.

My experience in northern PA has been the following. I've seen multiple quality bucks WAY BACK in. I have also seen multiple quality bucks near dirt roads, housing, etc. My mentality is check every square inch I possibly can and make a decision from there.

1. Is it worth it - absolutely (for me). Maybe not others
2. Do they have the nutrition - I would say yes because of what I witnessed with my own eyes
3. Do they wonder too much - for my liking yes and no. Yes because you can have one locked down and he disappears. No, because sometimes they only use such a small area and seeing them can be difficult.
I’ll second this. In the areas that I have hunted for a while and know really well, it seems like on years where the gun pressure is severe, the biggest bucks seek refuge by going into either the deepest and steepest woods OR by hiding right in next to the housing developments.

I’ll second this. In the areas that I have hunted for a while and know really well, it seems like on years where the gun pressure is severe, the biggest bucks seek refuge by going into either the deepest and steepest woods OR by hiding right in next to the housing developments.

Yep. A mature deer will elude pressure. But that doesn't mean there is pressure up against a lone house in the woods. Seen this multiple times. As long as he feels safe he can be anywhere.

The one deer I was after this year was only bedding 100 yards from a road. Its just where he was he wasn't feeling pressure. Ohhhh the 'why's' of hunting mature deer. I just hear it way too often that you need to go "way back" to find/kill mature deer. Simply not the case.

Back